No Modchip but modded?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kevs, Mar 5, 2008.

Mar 5, 2008

No Modchip but modded? by Kevs at 11:35 PM (1,477 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Kevs
    OP

Newcomer Kevs Member

United States
    Hello I am a 38 year old man and bought my son a wii back when it first came out. It is a d2a model with the legs still there, as we got it very close to release date. I recently went to a 'asian' store to get it modded, and I saw the guy mod it without putting any chip in, about 1 wire was moved. It only took a few seconds. I have some burned games that work including donkey kong, mario and sonic @ olympics, etc, but when I tried to burn smash bros dvd5, it didn't work. I get a unable to read disc error. My son really wants to play it, as do I, so I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this magic modding? Or why smash won't work?

2. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    You're mistaken. There will definitely be a chip in there.

Ring the guy who modded it and find out which one.

3. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    There is no way that there isn't a modchip in it ask the guy that modded and if it's true that there isn't a chip in it then what wire did he move or cut or change?

4. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Quicksoldering a Wiikey takes no time at all, and is so small that you probably didn't notice it, so that's probably what he did.

5. Kevs
    OP

Newcomer Kevs Member

United States
    Ok I think its a wiikey then. Do I need to upgrade my firmware with the 1.9b or 1.9g stuff since I just got it modded recently?? Why doesn't Smash Bros Jap Dvd5 work?

6. 0nyx

Member 0nyx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oh,i think i know the problem.You need to enable region override.You must download a wiikey config disk,burn it then in the setting turn region override ON.

7. Kevs
    OP

Newcomer Kevs Member

United States
    Well the modder told me it should be region free already, so i am confused if i need to update the wiikey at all

8. theman69

Member theman69 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    dont just assume its a wiikey [​IMG] it could well be any other chip >.

9. Kevs
    OP

Newcomer Kevs Member

United States
    Well I checked the site on their card and the only ones they sell are wiikey and d2ckey and argon and my wii is d2a so it has to be a wiikey. Do you know if I need to upgrade my firmware at all?

I am very vexed on this issue and would like some reassurance before I try upgrading my wiikey and using up more dvds. Thanks!

10. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Simple answer download the Wiikey config disc or update disc and use it, you'll soon find if you have a Wiikey or not.

And Wiikey's are region-free chips but they need to have their region-free status turned on using the config disc first.

11. Kevs
    OP

Newcomer Kevs Member

United States
    Okay I downloaded the 1.9b update disc and burned it onto a disc. When I put it in my wii, I get "an error occured, eject the disc and turn off the wii, and refer to the operations manual" and my wii makes loud clicking noises.

Anyone know what's up? Is my mod chip already updated or something?

12. theman69

Member theman69 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    your burning with what program i suggest imgburn and i think u should just install 1.9g right away....if the dvd spins in there and stops try take it out and try again its in GC mode so be sure to have a GC controller with u

13. Kevs
    OP

Newcomer Kevs Member

United States
    All's good now after 1.9b, thanks everyone.