No experience with PSP, where is the best to buy?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by tomrev, May 29, 2010.

May 29, 2010
  1. tomrev
    OP

Member tomrev GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I wish to buy PSP now. Please suggest the place to buy online. New / Used is ok but I need budget price.

2. Overman1977

Member Overman1977 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I take it you want to be able to hack it?

If so, you should probably buy used or from someone else who already has it modded. Alot of the current models are difficult to hack if not impossible.

Go with a phat or a 2000 and you'll do fine.

If you don't want a to hack your PSP, I'm sorry, but I do't know any good sites to buy one. Try your local computer/electronics store.

3. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Jesus, there are a lot of these threads about.
    Best PSP for cheap is a used 1000/2000. 1000 is probably cheapest (though prices are brought up by hackability) but its also the chunkiest and overall worst specced model. 2000s may or may not be hackable but are slimmer and have more RAM than a 1000

4. gygelly

Newcomer gygelly Newbie

United States
    I'm kind of in the same boat..lookin to upgrade from a PSP1000. Mostly I want to get component out for upcoming MH3.
    As the other's have said, if you want to be able to "fully" hack your PSP, you'd best go with an early model 2000 (some 2000s and all 3000s are unhackable).

However, I'd still like some advice:
    1. Is loading GEN 5.03 with chickhen (or better yet, mhuspeed) on the 3000 really that much a pain in the ass? Is it not worth it to have the better screen? Or it buggy/lacking in game compatibility compared to 5.50.
    2. I saw that the more recently released slims(2000) with the 90v1 MBs are hackable. What's the deal with these? if I go buy one new in the store, is there are good chance I'll get one?

5. Overman1977

Member Overman1977 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    If you buy one used, you can always check under the battery for the model number (2000, 2001, etc...)

As for ChickHen, I'm not sure, but I've heard it is a bit of a pain in the ass, and 5.50 is supposed to have significantly better compatibility for games...most especially newer ones.

As I've advised before....I would buy one used and already modded or simply used and make sure it's a model that can be hacked.

6. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    1. Yes, it's a pain in the ass. You can only do it on original firmware v5.03. If you were to buy a brand new -3000 in the store right now, it will be v5.50 or higher. So you'd need either a) a store with really, really old stock or b) to get one used that someone hasn't updated/owned for the sake of using ChickHEN. (You cannot downgrade the -3000 firmware.) The screen is not better than the -2000 -- in fact, one of the reasons I ended up trading in the -3000 was because the screen was so awful. (I own a -2000 and a Go, and after playing on the Go screen, all other PSP screens look like crap, lol.)

2. If you were to find a store selling PSP-2000s brand new, there is a 10% chance you'd find a hackable one .. and that's probably being generous.

7. OtakuGamerZ

Member OtakuGamerZ GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Getting Chickhen to run on a 1000 is a giant pain, but 3000s can get it on the 1st try (almost) everytime. And using Gen on a 3000 has played every game I threw at it, but this only works if you get an old used 3000. If your gonna buy used, might as well get a pre-modded 2000.

8. tomrev
    OP

Member tomrev GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thank you! However, this thread is look like "which PSP i should buy" but these are good infos for me. I bought used PSP 1000 with charger for $95. Is this worth for it price? Before it will arrive to me, modding is a giant pain as OtakuGamerZ said?

9. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Chickhen is a giant pain on 1k, Pandora is also kinda painful, buuuuuut it's a Perm CFW.

10. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    Too bad no one has decrypted the TA088v3 and higher IPL yet..

11. scorned4sega

Newcomer scorned4sega Member

United States
    You can also look at Pawn Shops. They'll usually let you turn it on and then you can check what firmware is on it. The grey PSP 2000's with a "Home" button instead of the PS symbol are a good bet.