NitroSwan - A WonderSwan emulator for NDS

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
So after 2 months of coding I finally have something to show.
At least some of the games are playable but a DSi is recommended for better speed and more games can be loaded.
Both SRAM and EEPROM is emulated and support for loading and saving of them.
Boot ROM support but should not be needed to play games.
Support for SLOT-2 RAM expansions for larger games.
Pretty ok sound emulation.

Graphics can be a little glitchy depending on the game, see readme file.
Speed should be fixable to a high degree as well ok for most games, I will be taking small steps so I can fix regressions if I break any games during optimizations.
No save states yet.
No mapping for vertical controls yet.

https://github.com/FluBBaOfWard/NitroSwan/releases/tag/v0.6.4

Last edited by FluBBa,

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I legit been entering to gbatemp regularly just for this. Thanks!
Can't wait for updates on the savestates and such, for now i'll give this version a try

edit;digimon anode-cathode won't go past the boot screen. The tamagotchi-like digimon game works great, and some other digimon game had some minor graphical glitches but also seemed to work nicely. I'm in awe at the speed. Thanks again

Last edited by placebo_yue,
Reactions: SLiV3R and banjo2

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Alright. I've tried all my games on this emulator. They all run pretty slowly (And the audio can hurt lmao). Mr Driller seems to be running the fastest, and it's playable

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Are you using a bootrom? For me it gets through the whole intro.
indeed, it works using a bios bootrom thing. Took me a little while to find one. My bad.
Save states crashed the emulator but i suppose that's expected for now, right? regular in-game saving seems to work fine
edit: Oh, i couldn't make the B&W settings work, how do you do that? i wouldn't mind a tint for the black and white games if there's the option, like GBA did for GB games back in the day

Last edited by placebo_yue,
Reactions: banjo2

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I've tried a bunch of games, they mostly run pretty decently (on O3DS)

Digimon Tamers Battle whatever 1.5 - runs slightly slow to be enjoyable, but it's playable. Super glitchy graphics tho, flickering. That makes it unplayable.
Digimon anode & catode (and others from that series) - Mostly fine, very few graphical glitches that don't impact on gameplay, and playable speed
Digimon V-pet - Few graphical glitches that don't affect gameplay at all. Slightly slower than full speed but very playable
Final Fantasy 1 (english translation, if that matters) - almost fullspeed. Dialogboxes don't cover some elements like NPCs and crates. I played it for like an hour, no issues.
Final Fantasy 2 - almost fullspeed too, didn't play much to notice other issues
chocobo dungeon - first tutorial-ish part ran a bit slow, probably playable tho. After tutorial the only visible thing is the status bar (HP and such) on the top, the rest looks all black (perhaps there's some issue with transparency or masks?)

Reactions: _PECO_ and banjo2

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
I've converted a couple of opcodes to asm and it seems it gives a bit of speed boost, but the majority of speed will come when all opcodes are converted and I can use registers for at least the program counter and cycles counter.
Hopefully this will be done before I end my vacation in the middle of January.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It seems I'm running out of time to rewrite everything in asm, so far it has gained quite a bit of speed.
Is anyone interested in a new version before I'm completely done?
It would also be nice if people can test to see if I have screwed up any games since the last release.

Thanks Flubba. Yes it could be great to have a release to check the improvements. I can test the romset.

Reactions: banjo2

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It seems I'm running out of time to rewrite everything in asm, so far it has gained quite a bit of speed.
Is anyone interested in a new version before I'm completely done?
It would also be nice if people can test to see if I have screwed up any games since the last release.
It'd be great to have a new version, even just for quality assurance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte