[No Longer Working] Community freeShop fork - open source eShop alternative

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Dionicio3, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    After this ill-fated app kept changing hands in development hell, it finally came to an end... I haven't seen such a developmental shit-show like this one in a very long time. Thanks for all the free games though, as much of a pain in the ass it was just to keep the app updated and running right... (Constantly updating every time I open it, and always erasing my titlekeys URL always pissed me off)

Pro-tip: Don't bite off more than you can chew if you can't keep it going.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  2. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Then I suppose you're not looking hard enough. Egos always end up clashing on FOSS projects :P .

wrathsoffire76 and Ryccardo like this.
  3. Superman321

Superman321 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2018
    Germany
    Are you joking?

4. Tac 21

Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2008
    Canada
    thanks for the service while it was still running.

time to lock up this thread... for those of you whining that you can't find your games and downloads without freshop maybe shouldn't even be CFWing in the first place

5. wrathsoffire76
    This message by wrathsoffire76 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Feb 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Feb 9, 2019
  6. PokeNev
    This message by PokeNev has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Feb 9, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Feb 9, 2019
  7. trainboy2019

trainboy2019 Well-Known Member

GBAtemp Patron
    trainboy2019 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 6, 2015
    United States
    GA
    They'll continue asking, might as well leave a central place to ask.

8. WoOzGaME

WoOzGaME Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2017
    France
    A new DB is in developpement ? Or nobody try to save Freeshop ?

9. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Nintendo updated their security for the 3DS games. It demands a valid ticket to authorize any download.
    So the freeshop is dead forever.

10. WoOzGaME

WoOzGaME Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2017
    France
    Nobody can create a DB and add their CIAs ?

Envoyé de mon SM-N950F en utilisant Tapatalk

11. Dionicio3
    OP

Dionicio3 AyyMDionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    They can, it would just be highly illegal

trainboy2019 and Quantumcat like this.
  12. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    well, people can do that but not only it's illegal but it also costs money

jupitteer likes this.
  13. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Do you like GBA games? They're probably up....I think Capitan Toad is there, too.

14. Nazosan

Nazosan GBAtemp Fan

May 12, 2009
    United States
    The database would also go bad within days (hours?) each time they did one too once Nintendo logged large numbers of different IPs downloading stuff at the same time. It would cost insane amounts of money and stop working almost right away, then someone would have to spend an insane amount of money yet again and again and again and again... Even if there were a bunch of donor IDs, it wouldn't take very long for virtually the entire database to go bad. On the other hand, if they don't give away their IDs and "sanitize" the files before sharing Nintendo can't tell where they came from and can't realistically ban. It's the same thing as with the Switch. It simply is not viable. Period.

Meanwhile there are CIAs all over the web that people can easily search and find (and even that one site with the weird name as if they were CD-ROM images when they obviously are not which has them all easily accessible to everyone) which make all this jumping through hoops wildly unnecessary and silly. This is viable and even downright easy. Besides, we don't talk about "warez" (geez, I guess no one uses that word anymore now?) here. Since you are just doing legal backups of stuff you already own, of course, you can just image your cartridges and convert those images to CIA installers so you can safely store the cartridges away. :-P

15. AkitoUF

AkitoUF GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Chile
    Just get normal cias. It's no different to when you search for roms.

16. RookieKid

RookieKid Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2017
    You can find it online if you look around, don't want to post any links here if it's against the rules. I've downloaded all the game I might want to play in the future, and have installed about half of them on my 3DS. I've figured a lot of games will be harder to come buy once the links are dead.

17. RedL
    This message by RedL has been removed from public view by Minox, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:17 AM, Reason: Bad flamebait.
    Jul 12, 2019 at 12:53 AM