Hacking "no DS card inserted" error...

martinlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read and searched so many post I don't know what to do next!
Maybe someone can help me solve this riddle?!?

Scenario:
- NDS lite
- Brand new M3i card
- Brand new 4GB SDHC Kingston card (perfectly working on PC, formatted with SD formatting program)

- Copied on the SD card the "M3_Sakura_1.43X_4.5X" as "system" folder
- Copied on the SD card the "F_core1.4" as "f_core.dat" in the root

- Inserted the SD card inside the M3i zero
- Plugged the USB Firmware updater, the M3i card blinks intermittently for about 30 seconds and then stops (seems fine!)

But when I insert the M3i in the DS I always get the "There is no DS card inserted" message!
I tried many times, with the following changes:
- formatting the SD card with Windows / formatting with SD utility
- using latest sakura (1.43x) / using older versions (1.41also with older system software, but always the same result
- using a different DS lite (both DS lite work perfectly with an old DSX card and games)

Don't know what to think... The M3i zero seems to work fine and performs the firmware flashing blinks, but is never recognised by the DS!

What can I try next??
wacko.gif

g6team

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Actually the M3i Zero must be flashed first for it to be functional. Please try using another Microsd as well there are cases where the Microsd itself was the issue.

martinlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
g6team said:
Actually the M3i Zero must be flashed first for it to be functional. Please try using another Microsd as well there are cases where the Microsd itself was the issue.

ok, I'm trying that, even if the SD works fine with my Pc.

but what should happen when inserting the M3i zero in the DS lite WITHOUT the SD card? should the DS recognise the M3i as well?
...this does not happen to me, the slot remains "empty"

martinlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
g6team said:

I have flashed the M3i with latest f_core.dat v1.4 and it's not working, should I use an older version since I have a DS lite and not a DSi ?

(In order to isolate possible problems, my first goal will be to get the M3i recognised by the NDS lite, without the SD card inserted!)

thank you

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Not sure if this will be relevant, but had a similar problem with another flashcard (AK2i)

Apparently DSlites have shorter card contact points inside & this can cause flashcards not to make the contacts correctly - thus giving a 'no card found'

Many people claim placing a thin piece of cardboard behind the (Sticker side of) flashcard help push it against the DSite contacts & in turn getting it to show
Other stae a peice of card behind just the contact part of the card does the job as well (but it means opening the AK2 card up)

Oh - for your information - you should still see the 'Danny Phantom' icon, regardless of whether there's a SD card in it or not

martinlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Not sure if this will be relevant, but had a similar problem with another flashcard (AK2i)

Apparently DSlites have shorter card contact points inside & this can cause flashcards not to make the contacts correctly - thus giving a 'no card found'

Many people claim placing a thin piece of cardboard behind the (Sticker side of) flashcard help push it against the DSite contacts & in turn getting it to show
Other stae a peice of card behind just the contact part of the card does the job as well (but it means opening the AK2 card up)

Oh - for your information - you should still see the 'Danny Phantom' icon, regardless of whether there's a SD card in it or not

thanks, already tried both the "paper trick" and the "blow everywhere" trick, no results...

what makes me crazy is the fact that the flashing process looks fine as described in the manual (about 30 seconds of red light blinking on the card, and then stops) so the card does not seem broken...

but then 2 different DS lite do not recognise the M3i !
frown.gif

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
g6team said:
Oh I see. I thought it was just to bypass the DSi update that blocks flashcarts. Thanks for clearing that up for me
smile.gif

*EDIT*
martinlee, did you try a different MicroSD card? Any luck yet?

martinlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally solved it!

This combination worked:

- same SD card
- "paper trick"
- f_core.dat ONLY (no "system")

this way I got the DS lite "see" the M3i
then added the new 4.6 beta "system"

thanks to everybody!

Hadou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CannonFoddr said:

Thank CannonFoddr - I did not know that. I always wondered why sometimes it fails to recognise it. I will be trying to paper trick soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16