*nix distro of Firefox for Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by SomeGuy2009, Apr 19, 2009.

Apr 19, 2009
  1. SomeGuy2009
    OP

Member SomeGuy2009 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Was thinking how hard it would be to put together a homebrew app/dol or wad that would boot a mini *nix distro that is big enough to support firefox and make use of the built in wired lan or even the wifi built into the wii? If im not mistaken Geko OS is a mini linux environment that provides functionality? But then again I don't use it so I dont really know what Geko OS is used for.

The built in Internet Channel is sooooo limited when using Opera Lack of Flash Support ect..

I know the wii lacks real hardware to work with when it comes to development ect.. I always looked at it like "If there is someone to say it cant be done. There will always be someone there to prove them wrong. Self determination.

Im sure firefox or atleast the mozilla core can be stripped down enough to give a basic starting point to work with.

If I had the skills to program ect.. in the wii environment I would start such a project myself but i'm afraid I would fail horribly. As I would not know what Im doing. lol

From the looks of the development in homebrew in the last few months maybe it is on its way or in the not to distant future?

Comments/Question anyone?

SomeGuy

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Opera can be hacked a bit to allow more memory and the like, if you want I can dig up a thread but it was done back in the early days of wii hacking and I did not follow it so I am not sure how far it went.

Flash is a proprietary and closed format from Adobe, there are those working on reverse engineering it though ( http://www.gnashdev.org/ and http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/wiki/ ) but these would have to be ported and even then they are not as good as the official app (lack of support for various things).

Secondly have you seen how much memory firefox uses most days; the wii is somewhat lacking in the memory department. I am sure a browser will come at some point but I doubt it will be a version of firefox equivalent to that which you would find on the PC.

3. SpAM_CAN

Member SpAM_CAN GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Why not try the WiiLinux version? I swear I saw it running somewhere...

4. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    also tabs would be a great thing to add

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    yeah i want FF on wii that opera sux!

6. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
  7. computerboy

Member computerboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    Thank you. I've alway wanted something like this