No$GBA 2.4 Released

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Seyiji, Mar 22, 2007.

Mar 22, 2007

No$GBA 2.4 Released by Seyiji at 10:41 AM (8,702 Views / 0 Likes) 80 replies

1. Seyiji
    OP

Member Seyiji Rawr :3

United States
    21 March 2007 - version 2.4
    - xboo: retested all xboo functions, re-fixed gba-bios dump, faster nds-download
    - nds/2d: fixed crash on empty/unallocated extended-obj-palette-slot (spiderman)
    - nds/3d/help: added various important notes in polygon light parameters chapter
    - nds/3d: recurses directional matrix (as on real nds, instead of gl_normalize)
    - nds/3d: skinning support (by soft_mul_vector, instead opengl modelview matrix)
    - nds/cart/help: added new info on first 2K of secure area (fixed bytes, crc16)
    - nds/gba/xboo: includes cmd/length in checksums (rather than raw data-checksum)
    - nds/xboo: get_info shows nds-backup type (chip-id and status-register bits)
    - nds/2d: fixed unrotated 512x256/512x512 bitmap sizes (thanks Kevin Keeling)
    - nds/dma: prevents dma from accessing tcm (for compatibility with downhill jam)
    - nds/xboo: added download NDS-cart from NDS-slot (slow 2 megabytes per minute)
    - nds/gba/xboo: splits downloads into small blocks (with block-retry on bad crc)
    - nds/cartloader: also accepts already-decrypted-and-destroyed secure-area-id's
    - gba/undoc/help: added newly discovered wram-disable bits (4000800h bits 0,5)
    - nds/cart: emulates correct nds chip-id size-field in respect to rom-image size
    - nds/cart/help: added note on nds-cart chip-id size field (nn+1 megabytes)
    - nds/screenshot: supports dual 256x192pix screens (as simple 256x384 bitmap)
    - nds/3d: supports keep-old-depth-setting for translucent-polygons (DepthMask)
    - nds/3d/rear: supports rear-plane rgba/depth bitmap (killer slow when/if used)
    - nds/3d/io: new 8bit write support, fixed 16bit write (accidently out_32_norm)

http://nocash.emubase.de/gba.htm

2. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Might try this so see if EBA works....

3. dualscreenman

Member dualscreenman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Does this mean it supports unencrypted roms?
    *EDIT* Yes it does!

*is testing right now*

Unplayable
    Metroid Prime: Hunters: Boots, but gives black screens when entering gameplay along with a horrible screeching sound.

New Super Mario Bros: Still emulating at an insanely slow speed even with speed hacks. (I mean insane)

Sonic Rush: Boots, still unbearably slow.

Playable
    Elite Beat Agents: Playable. Very slow. Great sound, 3D issues from last version resolved. (Character models don't have missing parts, etc)
    [​IMG]

Super Mario 64 DS: Boots, most 3D problems resolved now.
    [​IMG]

A lighting glitch or something is present:
    [​IMG]
    Oh, I guess screenshots don't get mutilated when you press prt scr inside no$ anymore. Cool.

[​IMG]
    Also, the weird texture bug for stuff like locks on doors is fixed.

All of this proper emulation comes at a cost, and the game runs 40% slower. (It used to run near half, it now runs near 30% of normal speed.)

Pacman World 3: Playable. Great sound, with only a low staticy sound that is probably from the emulated CPUs running out of sync. While the music is great, the main screen is very slow. I have gotten past it using speed hacks. In game is unenjoyably slow as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yoshi's Island DS: Plays great! runs mostly at full speed. [​IMG] BGM and most sound effects are too quiet. Glitch in 1-3 still persists.

4. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Wait, so I can just use the roms converting them?

5. dualscreenman

United States
    Yes, as of now you can.

I'll keep my post updates with my compat notes as I usually do.

6. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Just ran a clean EBA rom. Doesn't recognise the image

7. dualscreenman

United States
    That's strange. My clean EBA ROM works just fine.

8. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Can you tell me what settings you used to make it run?

9. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    A lot of roms is giving me the "saved data cannot be read" message

10. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Excellent! Show more screenshots to see what's improvement. I find that Megaman Battle Network 5 showing Megaman's body is now fully 3-D emulated just fine.

Megaman ZX still crashed after Video Codec. [​IMG]

Ryuusei no Rockman Dragon - Still cannot see the metools when you are battle them.

11. dualscreenman

United States
    @Harsky I believe I used 8kb EEPROM as the savetype.

12. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    [​IMG]
    Death Note: Kira Game. Older versions everything on the top screen didn't show up, but I was able to get past the title screen. For some reason I can't get into the main menu when clicking on the touch screen. An older version I was able to play the game for a while, which is completely baffling me.

[​IMG]
    Bleach DS 2nd can navigate the menus fine apparently, with the music pretty clear most of the time, but...

[​IMG]
    In fight nothing on the top screen is visible, and from the looks of everything showing up pre fight on the bottom screen it seems kinda slow.

13. sTo0z

Member sTo0z GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think I'm even going to bother with Mario and Luigi again, lol, I'll cry if I see those nearly invisible sprites one more time.

*hint hint no$gba creator* [​IMG]

14. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Changed the save setting. EBA "works". Just horribly slowly

15. Jeda

Member Jeda GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    [​IMG]

Puzzle Quest: Select EEProm 0.5KB as savetype
    About 10 seconds of blackscreen after the two screens with publisher's info
    Speed is around 80% map 100% juwelgame if the percentage in the title is to be trusted, but it feels a lot slower than the pc demo version (using 2.8 ghz cpu)
    Saving works
    Sound doesn't work but sometimes does for few seconds [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mario vs. Donkeykong 2: Select Flash256K
    Intro video runs at full speed. Sound quality of intro perfect, but sound itself lags
    Menu speed 60%, ingame 100%
    Some layer problems on the lower screen (too light)
    Saving works
    Ingame sound crackling

16. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I'm impressed, and the one thing that annoyed a lot who can use DS stuff (running encrypted and non-encrypted games) has been included.

Makes me with I wasn't with an old 1.5ghz machine, but I'll live. I guess when I can find a nice DS kit that just runs stuff straight like my old F2A I used ot have for the GBA at a good price without having to patch stupid roms and the rest I'll get my fix that way.

I really do prefer trying before buying as I hate being burned for $20-35 on crap.

17. Stitch

Member Stitch GBAtemp Regular

I's it normal that my clicks on the "touchscreen" dont get recognized properly? I can't even start some games because i can't click the Start button...

18. dualscreenman

United States
    You need a copy of the firmware. It has calibration settings some games need.

19. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    That's funny, I noticed that in the notes, but when I tried it, I'd get the usual rom-image crash dialog (the firmware shows up and everything, its only when i click on it). Encrypted roms are still fine. I'll try playing around some more.

Edit: Yeah turns out it's because I'm using the firmware to boot stuff (in options "Reset/Startup Entrypoint" is set to "GBA BIOS" - this makes it boot to the normal NDS firmware menu). If I set it to "start directly" decrypted roms work fine.

By the way, before you take screenshots, can you PLEASE set "GBA mode" in the options to "VGA" - I'm sick of seeing washed-out colours [​IMG] (VGA displays the correct colour values, just like other emulators - the other options are just to make it look a bit more like the DS's actual screen).

20. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    The encryped roms are working fine but so is decrypted also! [​IMG]