NitroSwan - A WonderSwan emulator for NDS

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
New release! This version should be much faster than before, also fixed a lot of graphical glitches.
You can now press the top left buttons by using "L" plus d-pad.

*Added RTC emulation.
*Added a border to emu screen.
*Better mapping of input.
*Optimized graphic redraw.
*Optimized PC/IP handling in cpu core.

https://github.com/FluBBaOfWard/NitroSwan/releases/tag/v0.3.5
What an improvment : Makaimura is fullspeed on DS lite !!! :) Awesome. I will test the romset later. Thanks Flubba.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tried the English patch version of Makai Toushi SaGa and it runs nearly perfectly except for one huge problem. When talking to any NPC in the game the text box does not display on the screen.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tested the romset (quickly, colour and B&W) : pretty much everything is full speed (60fps) on DS lite and DSi with less glitches. I did not notice any problems compared to previous versions except already known problems (missing text box, some games freeze in selection menu i.e. Tonpusu, XI Little...).

Really good job !

To me, it deserves the use of a slot-2 Ram expansion on older hardware, many many games cannot load due to RAM limit unfortunately. I do not know if you want and/or have time and/or have the knowledge to do that but it could be a great feature.

Reactions: FluBBa

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
Xi Little is waiting for the samples to finish playing I guess so that should be fixable.
Tonpuusou on the other hand I can't get to work in Ares or Mednafen either...
Chou Denki Card game is another one of those games that doesn't work on other emulators for me either.
If anyone can do better borders for the emu screen I would be very grateful, the current png images are on my GitHub, the images will be 256 colors on the DS but I can fix the downsampling if it's necessary.

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If there are any unused DS buttons, would it be possible to implement the option to rotate the screen myself? Kinda like the WonderSwan cores in Retroarch

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
The keys are already remapped depending on if the game is horizontal or vertical so you wouldn't need any buttons to do that but a completely different graphics engine.
I looked into recompiling NomadSwan 3DS but it looks like too much has changed in Devkitpro since the last release. If someone can get it to compile in a new Devkitpro I could switch out the cpu core to my version and see if it is any faster.

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
What would you like to be improved? Speed, compatibility with specific games or more features?
I know a few things regarding the graphics that I might be able to fix...
The only thing left to get some more speed is speed hacks and the games I looked at didn't really gain much or I couldn't find the correct speed hack.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What would you like to be improved? Speed, compatibility with specific games or more features?
Digimon Battle 1.5 still has graphical glitches and for some reason the speed on this one seems to have gotten a bit worse on the last release, although the graphics look playable now (still missing some UI and elements but playable) so if the speed is a compromise to work around some glitches i'd take it.
Digimon anode & cathode during the moment a digimon charges against the enemy (normal attack) is supposed to have a sort of gradient like a white bar in the middle of the blue background. That's' nowhere to be seen for some reason?? other than that the game runs flawlessly, i'm being super picky.
chocobo dungeon now works nicely (it was unplayable before), and every other game i tried also runs very well without any apparent glitches.

i honestly can't think of any features other than fastfoward. The speed is awesome already but if there's room for improvenemt there maybe it's doable. Turbo for the buttons i guess? remapping controls? fixing the palette and "disable sprites/foreground/background" that don't seem to work? that'd be all.

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The only thing left to get some more speed is speed hacks and the games I looked at didn't really gain much or I couldn't find the correct speed hack.
Speed, as most of my games are 100% compatible. I feel like you could still squeeze a bit more performance and get them at a really playable state

Ajlr

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Anything.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
does this emulator work much worse on DS than on 3DS or what? saying it's not in playable state is ridiculous from my experience, it's way past playable for most games, but maybe on DS it's very different? i suppose..?

Reactions: CrashMidnick

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@FluBBa - I finally got a chance to give this a proper try and it's brilliant! As a shmup fanatic, I had been wanting to try Judgement Silversword for quite a few years now and it played brilliantly (as a side-scroller in this case). Plenty of Mr. Driller and SD Gundam OUC as well - everything played really well.

I do marvel at how you're able to get those 2MB games into memory with the emulator as well... your assembly code is really tight!

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've noticed a sound problem with wsc games, there is no sound, and at the bottom screen, when you launch a wsc game, a message appairs quickly few seconds (couldn't open nameofgame.wsc), then the beginning of the game is normal but the sound doesn't seems to work, ws games work fine with sound but not the wsc ones, I've changed the .nds and removed the .cfg to go back to older version (v0.3.5), tested with the same games to see the result, the sound on wsc games works on v0.3.5 but not on v0.3.6.

I've tried different way to install the last version to get the sound on wsc games but it seems I've missed something or the problem is somewhere else.

I'm using a DS Lite with HBmenu for this test

EDIT : I missed something, the "Select" button...

Last edited by Indy13,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb