Hardware Nippon or United States?

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The only benefit would be to be able to play games that are released in Japan but not elsewhere. But keep in mind that you'll have to get ALL you games from Japan if you decide to get the Japanese 3DS XL because of region locking.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The only benefit would be to be able to play games that are released in Japan but not elsewhere. But keep in mind that you'll have to get ALL you games from Japan if you decide to get the Japanese 3DS XL because of region locking.
Which is why I wanted him to specify the question. LL's are Japanese XL's - they're all going to be region locked for Japan regardless where you get them from.

Ziggy Zigzagoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Which is why I wanted him to specify the question. LL's are Japanese XL's - they're all going to be region locked for Japan regardless where you get them from.
I just like saying 'LL' instead of 'XL' at times. Gomen nasai.
I meant to say whether are there any benefits on obtaining a 3DS LL against a 3DS XL.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wife has a 3DS LL (Doubutsu no Mori special edition) which makes perfect sense for her since she's Japanese. Besides Doubutsu no Mori (i.e. Animal Crossing) she has also downloaded a couple full games from the e-shop, and she's planning to buy a couple more while we're on vacation in Japan in June. I will say this about her 3DS, and it may not be a universal thing, but her Doubutsu no Mori special edition seems to be just put together PERFECTLY. All button action, d-pad, circle pad, hinge tightness ... all just absolutely perfect. My son's US model 3DS XL, on the other hand, is just ok. Looser hinge, d-pad doesn't feel as good. This is all rather subjective I guess, but I think anyone who held them both in their hands would agree. The Japanese one is only marginally better in execution, but it's better.

But besides the language barrier, which obviously is a big deal, there's also the expense. Those full games she's downloaded off the e-shop ... 5000 yen each. At current exchange, that's $50. Pretty steep for a handheld game. If you're ok paying that extra for downloaded games, and probably a good bit more for actual imported carts, just for the exclusivity of having a Japanese console, go ahead. I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're Japanese.

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pros
  • play stuff be for the get localized
  • play game that dont get released out side of japan
cons
  • cost of a new system
  • pay importing fees
  • risk wasting money by not waiting for a region re-mover

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you consider buying/playing only Japanese 3DS games there is.

Japanese eShop with it's Japanese only apps and demos. Japanese exclusives are now optional.

If you don't know Japanese, Then you'll pretty much be only able to partly enjoy a handful of games.
The worst part is that import games cost a great deal more than north american games. Higher demand otaku-easq games like Project M can go for nearly 2x more than what it's worth.

Ziggy Zigzagoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I should tell you that there is a context here.
  • I plan on importing a Monster Hunter Tri + 3DS LL combo that cost 15,800 en.
  • I am going to learn Nipponese, hence I would want to get native material. (I am not at a loss for native material, though.)
  • I am anticipating a region lock remover in the future.
  • However, I am keeping an eye on Nintendo Shop offers.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I should tell you that there is a context here.
  • I plan on importing a Monster Hunter Tri + 3DS LL combo that cost 15,800 en.
  • I am going to learn Nipponese, hence I would want to get native material. (I am not at a loss for native material, though.)
  • I am anticipating a region lock remover in the future.
  • However, I am keeping an eye on Nintendo Shop offers.

You're the first that I have ever seen use that word. XD

Reactions: Hyura

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(*≧▽≦)ノシ)) Maybe there is some Japanese humor in these forums! But not say this in real life around Japanese person... they are think you are Aho!
Even if I know a few words in japanese, I don't use them in english conversations.
And yeah, speaking japanese with an actual japanese is vastly different then "weaboos" speaking it.

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
Even if I know a few words in japanese, I don't use them in english conversations.
And yeah, speaking japanese with an actual japanese is vastly different then "weaboos" speaking it.
I have spoken with a non-native Japanese person who is study(take course) the language, they are sound good but you are tell they are not native... it is sound like odd. But never with person who only know little. I imagine is same.

Reactions: gamefan5

Ziggy Zigzagoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You're the first that I have ever seen use that word. XD
(*≧▽≦)ノシ)) Maybe there is some Japanese humor in these forums! But not say this in real life around Japanese person... they are think you are Aho!
To both of you, I mean... the 'real name' of Japan is Nippon, hence I say 'Nipponese.'
Hey; I say 'Deutchland' instead of 'Germany' (and even 'en' instead of 'yen!)'. I just feel... wrong when I use the name 'the world' uses instead of the name 'their own people use.' I compare that to using someone's 'real name' instead of a nickname that a person never wanted.

Yes; I am an ahoo. (I always was a retarded idiot.) In fact, I got twice in trouble for using the word 'Nipponese' here.
Even so, I know a bit more Japanese/Nipponese than a 'wapanese'/'weeaboo' does. (I can translate 'wapanese,' but I can only understand bits and pieces of real Japanese/Nipponese.)

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To both of you, I mean... the 'real name' of Japan is Nippon, hence I say 'Nipponese.'
Hey; I say 'Deutchland' instead of 'Germany' (and even 'en' instead of 'yen!)'. I just feel... wrong when I use the name 'the world' uses instead of the name 'their own people use.' I compare that to using someone's 'real name' instead of a nickname that a person never wanted.

Yes; I am an ahoo. (I always was a retarded idiot.) In fact, I got twice in trouble for using the word 'Nipponese' here.
Even so, I know a bit more Japanese/Nipponese than a 'wapanese'/'weeaboo' does. (I can translate 'wapanese,' but I can only understand bits and pieces of real Japanese/Nipponese.)
I say japan because that'snthe name in english.
I say nippon is japanese because that's the word in said language.
I say Japon in in french because that's the word in said language.
I say this out of repect. I know that some japanese I know irl would get pretty offended if I start using the word you're using.
Also, I've seen u using the word, gomenasai, instead of sorry... This contradicts a bit your statement. We know that u know some japanese words so there's no need to show it here.
When I say the français, instead of french people, it sounds increadibly offending. I'm not mad at you, but itt's just preventive measure.

Reactions: Eerpow

Ziggy Zigzagoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I say japan because that'snthe name in english.
I say nippon is japanese because that's the word in said language.
I say Japon in in french because that's the word in said language.
I say this out of repect. I know that some japanese I know irl would get pretty offended if I start using the word you're using.
Also, I've seen u using the word, gomenasai, instead of sorry... This contradicts a bit your statement. We know that u know some japanese words so there's no need to show it here.
When I say the français, instead of french people, it sounds increadibly offending. I'm not mad at you, but itt's just preventive measure.
This is painful and ironic...

[By the way, I said 'Gomennasai' because I had been playing the PSP version of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. (The PSP version never got an English release.) Maaya sometimes ended her battles with 'gomen nasai,' which got stuck in my head.]

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

At least use Nihongo next time then, Nipponese sounds incredibly stupid, sorry.

Reactions: gamefan5

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If you can read Japanese, I would recommend the Japanese 3DS. The largest plus point here is also its largest minus: it plays Japanese games (including exclusives), and only Japanese.

As Nintendo is pushing digital media, you can choose to purchase digital copies which can save you quite a bit in import fees (if applicable). The Japanese eShop accepts international cards, unlike US/EU.

If you can't read Japanese, then go for the regulars. The good news here is that more games are getting localized (Bravely Default, Project X Zone, Monster Hunter 3G have been/will be localized) and some titles have international release dates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte