Gaming No enemy absorbing in Kirby Epic Yarn?

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
After a game trailer and a few hands-on, I've understood that the new Kirby may not have the usual gulp-an-enemy for a powerup mechanic... instead, he will be able to use preset powers (car,parachute, etc) anytime. Please someone prove me wrong
frown.gif
One of my favorite things about Kirby games was how getting to X point without loosing a certain powerup let you get to secret areas... or how the toughest enemies had the best powerup
biggrin.gif

Red-Blue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's exactly the deal. No enemy absorbing. You can still pick them up and whatnot.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best Kirby games didn't require you to absorb them.

The best ones were actually spin offs but this one looks amazing, I just hope that the energy bar appears in the final version.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
I think it'll be alright, still. I never liked the powers too much - just because if you get hit, you have to chase after them. And you have no attacks without 'em.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
There's been some great Kirby games that didn't include the sucking mechanic. Tilt n' Tumble was cool, Kirby's Dream Course was delightful, and Kirby Canvas Curse is my favorite recent Kirby game thus far.

It's clear that HAL can come up with lots of neat tricks for their little pink puff ball when they want to!

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I just realized the name uses "epic" as a noun instead of a verb.

Makes more sense now.

Adjective. Kirby's yarn is epic (the name is a play on the fact that yarn can mean an epic story, or the fact that the graphical style of the game is yarn). If it were a noun, it would by "Kirby's Epic. Yarn.", and that wouldn't make too much sense.

DunkrWunkah

GBAtemp's Official Dunkr
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
geoflcl said:
There's been some great Kirby games that didn't include the sucking mechanic. Tilt n' Tumble was cool, Kirby's Dream Course was delightful, and Kirby Canvas Curse is my favorite recent Kirby game thus far.

It's clear that HAL can come up with lots of neat tricks for their little pink puff ball when they want to!

geoflcl, you always know how to make everything seem alright. Just look at your signature!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Rydian said:

Makes more sense now.

Adjective. Kirby's yarn is epic (the name is a play on the fact that yarn can mean an epic story, or the fact that the graphical style of the game is yarn). If it were a noun, it would by "Kirby's Epic. Yarn.", and that wouldn't make too much sense.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/epic
n.
1. An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero.
2. A literary or dramatic composition that resembles an extended narrative poem celebrating heroic feats.
3. A series of events considered appropriate to an epic: the epic of the Old West.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
davidsl_128 said:
After a game trailer and a few hands-on, I've understood that the new Kirby may not have the usual gulp-an-enemy for a powerup mechanic... instead, he will be able to use preset powers (car,parachute, etc) anytime. Please someone prove me wrong
frown.gif
One of my favorite things about Kirby games was how getting to X point without loosing a certain powerup let you get to secret areas... or how the toughest enemies had the best powerup
biggrin.gif

+1 to everything you said there

The absorbing thing has been used far too much i admit but i honestly thought thats the best thing about kirby and when i first saw the trailer for this at E3 i thought it looked terrible and everyone seems to be hyping it... maybe i missed something?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best thing to do when you see a game that looks interesting but that you expect different from its franchise is to just forget the name and look at it as a game. Like FFCC: The Crystal Bearers. It was by no means a FFCC game, but as a standard action-adventure game it was actually pretty pleasing.

I enjoyed enemy absorption in Kirby myself but the trick was getting rather old. All the games seemed too similar for their own good. Canvas Curse and a few other Kirby titles helped mix it up but this is a big step.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Well, I've always seen Kirby games as games about getting powerups and beating levels in your favorite way. Depending on the powerups you preferred, you could play Kirby in your favorite way: as a beat'em up using the sword or hammer powers, as a Sonic-esque game running wild with the Wheel powerup, a side scrolling shooter with the fire or ice powerups or any other long range power, etc. Being able to play each level in a different way not only made the game way more fun, but it added replayability by encouraging you to play through the same levels with different powerups to find secrets and stuff.

Just like you say, I can look at it as just a random game. It looks like it will be a great game- just not a great Kirby game
frown.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
good bout time they changed kirby all his games have always been the same since the NES

would you feel the same if link had a gun instead of sword? grew muscles and was a killing machine? my point excatly.

QUOTE(davidsl_128 @ Aug 2 2010, 09:19 PM) After a game trailer and a few hands-on, I've understood that the new Kirby may not have the usual gulp-an-enemy for a powerup mechanic... instead, he will be able to use preset powers (car,parachute, etc) anytime. Please someone prove me wrong
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

i was disappointed aswell that kirby wasn't sucking up enemies like he usually does, a real shame i also don't like the look of the game, they are all made out of string? wtf? we wait ages for a console version of kirby and we get this... will still try the game out though, just won't be the same.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I welcome the change. Developers staying in their safe areas and not being original is just not good for what maybe a breakout hit. (I'm looking at you, Pokemon)

Kirby being sucked into a magic sock and turning into yarn is a very original idea, and Kirby games are normally always good. Give this one a chance.
smile.gif

Yugge

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
monkat said:
Rydian said:

Makes more sense now.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/epic
QUOTE said:
n.
1. An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero.
2. A literary or dramatic composition that resembles an extended narrative poem celebrating heroic feats.
3. A series of events considered appropriate to an epic: the epic of the Old West.
au contraire mon ami:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/epic
Main Entry: 1ep·ic
Pronunciation: \?e-pik\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin epicus, from Greek epikos, from epos word, speech, poem — more at voice
Date: 1589
1 : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an epic
2 a : extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope b : heroic
— ep·i·cal \-pi-k?l\ adjective
— ep·i·cal·ly \-pi-k(?-)l?\ adverb

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It isn't Kirby without enemy sucking up.
It's just a game that named itself wrong.

I'm sure it'll be a fun game, it just won't be a kirby game.
Kirby themed maybe, but not kirby.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM