GBAtemp Exclusive Nintendo's Paid Online: a yearly checkup/opinion piece

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Meteor7, Sep 14, 2019.

1. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2006
    London
    Well, as a full stack web developer, i can actually agree on the face of the need of 'some' server(s) for the functionality you mention, however, do keep in mind that the number of servers required for this and the amount of work required for this is nothing, not even 1% in comparison to what kind of work it is to offer a 'proper' server-full service. Yes, somebody coded the server infrastructure, for sure and it runs somewhere on some cloud. But, this is still, not directly related to monthly ongoing costs. For all you know, the whole service/library could have been written over the course of a couple of months with a small but highly skilled dev team. Put that in a cloud service and it does not cost as much as you think.

This is why people bitch about it. Cause all of the other services offer real ongoing monthly services that need a big amount of money to keep going. In essence, paying for Xbox Live or PSN pays for the servers, instead of having the companies decided their online path and having an experience that is not as 'smooth' or similar across titles and with a single sign-on.

What Nintendo did is almost nothing in comparison. Matchmaking and group chat are services that you can get for free on so many platforms, which highlights how easy and cheap you can make then/run them.

ajd4096, IncredulousP and chartube12 like this.
  2. Kadji

Kadji GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2006
    Germany
    Germany, NRW
    Is that so? I know of enough Xbox One games that also use P2P with a matchmaking-server (like Nintendo does). Where is the "real ongoing service" that others offer? What is that service?
    Because you said it yourself: "Matchmaking and group chat are services that you can get for free on so many platforms".

Xbox One has it's Game Pass Programm, but that has *nothing* to do with the infastructure.
    So again, I ask you: What exactly is this "ongoing service" that makes xblox live / ps+ better than NSO?
    You know who has a realy good, ongoing service? Nintendo, releasing free DLC for their major games, well knowing that they could easely nickel and dime them like other developers choose to do
    (see: Mario Tennis getting new Characters every month, SMM1 getting a bunch of free updates, SMO getting online multiplayer (Baloon Hunt)...)

Also: Nintendo, like Sony / MS, has Server Costs for their CDN. Yes, they get the budget for their CDN from their sales, but it is still additional cost.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Both Xbox and PlayStation offer their own freebie services with their subscriptions. In the case of XBL it's Games with Gold and on PSN it's Instant Game Collection, both programs allow you to collect games in your Library and play them for ad long as you're a subscriber. This is separate from Gamepass and PS Now which are separate services that give you access to a library of games for the duration of your subscription.

4. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2006
    London
    I do not claim to be an expert on which games use P2P or client/server architecture if i am honest on the other platforms, but i know for sure that Nintendo does only that. I think it is down to the game on what architecture it will use and depending on the level of success, they will get praise or heat either.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't have a problem with P2P, in fact I prefer it as with P2P you have a good chance multiplayer will continue to work or will be easy to reactivate once the service discontinues, but in some implementations it is indeed insufficient. Server-wide or game-wide real time events require some beefy hardware to pull off most times, and that's costly. Either way, even if it was *only* P2P, Nintendo is still entitled to charge for the privilege of using their outdated infrastructure and you're not forced to use it. As of right now they charge a fraction of what the competition charges, so it's to be expected that you also get a fraction of the service you get elsewhere.

6. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    I know it's terrible, but it's so cheap I can't get offended.

7. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Remember when people said that Nintendo's online would get better than 3DS/Wii U because paying for it meant they were going to have more money to invest in it? :rofl2:

IncredulousP and codezer0 like this.
  8. CoupureElectrique

CoupureElectrique Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2018
    Canada
    I never had any game play at 1FPS the way NES online and Mario Maker 2 do so for me, the experience is actually inferior to DS and Wii online

(I play a lot of online games, my ping is usually 40-60ms so my internet is fine)

But to be fair SNES online works perfectly so it seems to be slowly improving

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    The only saving grace NSO has is SNES games, when they had just NES games, I absolutely refused to pay money to play such garbage games.

10. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    The service is good enough, for me.

I've only ever really noticed much lag in random Smash matchups, not really any in MK8D or Stardew Valley. In Smash, I'm usually playing against people on the Eastern coast or the U.K., while I live in the central U.S., it's surprising how little I lag without a LAN adapter. That's not to say that it isn't an issue, though.

I'm glad they added SNES games, NES games really aren't that great in 2019. I had fun with SMW, probably more with games in the future.

The voice chat system SUCKS though. Mainly because I want to play my game AND voice chat at the same time, without having to use any speakers. I want it to all go through my headset. But noooo, you need to use your phone. I wouldn't mind phone verification, but let me VC without a weird setup, please. Also, unrelated but, Bluetooth headset support would be great too.

I haven't actually bought it yet (I've been using subscriptions that were gifted to me and Amazon Prime), however I would/will if prompted.

Good enough, but not great.

11. MagnesG

MagnesG GBAtemp Lurker

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    That is definitely not the best comparison to make lol. Your son, for a measly coffee change yearly paid service? How much worth is a son for you?

12. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I don't think the online is too bad, considering the price, but there does need to be more incentive. also, as I said about saves (only getting a subscription for cloud saving), nintendo needs to allow dumping saves to a usb device or something. with them being locked away, you feel trapped.

13. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Wow, is a shame Microsoft and Sony give way better online services.

I wonder if the Switch Lite has more or less lag?

And Nintendo really has made some bad things for the Switch. The joycons being expensive as hell an easy to break, the pro controller coming broken by default, no save backup unless you pay and not for all games.

And the default storage of the basic Switch model, just 32 GB, makes Digital Only games a terrible idea.

14. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    If they add better features like PS4/Xbone has then it'll be worth it, like damn how hard is it to add a messaging/voice system without needing to use a cellphone?????. It was a good idea for them to lock online games behind a paywall..that used to be free, leg is a feature too right?

15. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I can only hope it gets better. nintendo definitely has a lot of hurdles to overcome. as it stands now, I'd say $20/year is worth it. now, if it was up to the price of xbl and psn, then I'd probably say no. since the switch can be a portable system, they need to do away with all these restrictions.

16. MagnesG

MagnesG GBAtemp Lurker

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    It's not terrible when micro sd can be used.

17. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    whats with the idiotic comparison? how is some service you think sucks comparable to your son?

you say the online service is terrible. thus not worth spending time on it, or paying for it. then don't.
    if people dont pay for it, maybe they'll change something.

18. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    The switch online runs so poorly. The only reason I'd want to go online is to play Mario Maker 2 levels, but it's not worth losing piracy.

19. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    what's that saying you get what you pay for? honestly did you really expect grade A service for $20 a year? yes it's nintendo but you only pay a 1/3rd of what PSN+/XBLG charges so expect less

20. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Total disrespect you hav for nintendo and the history of gaming using the word like gargabe is a disgrace you obviously wasnt around in tht area to appreciate what games achieved back then - fine you can say you don't like them but to call them gargabe is just stupid