No longer can play Gamecube games, whether official or backup

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Psycho Sonic, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Psycho Sonic
    OP

Psycho Sonic Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    United States
    It's been a long time since I last played my Wii. I blew off the dust, and it seems to be working, but Gamecube games no longer play, whether they're original official games or burned backups. I originally had the ability to play regular and backups from the Disc Channel and Neogamma R8b3, but now neither will play. I'm still able to play official and backup Wii games from the Disc Channel, Neogamma, and Wiiflow. I'm running under 4.2U.

Any idea on what I can do to get those GC games running again? Backups being playable from Disc Channel would obviously be preferred, but if nothing else I would like to be able to at least play original discs as well.

If this is something that can best be answered somewhere else, I'd greatly appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I remember using this board years ago to do this kind of stuff, but it's been a long time.

SYSCHECK:

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I would start with checking which MIOS you have installed - it can be the official one, cMIOS or DIOS MIOS. Fixing the problem should be easy enough - get MMM and re-install the official MIOS, then work from there depending on what you actually want to run. ;)

3. Psycho Sonic
    OP

Psycho Sonic Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    United States
    Thank you very much for your help Foxi! I edited the OP to have my syscheck, which indicates I have MIOS v10. According to guides I've found, this is the best MIOS for playing GC games. Would you still recommend I go back to original then re-update to that MIOS?

4. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    It's definitely worth a shot. Reinstalling the official MIOS won't hurt.

If you wanted to play disc backups then you'd need a cMIOS. I don't know how many different ones exist, but the most preferred one is Wiigator's cMIOS. I haven't messed with disc backups at all, but I know that you'd need a backup launcher, a cMIOS, and a wii that's capable of playing dvd backups. If your Wii was previously capable of running backups (and your disc drive is still functioning properly) then you should be fine.

On another note. It might be a good idea to update your current softmod using ModMii. You'd use the System Updater option within ModMii and it'll ask for your syscheck.csv file. Once it see's what you're currently running, it'll let you know which of yourIOS's are in need of an update. I only bring this up because while looking at your syscheck I noticed that IOS249 and 250 are both base 56 with d2x-v8final. Which makes one of those IOS's redundant.

You shouldn't need to update the IOS's to get your GC games running. But it's a good idea to do it if you use your Wii for more than just gamecube games.

5. HNKii

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Mario Kart Wii-DS Link Play Stadium
    OMG YOU HAVE BOOT2 V3?!:blink: