Sentient

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Let's speculate. The DS has been out for a couple of years now, and although handheld usually have a longer life-span compared to stationary consoles, the recent trend is pointing towards handheld consoles' and stationary consoles' life-span being about the same. That's about 3-4 years. Seeing as the original phat DS was released in 2004 it looks like 2007 will be the year when we're going to see some rumblings about Nintendo's next handheld. The question is, what will it be? Here are a couple of my thoughts on the subject:

* It's highly likley that we will see a continuation of the DS concept - although perhaps without the dual screens. While the concept of using a touch screen to play games is nothing qualitatively new - it's certainly unique when it comes to mainstream consoles. My prediction is that Nintendo will keep the touch screen aspect of the DS while implementing other types of control mechanics. Since the Wii looks to be a major success in part because of the motion sensing controls, it would be no great exercise of the imagination to predict that a similar type of control will be implemented in the next handheld. For example, a single touchscreen console with motion sensing capabilities.

* Unless Nintendo finds a way to reduce the cost, measured in battery life, of using DVDs or similar as media, we will not see it being used in the next handheld. My predictions are that we will either see a continued use of carts in one form or another, since the storage capacity and cost of cart-based media will continue to increase and decrease, respectively, or some form of digital distribution, depending on how well Nintendo manages to fend off piracy with their present digital distribution of VC games.

* It will expand on the internet browser functionality of the DS, and perhaps even include som form of simple mobile phone capabilites. The last point is more uncertain given Nintendo's pretty conservative view on what a console should be. Either way, if such functionality is included it will probably, contrary to the PSP for example, not be the major touted selling point.

What's your thoughts?

[EDIT]Spelling[/EDIT]

ejp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
* It's highly likley that we will see a continuation of the DS concept - although perhaps without the dual screens. While the concept of using a touch screen to play games is nothing qualitatively new - it's certainly unique when it comes to mainstream consoles. My prediction is that Nintendo will keep the touch screen aspect of the DS while implementing other types of control mechanics. Since the Wii looks to be a major success in part because of the motion sensing controls, it would be no great exercise of the imagination to predict that a similar type of control will be implemented in the next handheld. For example, a single touchscreen console with motion sensing capabilities.

Motion sensing all the way - perhaps the d-pad will be made obsolete in favour of tilting the whole device ? Imagine marble madness or monkey ball - it would be great.

Sil3n7

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I disagree with the fact that there will be anything annouced or even rumbled this year about the next Nintendo handheld. The DS is currently at the peak of its life and it would be foolish to start talking about anything else. If Nintendo wants to maximize their profits they should run it till its out of steam like the gba. The earliest I would see Nintendo taking about it is a TGS 08.
lecture.gif

Qpido

Call me Q.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The fact that they put in a microphone on the DS, makes me think that the next gen will have a camera aswell.
And a better Mic
tongue.gif

Q~

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
One huge, high-res screen (with multitouch support) instead of two.
Motion sensors.
Rumble built in.
Tons of flash memory.
Bluetooth.
WLAN.
VoIP.
A built-in Internet browser and the Wii-like channel system.

And it should make waffles and coffee, but I could forgive them if they don't include that.

Shiatama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
i think it's too early to think about a new handheld! the DS is great! when you look at the number of roms (GBA ~2600 ), there are over 1800 games to come before you can think of a new console...

people never are happy with what they got!!

Do you think now too about the ps4 already
tongue.gif

but for the next handheld HD screen would be great but i don't think that is gonna happen because nintendo was never into great graphics
wink.gif

ejp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd agree that the ds is nowhere near the end of its lifecycle.

But while we're speculating on next gen features and now it's been proved sucessful on the wii - virtual console would be a great addition on a handheld - perhaps there could be wifi wii connectivity to allow you to take your VC games on the move
smile.gif

Sil3n7

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
but for the next handheld HD screen would be great but i don't think that is gonna happen because nintendo was never into great graphicsÂ
wink.gif
I dont really agree, Nintendo is into great graphics its just they are much more balanced than the "other" companies, Its almost as if its their only trick in the hat.... Nintendo knows that gameplay is in the end superior and they act upon it.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo will be waiting for sales of the DS to drop before they even think of making another handheld. When sales drop Nintendo will probably release a few limited edition DSs. At xmas time in the UK the DS lite was totally sold out for a week or so.

Brouhaha

Trophies
Website
spaces.msn.com
XP
Country
Canada
One huge, high-res screen (with multitouch support) instead of two.
Thats a myth the DS only has one sense of touch at a time. If touched in two places the ds just alternates between the two.

Read closer, he's talking about the next iteration, which is what this topic is all about. And multitouch is definitly coming our way in the near future (think iPhone) so why not on the next DS?

QUOTE(adgloride @ Feb 12 2007, 10:54 AM)Nintendo will be waiting for sales of the DS to drop before they even think of making another handheld.

Sure, Nintendo's been sitting on it's ass not thinking about the future... I'd say they've been thinking, experimenting and prototyping tons of stuff since the day the DS was launched.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
What do I think?

It's going to be a Wii handheld, based on Wii technology. Think about it. Nintendo will more then likely release this what...2009, 2010? By which time the Wii will be VERY cheap to make.

As some may know, the Wii only outputs at roughly 10 watts (give or take a watt), which is unbelievably low in power consumption. By this time, Nintendo could make a rechargeable battery (similar to DS Lite) which would make the handheld run for a very long time.

