Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You know, I've noticed that MarioKart DS is still the $35 it's been since I got it over two years ago, and it'll most likely be that price come the three-year anniversary, but I've noticed that this is the same with just about every game on the Wii and DS out now. Apart from the games destined for the bargain bin (shovelware titles for the most part or the occasional game that just doesn't sell well), just about everything is still full retail price. Now, this got me to thinking. I remember the Player's Choice line coming out during the SNES era, seeing how I didn't really get into the console gaming until then and I'm more than sure that the NES didn't have anything of that sort. And the last generation to get anything of the sort was the previous Gamecube/GBA era.

In fact, the only GBA game I've seen with the distinctive PC boxart change was Super Mario Advance 1. I mean, I have no idea when that was rereleased, but I'm thinking by now, there have to be some titles that can be price-dropped, right? I mean, I remember the SNES/GB ones having the gold ribbon on them saying "Player's Choice - Million Seller" and I'm certainly more than sure that some titles have sold more than a million here. =P

This applies to Sony and Microsoft too as the Wikipedia Player's Choice article points out. I mean, I've seen Greatest Hits for the PSP now (but not the PS3 as far as I know) and I know of 360 Platinum Hits too, so where's Nintendo in all of this?

Of course, I'm expecting at least one "They're making too much money to drop the price!" and I can understand that given that you don't drop the price on something still selling well, you drop the price to snare the bargain hunters and people who were reluctant to pay $50+ for the game. But even with that in mind, are people really that willing to pay full price for something that's been out there for almost three years now (as the example of MarioKart above)? I'm not someone who pays diligent attention to the market so I have no idea how long it takes for a game to get that lower pricetag apart from the "ohshit sales are bad" stage.

I've actually been burned by this as well. Like, I bought F-Zero GX at a retail store for maybe $45 thinking it was a good deal on a quickly-rare game, but then Ninty drops it to $20 literally the week after I get it. Dammit. But that aside, I have benefited from it more than anything since stores would actually have the carts and whatnot and plenty of them, and I'd be able to afford them as a kid.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll happen...count on it. Nintendo had it with the GBA and the GC, previous systems as well saw unofficial drops or real players choice setups too.

If I recall though the PC line usually hit in year 3 or 4, except for the case of the GC where it seemed to come a bit quicker due to the unexplainable lag in sales.

When the Wii and DS hit that 3 year-4year mark I'd say count on it. The DS will come first though not just because it's older but games do hit an eventual mark where sales dry up and copies stop being printed, and then it's the time to strike. As far as the Wii goes, perhaps when they get into a 1st or likely 2nd price reduction I could see them reintroduce the early kids on the block like Metroid, Mario and Zelda and go from there with 3rd parties who want to cooperate in it.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked the same question a couple of months back, only for Wii stuff. I'd thought that Nintendo would at least did PC range for their lesser successful games.

You can get the used titles for most of the games from last year and year before for around £20-£24 (Wii titles) a game and I'd thought that Nintendo would want to do something to counter that seeing that they wont get any profits from used titles.

The PS3 has “Platinum” range which is basically most of the launch titles.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Nintendo does do a 'pc-like' pricing for a few Wii things that they budgeted lower or just didn't sell at $50 but did with a decrease. Battalion Wars 2 went 'pc' with a drop to $30 from $50, and they've had a few others out that started at $30 or were lowered too 1st and 3rd party.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^Yah I do, all the time. When a game is actually worth the money for me (when it's new) or when it gets into a budget level territory ($10-30) where it's then worth it I'll grab the game on Wii.

As far as handhelds go I've had less morals over the last decade.
smile.gif
I've had a 'bung' GB/C copier, had 2 GBA copiers and still have one but it's one of those defected FZ Flash where the damn save chip wasn't properly connected to the board or something where it loses the charge in like 24-36hrs) and I'm considering a DS one at some point, though this pc I have is so badass I can just try before I buy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1