Hardware NKit :: Recover to Redump Images :: Shrink and Preserve Wii and GameCube Disc Images as Playable

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've already converted my GameCube collection to NKit and am happy using it with Nintendont. A point of clarification, please: USB Loader GX doesn't have the ability to load any Wii NKit formatted file and won't in the foreseeable future. So as far as WII WBFS/ISO images, NKit is for Dolphin/archival use only, right? And this new NKit for WBFS format being worked on is also not for use on a real Wii?

Thanks for NKit, and thanks for any responses clarifying its use on real Wii hardware.

johnsanc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The forthcoming NKit wbfs would work on real hardware. Nothing special about it, just a regular WBFS but with all bugs from other scrubbing programs corrected and a consistent output so you can verify against redump.org dats

Nanook can correct if I am mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanook

OP
Trophies
Website
www.scorehero.com
XP
Country
Yes @ChibiMofo you are correct. The Wii NKit is not hardware compatible and although we have waited (as asked a few people who might know a few people) and no one has showed any interest in making NKit work on hardware. In theory it's possible with CIOS as it's basically just RVT-H format (The dev format).

WBFS was originally to be added to give users a quick way to convert images from NKit to WBFS for hardware. Which is still the case. But it was so little extra effort to allow it to be a consistent format that could go back to the exact source image. I thought I might as well make it happen ;-)

PurifiedCrystal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no matter what setting i set I always get a "deleting output" at the end yielding no file

1 Pass: [NKit.ISO] >> [To ISO]

To ISO: .1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10 ~ 0m 38s [MiB: 4482.3] NKit Invalid

|DETAIL
|!! Update partition *_AFD3A24A missing - Adding filler. It may be Recoverable

Verification Failed Crc:BA0E1B95 - Failed Test Crc:EC4AA9E9
Deleting Output

nanook

OP
Trophies
Website
www.scorehero.com
XP
Country
@PurifiedCrystal : What you are seeing is the current desired behaviour. The ISO can't be recovered due to you missing the correct Update Partition. This has been a recent complaint from people who do not have the Recovery Update partitions. There will be a change made for the next version that will allow the ISO to be saved where currently it shows "Update partition *_AFD3A24A missing".

In the meantime, you're close to having it recover. There are 2 things you can do:
1. Aquire the Update partition - "768454BD49A5FC5FB962F073A8D34266A301F937_N_AFD3A24A" and place it in Recovery\Redump\Wii
or
2. Extract it using NKit's RecoveryExtract.exe from another game that contains it (of where there are 81). It will appear in the folder mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by nanook,

nanook

OP
Trophies
Website
www.scorehero.com
XP
Country
It's not the most straight forward app sometimes. ;-) I know it can be confusing and frustrating too. While in development things were reworked and changed many times. There's apparently an NKit full loaded torrent out there somewhere which sounds like the best way to start.

Reactions: Ryccardo

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no matter what setting i set I always get a "deleting output" at the end yielding no file

1 Pass: [NKit.ISO] >> [To ISO]

To ISO: .1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10 ~ 0m 38s [MiB: 4482.3] NKit Invalid

|DETAIL
|!! Update partition *_AFD3A24A missing - Adding filler. It may be Recoverable

Verification Failed Crc:BA0E1B95 - Failed Test Crc:EC4AA9E9
Deleting Output

I believe my answer from a week or two ago in this thread will help you...
There's a way around this. In the "NKit Processing App" there is an option you can unselect labelled "Delete Recover Match Failures." Unselecting that will leave the unverified (most likely working but with no update partition) ISO file in the following folder:
\NKit\Processed\Wii_MatchFail

stanwebber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do i get this working with win xp? i've installed the latest revisions of .net 3.5 & 4, but i still get "is not a valid win32 application" when trying to execute any of the nkit tools. can it be recompiled to work (at least the command line tools)? i would like to use nkit alongside wii backup manager. thanks.

wiindsurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
@nanook Do you know where support for RVT-H needs to be added? At CIOS level or in the loader? Is there library support somewhere? I've been playing with the cfg loader sources, might be keen to take up this hardware support challenge...

nanook

OP
Trophies
Website
www.scorehero.com
XP
Country
@nanook Do you know where support for RVT-H needs to be added? At CIOS level or in the loader? Is there library support somewhere? I've been playing with the cfg loader sources, might be keen to take up this hardware support challenge...

I'm afraid I can't help with this as it's not my area. I'm happy to stay involved. I wish you the best of luck. It would be really cool to hear of any progress. ;-) @GerbilSoft do you have any pointers?

Last edited by nanook,

johnsanc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@gamecaptor - These games have that partition. The partition mapping isn't hard coded into NKit. The specific one you are looking for is: CFC886D393D3078EDB8A41A8BD51D22E2DB283E1_N_C3FF2E45

Billy's Boot Camp - Wii de Enjoy Diet! (Japan)
Donkey Kong Returns (Japan)
Dragon Quest 25 Shuunen Kinen - Famicom & Super Famicom Dragon Quest I-II-III (Japan)
Earth Seeker (Japan)
Family Fishing (Japan)
Family Fishing (Japan) (Rev 1)
Fit in Six - Karada o Kitaeru 6-tsu no Youso (Japan)
GoldenEye 007 (Japan)
Ikenie no Yoru (Japan)
Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Japan)
Issho ni Asobu! Dream Theme Park (Japan)
Jinsei Game - Happy Family - Gotouchi Neta Zouryou Shiage (Japan)
Last Story, The (Japan)
Mario Sports Mix (Japan)
Milestone Shooting Collection 2 (Japan)
Pandora no Tou - Kimi no Moto e Kaeru made (Japan)
Rabbids Party - Time Travel (Japan)
Rune Factory - Oceans (Japan)
SD Gundam - GGeneration World (Japan)
Sengoku Musou 3 - Moushouden (Japan)
Shape Boxing 2 - Wii de Enjoy Diet! (Japan)
Shape Boxing 2 - Wii de Enjoy Diet! (Japan) (Rev 1)
Super Mario Collection (Japan)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Asia)
Super Sentai Battle - Ranger Cross (Japan)
Tataite Hazumu - Super Smash Ball Plus (Japan) (Rev 2)
Wii Sports Resort (Japan) (Rev 2)

Last edited by johnsanc,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey