NNIDs and Miiverse are finally coming to the 3DS

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by McHaggis, Nov 13, 2013.

1. EnigmaXtreme

EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Ok so you can add the same NNID as on your Wii U, would that mean that IDs are no longer locked to one Wii U Console?

2. McHaggis
    OP

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Well, it's not burned even if it's stolen, lost or damaged. From what I've heard, if you have a police report/crime reference number or are able to send the console into Nintendo, they can transfer the purchases to a new 3DS. But the inconvenience alone is enough to put me off spending more than retail prices on downloadable software that is tied to a single 3DS unit.

3. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    Antarctica
    The Forge
    Yes and no. You can log in with the NNID on any WiiU as far as I know, but still can't share the content apart from the single WiiU console. The 3DS is locked into a single NNID.

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    No, it's only to share the balances between two consoles instead of having two different currency accounts. If you have two 3DS, you are screwed anyway.
    They didn't tell about two 3DS without WiiU, but I guess it will be only 1 3DS + 1 WiiU only.
    The NNID and console tie will still work the same way. You can't share it across consoles to share games, games are tied to the console not the NNID, so no cross-buy (one VC bought on WiiU-VC won't be available on 3DS-VC).

What will be possible is to Buy 3DS games/content using a WiiU and vice versa. It's what they announced two years ago, being able to use computer/phones/any devices to purchase content for specific consoles linked to your NNID.

5. ResleyZ

ResleyZ Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty

Oct 11, 2013
    Netherlands
    Silicon Valley
    Would this mean we can add more friends using the NNID? After X & Y were released, my friend list quickly capped. Or will we still only be able to use the 3DS Friendcodes?

6. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    It'd be better if I bought a NES game on 3DS, it shows up on my WiiU library too.

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    That would be great.
    maybe they will allow it on a later update.
    In fact they didn't tell anything about it, but if it were possible, they would have announced it too instead of talking only about the shared balances.

They would have to reimburse users who bought them on both before said update. If it wasn't their plan from the start, I doubt it will be added.

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I was happy to see them finally adding a unified account system to the 3DS.
    But there's one thing I'm wondering about, what will happen to existing 3DS friends? Will it automatically register their NNID when they make one or will you have to re-register every single friend? I hope it's not the latter.

Never say never, I don't think it's out of the question. Though that would only apply for certain consoles like NES, handheld VC is 3DS only and will probably stay that way.

9. Sizednochi

Sizednochi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    So, what could this mean for the Gateway? I mean, if you update using emunand, link your 3DS to a NNID, then you reset back to 4.5 and lose the NNID... Would you even be able to link it again?

I don't have a GW, just curious. Nintendo might be onto a solution on blocking piracy.

10. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    This is cool, give us some cross buy options for virtual console and multiplatform releases too please.

I would also love to get my Wii points turned in to eshop credit. It is not like I have extra eshop credit laying around since you can just pay for whatever you buy and I have not recieved any gift cards or anything. The Wii points I end up buying more than I need because they only sell in blocks and I usually end up with extra.

And what is the hold up with GBA virutal console releases for 3DS? Do you know how much I would love to play Zero Mission and Fusion on my 3DS or even Wii U?

11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Don't forget Fusion was an Ambassador game, so if you're not an ambassador you probably won't be able to get Fusion for the 3DS.

12. blaisedinsd

Dec 6, 2012
    United States

I don't see the reasoning behind that. Were ambassadors promised exclusivity?

They got the games "free". (20 games, you paid an extra $80 so that is about $4 per game).

I don't really get their virtual console strategy. The Wii Virtual Consol had so much more to offer so much faster...was this just because of the massive install base? 3DS and Wii U virtual console selection is such crap compared to Wii.

13. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    According to Wikipedia there are no plans to make the ambassador GBA games available to the general public.

14. blaisedinsd

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    But isn't that sort of a meaningless statement? Are there any plans to bring any GBA games to eshop? I have not heard anything announced. So it is just as accurate to say there are no plans to make any GBA games available to the general public.

I don't even think N64 for Wii U is announced either, so officially there are no plans. I know Gamecube has not been officially announced either in spite of some bad information that lots of people latched on to. Edit: I did see this about the Wii U on the official website "In addition to NES and Super NES games, titles from the Game Boy Advance and other systems will be available in the future."

You think they will leave Ambassador titles off Wii U simpley because they were ambassador titles? Some of those NES titles are available already I believe.

This is a complaint I have. I don't understand why the Wii virtual console library was so great and these new consoles are giving us crap like Wario's Woods and still no N64 games.

15. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    The NES titles were said from (nearly) the beginning to be available eventually, they say they have no plans on releasing the gba ones. :/
    Wouldn't that be awesome though, if when you link an ambassador status 3ds, it gives you access to the gba games on wiiu? Eh, I can dream .

Arras likes this.
  16. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    From the beginning they said the NES titles would be available for everyone though. The GBA titles, not so much.

17. GreatZimkogway

GreatZimkogway Still a Touhou Fanatic

Jul 21, 2009
    United States
    Senkai
    Actually, it is. People are still failing to realize the huge key difference between Microsonysteam. Both Microsoft and Sony are electronics powerhouses. They already had online services prior to their gaming forays, Microsoft especially. They've been doing networking for a long time. Sony, I believe, has been too. Steam is purely software, and that's all they do(well, used to be that way).

Nintendo, however, is not. They've been doing various types of online play since the NES, but in far inferior forms. They don't have nearly as much experience in doing online services. The only thing they really had a mistake on was doing friend-codes at all, instead of just accounts. No idea why they chose to do that.

zero2exe likes this.
  18. blaisedinsd

Dec 6, 2012
    United States

I am not an ambassador so I have no idea what they said at the time. I just don't see any info suggesting that when I look up the ambassador program currently. I have had my 3DS for less than a year (what a great console by the way)

It does just seem backwards that they have said GBA is coming to Wii U and not 3DS....

Do you really think they would hold back GBA metroid and zelda from Wii U because of the 3DS ambassador program?

I guess the actual quote from Nintendo was "Nintendo has no plans to release these games to the general public."

Their digital purchase policies are screwed up period. It should not even be a question or a problem if you console is damaged/lost/stolen/defective to be able to get a replacement console and be able to re-dowload your purchases. Microsoft made bank off people buying multiple consoles because of the failure rate, if you have a bunch of digital content you can only access on said console it creates an incentive to buy a replacement. Heck I won't even buy the Zelda 3DS bundle because its a digital copy and if something happens to my system it is a pain to replace the game.

19. Luigi2012SM64DS
    This message by Luigi2012SM64DS has been removed from public view by Cyan, Nov 14, 2013, Reason: there's a like button for that.
    Nov 14, 2013
  20. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Nintendo has a huge pile of cash. There's really nothing to stop them buying up experienced technical teams and getting up to scratch with the rest of the world.

21. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted