Hacking Nintendo's Secret Update

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure many of you read the updated service agreement for your Wii systems which allows for Ninty to install updates while your system is in standby mode or during any of your online sessions. Well, I for one REFUSE to live my life in fear that Ninty is gonna jack up my system. "Nintendo, I love you but If you want a war, you got one!!!" I think it's high time for someone to create a patch that blocks Wii system updates from WiiConnect 24. Not all WiiConnect24 data is a part of an update, there's your Wii-mail, News and Photo Channel updates and soon animal Crossing will be doing things with the service too. I know there had to be some unified code that tells the w=Wii "Hey, I'm an update. Use me!". If someone could create a patch that stops that line of code from being used then the community is golden.
smile.gif
also, I think it's about time we elected a team specifically for custom updates. Not everything in a Wii update is evil. Nintendo (as rare as it may seem) do try to enhance their system from time to time. If we could have a team focused on giving us the good out of the updates and kicking the bad stuff to the curb that ensures that the Wii homebrew community LIVES on.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FunPolice said:
LightyKD said:
"evil" as in the part of the update that's made to nix your homebrew and/or your systems ability to access any type of homebrew...
HOW IS THAT EVIL?

Hell, it's evil to me!!! I don't know about you but I'm not a mod chipper...One bit of Ninty getting access to my system and EVERYTHING I worked hard at this year is GONE. I'm not trying to risk that.

benwin84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only problem with just not using online and Wii connect 24 is what if Nintendo steps it up and decides you cant play a game with out a specific update from their servers or through a disc update. Also they could have the Wii load data from the disc to force an update in the background or force said update to load when booting a new game. This whole self updating seems they could do it through any method that is available to them not just online.

FunPolice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:
FunPolice said:
LightyKD said:
"evil" as in the part of the update that's made to nix your homebrew and/or your systems ability to access any type of homebrew...
HOW IS THAT EVIL?

Hell, it's evil to me!!! I don't know about you but I'm not a mod chipper...One bit of Ninty getting access to my system and EVERYTHING I worked hard at this year is GONE. I'm not trying to risk that.
worked hard at?

yea right, dude.

you're calling nintendo evil because they take necessary measures to hinder pirates.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
benwin84 said:
The only problem with just not using online and Wii connect 24 is what if Nintendo steps it up and decides you cant play a game with out a specific update from their servers or through a disc update. Also they could have the Wii load data from the disc to force an update in the background or force said update to load when booting a new game. This whole self updating seems they could do it through any method that is available to them not just online.

Which is exactly why we need a patch to stop that "universal" update command... As of this moment updates should not be seen with happiness of any kind...no matter how many new "features" they may have in them.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
benwin84 said:

Forcing a system update in a lot of places is illegal so they cant leglly do it
and as for online ... what about people who dont have any internet like me ? erm ... im writing this post on paper and snail mailing it addressed to 'The Internet'

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LightyKD said:
Which is exactly why we need a patch to stop that "universal" update command... As of this moment updates should not be seen with happiness of any kind...no matter how many new "features" they may have in them.

Its already been done by forsaekn - i posted about it above

benwin84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may be illegal in certain places but by accepting their ToS they said they could update automatically at any time and when they updated it, they made it clearer they could. As long as they can prove it to stop piracy and protect their IP since it is their own software and hardware unlike pcs which has many different and software set ups. I doubt they will implement any self updating updates till they find a way to completely block the HBC and any cIOS on the system. This way they can keep any modifications of their hardware and software.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FunPolice said:
LightyKD said:
FunPolice said:
LightyKD said:
HOW IS THAT EVIL?

worked hard at?

yea right, dude.

you're calling nintendo evil because they take necessary measures to hinder pirates.

FunPolice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.