OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, it's now been officially confirmed after all this time, the E-Reader won't be released in Europe! Personally I'm not too worried, I wasn't really ever interested in the thing, but maybe some other Europeans here are. It looks like you'll need to import, or wait for the "alternative" method Nintendo have mentioned...

Spong.com said:
We can reveal today that the E-Reader will never be released into Europe, following well over a year of 'maybes' from Nintendo regarding the future of the Game Boy Advance peripheral.

Hot on the heels of one NOE insider doubting the possibility of the unit shipping, we have received absolute clarification on the issue. "We won't launch E-Reader in Europe,” confirmed head of PR Shelly Pearce. “We don't think the market potential is great enough to launch the product in Europe - however we will make the downloadable elements that cards provided available via different routes,” ending the debate at last.

As to exactly how any additional content will manage to transcend its cardboard origins remains to be seen. With the launch of the E-Reader heavy Animal Crossing for PAL Game Cube due this fall, this question will soon be answered.
Any thoughts?
wink.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
yeah I see what you mean, Overwhelming... I'm a little like you: I didnt plan to buy the e-reader anyway (e-reader, what is it? lol)
but it's too bad that they don't consider europe as a "great market"...

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I did find it odd that the e-reader was the only region coded device for the gba. the funny part is that ncl (nintendo of japan) has been hinting at releasing a wireless version of the e-reader (which would be its 3rd incarnation over there).

Microtic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
4 different languages... how can they fit that information onto a small card? I don't know if that's what they're hinting at... Maybe they'll release a cart or gamecube game that'll feature a bunch of them in one package!
happy.gif
;

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the e-reader was never released in Europe, that means that the Euro version of Super Mario World 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 didn't have the extra e-reader capabilities of the the Japanese and American release.
So then, was the Euro release made with the extra levels from the e-reader built in or not?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since the e-reader was never released in Europe, that means that the Euro version of Super Mario World 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 didn't have the extra e-reader capabilities of the the Japanese and American release.
So then, was the Euro release made with the extra levels from the e-reader built in or not?
Nope. Nothing! I have the retail cart and it doesn't have any extras at all.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Finally, the e-reader dies the death it should have a long time ago. It was nothing but yet another money grubbing cash cow from Nintendo. How many times can you release the same NES games Nintendo? Honestly?? How many people did you expect to buy into the whole Super Mario Advance 4 e-card deal when you needed 2 GBA's to do the transfer?

Interesting idea, terrible execution, UK gamers should be HAPPY this thing isn't getting anywhere near you.

Tsuihousha

Trophies
XP
Country
I can see why it wasn't released over here in the U.K. I can also see why the marketing potential isn't great enough. The typical scenario when I walk into a game shop usually ends up in me getting dirty looks, and directions to a solitary and dusty corner just for asking where the Gamecube/GBA section is.

Oh, i'm new here, if you hadn't noticed. I'm not one for big entrances.

Foppzter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Since the e-reader was never released in Europe, that means that the Euro version of Super Mario World 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 didn't have the extra e-reader capabilities of the the Japanese and American release.
I wonder if the extras are still in the code and thereby can get accessed by for example a gameshark (does those exist for GBA?), or if they was also cutted away from the code?

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since the e-reader was never released in Europe,  that means that the Euro version of Super Mario World 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 didn't have the extra e-reader capabilities of the the Japanese and American release.
I wonder if the extras are still in the code and thereby can get accessed by for example a gameshark (does those exist for GBA?), or if they was also cutted away from the code?
1 - it's "cut"
2 - I doubt that they were removed from the code. Maybe they just stopped the development w/out including them.
3 - Yes, gamesharks exist for the GBA

Possibly, they extras are still in the code, but that's not what a gameshark does. the game would have to be hacked.

EDIT: As for my opinion on the e-reader not being released - it wasn't that good anyway.

ash27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The E-reader is out here in Australia . Its been out for awhile now. So why would they release it here and not in the uk? there both the same game region.
cool.gif

I

iceman9414

i bought an e-reader for animal crossing, i thought some things were cool but overall it was an annoying clunky device that required too much work to have fun - especially since most cool e-reader games go to classic carts anyway

obanir

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
but it's too bad that they don't consider europe as a "great market"...
They never do. It's not just Nintendo, loads of games don't get released here, I know some of it's crap but how do they know if something won't sell if they don't release it. I know they say they know their market, but they know jack shit. They just won't take a chance even though they over charge for everything here compared to the US and Japan.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well the news never really came as a suprise to be honest... NOE did have plans about lanching the E-Reader over here, so much in fact E-Reader compatible Pokemon cards were released in the UK (way back in 2002 or so), plus at one point last year Nintendo even had a November 5th 2003 release date planned for the E-Reader and first set of cards.

After the non appearance of the E-Reader last Autumn, the lack of bonus features in Mario Advance 4 and no Animal Crossing in sight it was pretty easy to assume that Nintendo weren't going to release it over here.

On the topic of "we will make the downloadable elements that cards provided available via different routes", I guess they might do what they did with F-Zero GP Legend and make the extras unlocked from the start... it'll be interesting to see whether the US release has an E-Card set to go with it.
Seeing how Nintendo are taking so long with Animal Crossing over here prehaps they're making an effort and making the E-reader extras as unlockables in the game... that would probably be a little better than having everything unlocked from the start.

Like qrayzie said I'm not too bothered by the lack of E-Reader... it'll save me money in the long run, especially for games like Metal Slug Advance (100+ E-Reader cards will be released for that).
If I really wanted one success-hk are doing the US ones (I think) for around £10 anyway.

smile.gif

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I don't really give a damn. I just feel sorry for those who added this option in their games *cough*capcom*cough*

ConraDargo

Flashback Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Aw who cares. Even if they had released it in Europe, it would probably have been a lot cheaper to either just import the thing or buy it on eBay.

I know that if I ever feel like getting an E-reader, I'll probably do it from either Lik-Sang and eBay. No way I'm gonna search for it in my country.

aj1288

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
glad it didn't make it to europe, but like costello kinda metioned (but i twisted into my opinion) this may occur for good products that nintendo are planning to release. Europeans may never see the light of those innovative products due to its market size.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm if you're saying the European market is small then you're very, very wrong.
...Recent sales figures show that the PlayStation, for example sold almost as many units in Europe as it did in the US (Japan/Asia = 20.72 million units. US 39.67 = million units. Europe = 39.61 million units.).
Also although I can't find the exact figures (only old ones from 2003) the PS2 is in a similar position selling miles better in Europe than it is in Japan and close to what the US is selling... not bad either considering both hardware and software cost a lot more in Europe than just about anywhere else in the world.

*Sigh* Then again Sony were the first and even now seem to be the only company that realise Europes potential as a market... Nintendo and Microsoft have made some half assed attempts now and again and Sega blew virtually all of their budget sticking their name on a soccer shirt for the DC; Sony own the European market in short.
...Not releasing products or releasing them late isn't exactly going to help Nintendo increase their market share in Europe is it?...

smile.gif

Edit - Fixed typo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Cool didn't know they ported cuphead on vita