Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
nokiaheaderimg580sized.jpg
QUOTE said:
Nintendo's says it will investigate possible copyright infringement in Nokia's N900 smartphone after a Nokia blog post showcased the device playing retro games through the use of an emulator application. According to Edge, the video (which is no longer available) featured someone playing Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3, and also showed off buttons that supposedly opened emulators for Nintendo's Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, NES and SNES.

Nintendo UK PR manager Robert Saunders told Edge the company was unaware of the smartphone's emulation feature and stated that Nintendo would take "rigorous steps" to protect its intellectual property. "Our legal team will examine this to determine if any infringement has taken place," Saunders added. Even if the feature ends up on the cutting room floor, we imagine some crafty hackers are already taking steps to get emulation software working on the Nokia device. Just like they do with everything else.
Source

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I do not see how that works. Are they sueing because it is powerful enough to emulate the consoles because they should then sue dozens of other companies. As far as I know, Nokia ould not have had any involvement in this project.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
All those concolses are out of production, so Ninty gets advertisement for their brand!!!

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bladexdsl said:
emulation has been on the pc for years so are they going to sue.....who made the pc?
The problem is that in this case Nokia advertises the N900 to be a good device for running emulators. Nintendo has a point.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kwartel said:
All those concolses are out of production, so Ninty gets advertisement for their brand!!!
But its preventing sales of those games on the vc. Free advertising isnt worth not selling what your advertising. duh.

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
emulation has been on the pc for years so are they going to sue.....who made the pc?
Most emulators on the PC aren't made by large corporate bodies and rather homebrew enthusiasts. Whereas from what I understand is Nokia is using the emulation support for marketing it's product.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Maikel Steneker said:
Bladexdsl said:
The problem is that in this case Nokia advertises the N900 to be a good device for running emulators. Nintendo has a point.

/Thread, Maikel wins.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
raing3 said:
Bladexdsl said:
Most emulators on the PC aren't made by large corporate bodies and rather homebrew enthusiasts. Whereas from what I understand is Nokia is using the emulation support for marketing it's product.
lol so they actually advertise it can run emulators? are they fucking brain dead stupid!!??

Absynthe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That sure is a sexy phone. It costs 599€ though, so I think I'm pretty sure that I'll never own one.

But Nintendo pisses me off for no reason actually, since they have a point. Or it may be that I'm a Nokia fanboy.

Egonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Almost all modern smartphones can do this, I'm using HTC Magic atm and I can emulate too, it's just downloading an emulator from the Android Market and play, (for smartphone noobs: Android is a competitor of the iPhone => Android Market is the same as App Store) yet I don't see Nintendo sueing here.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh come on Nintendo, you aren't even making a dime off the retro games on any phone and the GBC and GBA games aren't even netting you a profit anymore, the least you can do is allow the use of emulators on phones to preserve these gems for everyone to play. It's better than having your games eventually fading from history.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...