Hardware No DVD on Wii!!! Why

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I bought DBZ:BT 3 and it came with this bonus disc and I was like oh cool and seeing it came packaged with the WII game I popped it in the wii and sure enough it didn't recognize it, WHY? Anyway if the wii technically can play them why isn't it supported. This is nonsense I say nonsense.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
using the Wii as a DVD player (even though, at this point, it cant be) will not hurt the laser any more than putting in a game disc.

please stop trying to pass this fiction off as truth!

The reason the Wii doesn't play DVD's is because Nintendo didn't make a multimedia console. it's a game console, and that's it.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
theclaw said:
Nintendo didn't want to pay license fees to certify their hardware.

So an unmodded Wii doesn't bear the DVD logo, or read standard DVD file systems. Even though the drive is physically capable.
That's the right reason.

I've always wondered why wii's laser is supposed to die when playing dvds.. from what i've heard it's because it reads all the time when playing dvd. but then again other consoles don't have that kind of problems.

Did they just made the laser cheap, because they didn't add dvd support?

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why does it matter? I'm sure people have one of the following including their Wii:

1) PC that plays DVD's
2) A DVD player
3) Another console that plays DVD's

Business-wise, this was the right choice for the Wii.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But don't you think its stupid to package a dvd with a wii game even though the wii can't play dvds

Mentz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.mentzland.co.uk
XP
Country
Italy
sjones900 said:
But don't you think its stupid to package a dvd with a wii game even though the wii can't play dvds

They know that everyone got a dvd player... Or they know that a lot of people got modded WII...
rolleyes.gif

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
sjones900 said:
Yeah, and what's with those instruction manuals they package with the games? I can't even get them to fit in the slot!

blink.gif

Deleted member 94204

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sir-Fritz said:
My friends xbox died because he ripped to much music. He's not the type of person that doesnt know what he is talking about. But then i'm probably wrong.
I think the reason his xbox died is because he looked at it too hard. =P You don't even have to try to kill an xbox it slowly does it by itself.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sir-Fritz said:
My friends xbox died because he ripped to much music. He's not the type of person that doesnt know what he is talking about. But then i'm probably wrong.

Wait... wha? So your friend was using the laser of his x-box (that is used to read cds) to read cds? Thats awful!

Really though, lasers shoot out and read the bumps on the disc. The "ripping" part is on the HD. Its the program. Its taking the previously read data, and working from there... the laser doesn't change between playing a game, ripping a cd, or in the case of XBMC, playing a divx movie. The laser reads the bumps. No more, no less.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Because I already have 3 DVD players, 2 DVD recorders, a portable DVD player, a PlayStation 2, and 3 DVD-ROM drives. I don't need another DVD playing capable device.

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sir-Fritz said:
If its a normal dvd then it would likely destroy the wii lazer.
Imma chargin' mah - OUCH! A DVD movie D=

Anyway wouldn't it be cool to have official DVD channel that would support Miis and you could totally be in the movie
biggrin.gif
Not? Alright.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well whatever it was just me thinking out loud because I have always noticed that nintendo never did anything media related to their handhelds or consoles even the ps1 could play cd's atleast I hope one day nintendo will make some kind of channel to play videos from an sd card (not from the photo channel tho)

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They said the Wii could be cheap and even have features like DVD at the beginning, then failed on both of these points but people still bought it, so it seems not many people care about DVD on the wii.

Posts merged

Dio said:
Yeah, well my toaster can play DVDs.
But can it burn them?
unsure.gif

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xJonny said:
They said the Wii could be cheap and even have features like DVD at the beginning, then failed on both of these points but people still bought it, so it seems not many people care about DVD on the wii.

Posts merged

Dio said:
But can it burn them?
unsure.gif
lol... oh my god...

well, I thought I heard that they could play DVDs at first, but then i heard only japanese consoles, then I heard none, but why include a DVD? kinda no point, include it on the Wii Disc as a extra feature or something.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sonicandtails said:
Why does it matter? I'm sure people have one of the following including their Wii:

1) PC that plays DVD's
2) A DVD player
3) Another console that plays DVD's

Business-wise, this was the right choice for the Wii.
Wow I fall into all 3...

But the Wii does need to play DVD's! Pay up Nintendo!

Dio said:
But can it burn them?
unsure.gif
LOL!!!!
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl2.gif
cry.gif
rofl2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum