NitroSwan - A WonderSwan emulator for NDS

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... I would be delighted if people would help out with palettes or really anything at all.
Same. In 2.5 years of maintaining 7 emulators, there probably isn't much of a cavalry coming over the hill to assist.

Now don't get me wrong... I've had help. @FluBBa gave me a hand with SN audio. And I've had a few others contribute some graphic elements. I also appreciate all of the testing and positive comments from the usual suspects here. Plus, much of my work is based on giants of the past. But the vast majority of the time it's just a one-man band on these hobby projects. Outside of MAME (which is a bit hard to nail down as each driver/machine is almost a mini-emulator), I think the Stella team has one of the larger community contribution rates (3-4 people who regularly contribute).

Then again, we're developing emulators for a machine which itself is already being emulated and for a very niche group :)

1678452136548.png

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Same. In 2.5 years of maintaining 7 emulators, there probably isn't much of a cavalry coming over the hill to assist.

Now don't get me wrong... I've had help. @FluBBa gave me a hand with SN audio. And I've had a few others contribute some graphic elements. I also appreciate all of the testing and positive comments from the usual suspects here. Plus, much of my work is based on giants of the past. But the vast majority of the time it's just a one-man band on these hobby projects. Outside of MAME (which is a bit hard to nail down as each driver/machine is almost a mini-emulator), I think the Stella team has one of the larger community contribution rates (3-4 people who regularly contribute).

Then again, we're developing emulators for a machine which itself is already being emulated and for a very niche group :)

View attachment 358259
The DS/DSi isn't exactly a niche, but I can understand where you're coming from...there are tons of superior handhelds you could buy for emulation; from the PSP, to the 3DS, PS Vita and those chinese thingies. Some people, including me, decide to play old ass games on their DS for no particular reason :rofl2:

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm afraid savestates are still broken, even after removing everything from the nitroswan folder except for the BIOS files. I figured the error was from some leftovers from earlier versions, but now i don't know... should i uninstall nitroswan completely for some reason? is the fact that im on O3DS somehow responsible? If this is expected behaviour on 3DS or something i'd understand and just deal with it, if not, is there some log or something i can share to help figure this thing out?
The palettes are now working nicely, and thank you for listening to my borders off suggestion :nds:

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's very common and expected that every next build will be not compatible with previous savestates (.sta) but we know that.
Only the hw savestates should be always fine and work (cartridge nvram).
About .sta save states, are working fine for me but I have to remember what to do first...
I noticed that autoload doesn't work in example in puyo puyo 2 screen freeze. (so that option is switched off always)
When i load during bios screen boot, it will load partialy, some graphics will be missing. (oponent selection screen)
but when I load savestates while intro of the game is shown, everything is ok.
Maybe It's similar to pc enginge emu, some vram or other things have to prealoaded first, in example in Valkyrie no Densetsu
to load savestate, you need to proceed a little bit further than only intro screen.

Last edited by plasturion,

yoooblls

Trophies
XP
Country
Cambodia
I will take a look at the save states later, melonDS makes it possible to test them faster since it allows saving to the flash-/SD-card.
Hey flubba is there a way to may Mapp to x1-x4 on L and Y and Y1-Y4 on X and R for comfortability it's not comfortable and I ideal to play holding L for the Y1-Y4 and other games like pocket fighters its hard to do supper whit holding L some inputs need Y1-Y4

• Wow
Reactions: Cris1997XX

Momo333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I tested your emulator on New3DS XL, and it works fine, but could you add an option to set the game speed to 150% instead of 200%? At normal speed, the game feels a bit laggy, and 200% is too fast. It's like playing games in fast forward. If you could also add a mapping buttons option, that would be perfect! I don't really care much about the save states as long in-game save still work, that's good enough for me.

Game tested: Rockman EXE WS and Kaze no Klonoa Moonlight Museum

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tested your emulator on New3DS XL, and it works fine, but could you add an option to set the game speed to 150% instead of 200%? At normal speed, the game feels a bit laggy, and 200% is too fast. It's like playing games in fast forward. If you could also add a mapping buttons option, that would be perfect! I don't really care much about the save states as long in-game save still work, that's good enough for me.

Game tested: Rockman EXE WS and Kaze no Klonoa Moonlight Museum
Uh...did you try setting the refresh rate to 75hz?

Momo333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Uh...did you try setting the refresh rate to 75hz?
You mean Allow Refresh Change option? I tired that but the game gets frame skipping a lot, which makes the game harder to play so i didn't use it.

I don't see an option to set it to 75hz though.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean Allow Refresh Change option? I tired that but the game gets frame skipping a lot, which makes the game harder to play so i didn't use it.

I don't see an option to set it to 75hz though.
I think "Allow Refresh Change" is what he meant.
Since you're on a 3DS though, it doesn't work correctly.

bakuDD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone test Makaimura on this?
If it works correctly, that would make it superior to the actual flash cart, which doesn’t support Makaimura.
Very interested in the progress of this emulator…

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
ome vram or other things have to prealoaded first, in example in Valkyrie no Densetsu
to load savestate, you need to proceed a little bit further than only intro screen.
i'll keep this into consideration, is very likely that i loaded the savestate right after boot. The incompatibility with previous versions makes sense that's why i decided to just nuke my whole nitroswan folder to start from scratch, hoping the error would be gone. If there's anything i can try -or perhaps share a log or whatever- to help debug this just ask

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i'll keep this into consideration, is very likely that i loaded the savestate right after boot. The incompatibility with previous versions makes sense that's why i decided to just nuke my whole nitroswan folder to start from scratch, hoping the error would be gone. If there's anything i can try -or perhaps share a log or whatever- to help debug this just ask
I see, well you can start from stratch if you like. But in your attachment I see you had NVRAM save files (*.ram) so you can copy them to new destiny. In settings you can set autoload nvram, this one should works fine.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
scinternal.eeprom is settings for swan crystal, to deal with that choose machine from auto to swan crystal, maybe load some rom, and then save settings. Anyway this "error" message actually can be ignored.

Reactions: nitrozz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone