No Man’s Sky to get major online features in upcoming Beyond update

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 15, 2019.

Front-page
    6231E081-0F47-43ED-8767-51A6DCE8BA03.

It’s 2019, and No Man’s Sky is still getting new content, after its highly controversial release in 2016. Hello Games has been showing constant dedication to their game, with last year’s Next update, and soon, Beyond. No Man’s Sky: Beyond is the name for the three upcoming content expansions that the game will be seeing this year. The first of which will No Man’s Sky: Online, and as the name implies, it is a massive online and social feature which will allow players to presumably interact in large groups. We already saw the addition of online multiplayer for groups of four in the Next update, but this will build upon that. Hello Games stressed the fact that this will not turn the game into an MMO, though it will have similar elements to the genre. This update will be free for all owners of the game, and will pointedly not have any type of microtransactions nor will it require a separate subscription fee. While we don’t know much about No Man’s Sky: Beyond, or Online, more information will arrive closer to the update’s projected Summer 2019 release.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (37 replies)
  1. Illuminaticy

Illuminaticy GBAtemp Fan

Oct 6, 2018
    United States
    Member when No Man's Sky was supposed to have all these "big updates" when the game launched?

I member'

Glad they are at least still working on it. They could have easily just dropped the shittiest game possible and never fixed it
    (looking at you Payday 2 on console)

2. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Oh dang, not sure how I missed this on the subreddit.

I've been meaning to pick this back up ever since NEXT came out but kept getting distracted.

Robika likes this.
  3. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    I want to like this game. I have from the start, but I just can't seem to get into it. I feel like it's too late for these updates tbh

Maximilious and gnmmarechal like this.
  4. Reploid
    This message by Reploid has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Mar 15, 2019, Reason: Not an image board.
    Mar 15, 2019
  5. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Props to the devs for sticking with it. I might dare even give it a try, just to see what it’s like.

6. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    If memory serves, it usually goes on sale whenever a big update drops.
    Though with no set date it's hard to say how long that'll be.

FateForWindows likes this.
  7. MrLucariox

MrLucariox GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2018
    Turkey
    Wait... Was this game alive? Last time I heard something about it was when no man was playing it.

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    People still care about this game? :blink:

9. sTo0z

sTo0z GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2004
    United States
    USA
    I too was super disappointed with the launch of the game, but I am super impressed with all of this post launch support. Even now, big content updates for free. Most other companies would have tried to monetize this.

I am cautious of their long term though. It can't really be driving any new sales, so I hope they don't kill themselves with all of this.

Although I really appreciate them building their game out, they seem to have a genuine passion for it, which is what they've always claimed.

SpiffyJUNIOR and FateForWindows like this.
  10. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Well at least they’re supporting it, I wonder what the reaction would have been had it gone ‘early access’ from the beginning?

MythicalData likes this.
  11. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    There are still a few thousand people who play it, and during new big update launches that number skyrockets. https://steamcharts.com/app/275850 <

I'm glad the devs have been working so hard on the game, especially after the dumpster fire that was it's launch. Most large time devs would've just abandoned the game and said fuck it, but Hello Games seems to really care about the game and are at least trying to make up for their shitty release.

12. MrLucariox

MrLucariox GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2018
    Turkey
    Wow, that's a success on their side after that fiasco.

13. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Bethesda should hire Hello games since they do seem to know a lot better how to handle a shitstorm nad turn it over then bethesda can

14. DANTENDO

DANTENDO Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Must of crafted antimatter hundreds of times and still don't kno what it is:lol:

15. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Sadly even with the NEXT update it just seemed like it was too late... It still felt repetitive and just got boring after a while sadly.... I was so hyped for this game before release day and then all hope for this game got killed when I saw what they gave us..

I tried... I really did... But just can't get into a game that I was lied to about. That lingering sadness from the release is still there.

16. DANTENDO

DANTENDO Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Move on thers thousands of games out ther to make you happy

17. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    I've seen some cheap steam keys floating round for 10-30 . Prolly can find a good deal

8BitWonder likes this.
  18. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    But it had so much potential and it was murdered way before it released :(

Darksabre72 likes this.
  19. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    A game should be good and working on its 1.0 release. Trying to trot out the "but it's good *now*" defense is stupid.

One big reason that i actively avoid Bethesda, in spite of my strong slant in favor of single player. Bethesda hasn't finished a game since the effing 1980s.

20. DANTENDO

DANTENDO Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    You Cant expect everything to be perfect even with patches sure Bethesda do ther best working shitload hours just appreciate what they giv you-if you've never pld fallout games then you hav missed out