the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 7-related issue

Error: 0x80070522: A required privilege is not held by the client.

Okay? That makes no sense since I'm the only one who uses this PC, no one else does, unless they asked, but it's been over year since someone else has used it. That being said, I don't know why it's flipping out, I can't seem to find any consistent or relevant information on why my Admin account is no longer set to "admin"; when I try to set it to such, I can't change it, the "save" setting is grayed out. Am I totally screwed?

Windows 7 64-bit Pro. Was working fine the other day, but now, it's freaking out whenever I try to copy and paste files. Yes, I can make folders and add files to them just fine, D drive works fine (my second HDD), so it's not the HDD having issues. I've had this issue before, as I recall, but I forgot how I fixed it.

Maybe I'm going to have to install Windows 10 on my second HDD after all. :wacko:

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it only throwing error messages? Or asking for the Administrator permissions?

It's just showing an error message in Windows, no blue screen or anything. I can copy and paste folders within C, so I can still copy some things, but files flat out have that error pop up. This happened to me about a year ago, and it worked again, but I forgot how to fix it. Nothing on Google seems to be consistent, like, no solution is consistent and it's really starting to annoy me. I'm the only account user, I set this up initially to be an admin account, and I turned off UAC altogether. What's going on?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
It's just showing an error message in Windows, no blue screen or anything. I can copy and paste folders within C, so I can still copy some things, but files flat out have that error pop up. This happened to me about a year ago, and it worked again, but I forgot how to fix it. Nothing on Google seems to be consistent, like, no solution is consistent and it's really starting to annoy me. I'm the only account user, I set this up initially to be an admin account, and I turned off UAC altogether. What's going on?
What are your current account priveleges? Is it Admin? User? Limited? We never know.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are your current account priveleges? Is it Admin? User? Limited? We never know.

It's set at "user" but when I set it up after getting the computer and the OS installed, it was set to "admin". I can't set it to admin from this account, as the "save changes" is grayed out, so, no, I can't change it from the account I want to be admin. I guess that's a security feature in Windows 7. How else can I change this account to admin?

Edit: This command prompt might work, not sure

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555910

Edit 2: Got the admin account activated (simply called Admin), can I go into that, then to my primary account and change that to admin too?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
It's set at "user" but when I set it up after getting the computer and the OS installed, it was set to "admin". I can't set it to admin from this account, as the "save changes" is grayed out, so, no, I can't change it from the account I want to be admin. I guess that's a security feature in Windows 7. How else can I change this account to admin?

Edit: This command prompt might work, not sure

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555910

Edit 2: Got the admin account activated (simply called Admin), can I go into that, then to my primary account and change that to admin too?
That could work, i hope.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That could work, i hope.

Okay, so the account itself is labeled as "administrator" on the log on screen, and to be sure it wasn't a fluke, I created a dupe user account on the log on screen called "topkek" as standard user. Sure enough, Admin account is labeled as admin, as is my main account, so that's good. As for why I can't copy files to the root, I don't know. I know it's a safety thing with Windows 7 to prevent unauthorized viruses/trojans, etc from harming the system files, but it's a double edged sword. I'm going to look more into this. At the very least, I know my account is a true admin account, but it's just with a weird minor limitation.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so the account itself is labeled as "administrator" on the log on screen, and to be sure it wasn't a fluke, I created a dupe user account on the log on screen called "topkek" as standard user. Sure enough, Admin account is labeled as admin, as is my main account, so that's good. As for why I can't copy files to the root, I don't know. I know it's a safety thing with Windows 7 to prevent unauthorized viruses/trojans, etc from harming the system files, but it's a double edged sword. I'm going to look more into this. At the very least, I know my account is a true admin account, but it's just with a weird minor limitation.
That's really weird though. Do you know how it happened?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really weird though. Do you know how it happened?

Nope, no idea, And to double check even further, under Properties, Security, and Group/user names, all the check boxes are checked, including "read" and "write", etc. So on the surface, everything is copacetic.

Isn't there a setting in Properties that changes who's allowed to edit files? Try that

Already did, and all the users/admin settings have them checked for both reading and writing files.

What I can do with the C drive:

- Create folders and place files in them, delete folders and un-delete them.
- Create folders from other sources and drag/drop them into the C drive.
- Copy/paste folders over and over without a hitch.

Only thing I can't do is:

- Saving files to the root, but if they're in folders, they download fine. This I don't get.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For how long have you been running this installation? Maybe is it time to backup your files, and start over? That would be what I would do, personally.

Currently unfeasible, I don't have the funds to get a big enough external HDD I'm afraid. No HDDs I have are big enough to do a clone of the drive. That, and I don't have the disc for Windows 7 64-bit pro. Perhaps it is time, maybe, but as of now? I don't have any way of doing it. I'd have to use USB flash drive installation to get a new OS as my DVD ROM had to be sacrificed for my 2nd HDD (not enough power cables).

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Currently unfeasible, I don't have the funds to get a big enough external HDD I'm afraid. No HDDs I have are big enough to do a clone of the drive. That, and I don't have the disc for Windows 7 64-bit pro. Perhaps it is time, maybe, but as of now? I don't have any way of doing it. I'd have to use USB flash drive installation to get a new OS as my DVD ROM had to be sacrificed for my 2nd HDD (not enough power cables).
Well then, may I ask. Can you live with no access to C:\ root?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then, may I ask. Can you live with no access to C:\ root?

I have access to the C drive, again, and I can copy folders, place files in them, make folders, etc, and do whatever I want within those folders. I suppose I can, this did happen before and just went away one day. I'm sorry if I stressed you out :(

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I have access to the C drive, again, and I can copy folders, place files in them, make folders, etc, and do whatever I want within those folders. I suppose I can, this did happen before and just went away one day. I'm sorry if I stressed you out :(
Hey it's alright, as long as you can workaround, it's fine, right?

Reactions: the_randomizer

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In case if you need another way to create an account and/or modify existing account type, you can go to "run" and type "compmgmt.msc" without the quote. In there you will find "Local Users and Groups", click on that, you should see a folder called "Users". By clicking into Users folder, you can create a new user by right clicking on a blank space or edit existing users by right clicking them.
Just another way just in case if the default way fails you again.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1