The Handheld will run on dual layer gamecube discs, which will allow for 5 to 10GB of space. The Resolution will be 640x480p natively. It will be backwards compatible with GCN Games, as well as DS Games (it will either be emulated, or with a seperate processor). It will have two USB Ports, which will be placed at the bottom. The DS 2 will have a built in scalar which will allow all games to be scaled up to 480p.

It will be dual screened, with the top screen able to be pushed back down using a spring loaded device. This will allow for classic GCN play, new DS2 play or older DS Play. This will also allow for better form factor. The device itself will be similar to the GBA/PSP, as opposed to the DS/DS Lite.

A Clip on at the back will be available, where an USB Gameboy/Colour/Advance "GB Pocket" add-on can be placed. These cartridges will run via software emulation similar to that on the Wii with NES, SNES and N64 games. Unlike NES, SNES and N64 titles were specific emulators are created for specific games, one global emulator will be used.

It will be Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled with an IR Port on the back. The handheld will feature dual analogue sticks (which can also be pushed down via a spring) and can double as a classic controller for the Wii. The same clip used for the USB add-on can also double up for the classic controller clips found on the back.

The Wi-Fi feature will be there for you to access a website similar to the Wii Shop Channel, where you can download selective NES, SNES and N64 titles, as well as selective GB, GBC and GBA titles (this is due to licensing issues). There shall be a port of Wii Opera for the DS 2, as well as a Forecast and Weather channel. Alongside these ports, Nintendo will make a Playan 2, available for download for a small fee. This will include MP3 and WAV playback, as well as MPEG-2/4 and AVI playback.

Due to the way technology is going, with people wanting TV on the go, Nintendo will be able to adopt the Wii Channels philosophy. However, I am not certain what they will call it. More then likely DS Channels, or something of the sort. The handheld can be upgraded via firmware updates and programs to natively run on it (much like Wii).

This is what I am predicting.

klix108

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt that the next handheld will use motion sensing technology in a major way because that would be too hit and miss on something like a subway.

Emu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to burst a few bubbles but a mobile Wii motion movement is a no go, too many people on the bus will give other riders black eyes or even ram their fist into a pole. The Teej has a pretty good idea of where it's going but yeah...2010 is a more accurate idea considering the GBA came out in like 2000 and though it was 3-4 years later, it had another rerelease(GBAM). They also stated that the DS ISN'T a line of the Game Boy family, so look forward to a new DS type, better graphics etc, 2009-2012. The new Game Boy on the other hand will probably be what The Teej had an idea of, minus the DS options, is my ideal imagination of the new Game Boy, probably due in like...2008-2010. Hope to hear other good ideas like listed above!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt that the next handheld will use motion sensing technology in a major way because that would be too hit and miss on something like a subway.
And shouting "blue", "BAAAALLLOOOO" wasnt hit and miss?

I predict some kind of facial emotion sensor that allows your Nintendog to sense if you are pleased with it by looking at your face. Also a better mic both features will be used by a interrogation game, where you are interrogated for a murder and you have to try and lie to get off while the game itself used the face sensor and voice sensor to see if you are lying.

Mmm wankery.

shaffaaf27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

And shouting "blue", "BAAAALLLOOOO" wasnt hit and miss?

I predict some kind of facial emotion sensor that allows your Nintendog to sense if you are pleased with it by looking at your face. Also a better mic both features will be used by a interrogation game, where you are interrogated for a murder and you have to try and lie to get off while the game itself used the face sensor and voice sensor to see if you are lying.

Mmm wankery.

you know that you had the option to play without speaking in DR kawashima's brain training.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh speculation/fantasy.

I hope they will make another fairly low powered machine (i.e. cheaper machine) once again using ARM stuff.

In terms of fantasy I see roll up lcds making headway and if integrated with touch sensitive stuff with a similar overall aspect ratio (I.e. very tall) that would be great even more so if a section could be reasonably made to display PAL/NTSC grade video (I am thinking emulation here).

I guess it would be DS compatible and I would like to see GBA retained although that would probably fall by the wayside.

I could care less about mic support but decent sound always seems to ellude nintendos handhelds, something like the megadrive sound setup (co processor controlling it) I guess would suit me.

Multimedia is a funny one for me, on the one hand I spent the last couple of years getting to grips with it and really enjoying it and on the other the price hike using it would cause (unless they used something like SNOW which is not going to happen) would not be nice: you have to pay the mpegLA if you want to make a DVD or MPEG4-part whatever certified device. Unless of course they plan to open up the video unlike most things before it (looking at PSP here) then bring it on.

While maybe not solely online the virtual console principle could be expanded.

Form factor is important, while a do not mind it being as small as a SP I would say something in size between an original DS and PSP would work for me provided it was comfortable to hold.

As for mobile/cell phone stuff keep it the hell away from me, my phone will befall and accident one day soon and it shall likely be the happiest/greatest day of my life.

OK reading this I seem to want a slightly more powerful gamepark machine with a touch sensitive display.

Scorpin200

Iceman
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This topic is a totally premature as nintendo would never do something as stupid as to bring out a new system when the ds is the most popular thing on the planet right now, and who cares about a new system would you really want something that's like the wii right now with no games to speak of in place of a system that has a library of a few hundred? Well maybe nintendo will come out with a new gameboy before a new ds anytime soon, and if they do it will happen once the ds is not as popular as it is right now.

P.S Unless nintendo wants to kill their #1 spot at the moment, and give it back to sony then yes it's possible.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Noone said Nintendo would release a new console before they milk the DS for all it's worth. But it's never too early to speculate. And speculation is fun.

And it's never, ever too early to speculate. Look at all the SF floating around
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1