Nintendo's legal team has stepped in to end development on fanmade Metroid project Prime 2D

!Prime 2D.jpg

To the surprise of few, Nintendo has caused the death of another fan game based on one of its properties. Prime 2D, a reimagining of Metroid Prime, but in a classic 2D style, which first appeared on the internet back in April 2021, and has received multiple updates since, has been shut down. The developers behind the fan project, Team SCU, posted an update to their website, saying that "for legal reasons" they have removed the link to the demo of the game that they had been working on, along with the soundtrack, which consisted of original music composed specifically for it. Team SCU had been working on and off Prime 2D since 2004, meaning it took a handful of months for lawyers to kill a fan game that had been in the making for well over a decade.

This bit of news follows the shutdown of the Project+ bracket at this year's Riptide tournament, while also ironically occurring during the same week as Sonic Amateur Games Expo, in which SEGA actively encourages fans to create fan-made romhacks and even full games based on their properties.

:arrow: Source

CheeseMan13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was actually excited for this, fuck this bs

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Upsetting to say, but people should stop wasting time making fan-made Nintendo games. Clearly, they don't fucking like them.

Replace your Nintendo characters in your fangame with Touhou characters and you can sell your fangame on all platforms

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
One advice I have for anyone developing a fan game (or even a mod), don't give it exposure before it is finished. I know it can be difficult, but it's 100% effective, because once it is on the internet Nintendo can do nothing about it.

Last edited by NinStar,

Phenj

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is why i hate Nintendo and stopped supporting them years ago. Even worse than them, their hardcore defenders, bald, fat, and ugly 30 years old virgins on the internet. Literal dogshit of a company.

Inb4: I won't reply to any fat bastard saying "it's copyright, they're right!!".

Last edited by Phenj, , Reason: inb4 retards

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sure it sucks, but this game is different enough from Prime in the first place that they can replace Metroid characters/assets and turn it into an original game with relatively minimal loss of work. There's definitely stuff to be done here besides throwing up their hands and quitting.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i get wanting to make fangames but I don't get trying to make them public again and again despite knowing that they will lead to a c&d the moment someone notices.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is why i hate Nintendo and stopped supporting them years ago. Even worse than them, their hardcore defenders, bald, fat, and ugly 30 years old virgins on the internet. Literal dogshit of a company.

Inb4: I won't reply to any fat bastard saying "it's copyright, they're right!!".
but legally speaking, it is and they are not only right, they are bound by copyright law to react to this in negative ways.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Dude says on a predominantly Nintendo based website.

Nintendo are known for being extremely litigious, to the point where they're assholes about thier properties, but this is a well known fact and fan made games should be kept quiet until they're done, can't stop the ball once it starts rolling.

Shame really that they're the Pixar of game makers, geniuses in their art.

Last edited by yusuo,

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah, this was sad, but expected. It's a surprise to nobody, not even the devs. They succeeded though, they gave out a stellar demo of the game, and showed their worth. They got attention by riding off a loved franchise, and now they can create an original game and be known for being "the ones who made the amazing Prime 2D demo".

Any to anyone who hasn't already tried it: DO IT! It's bloody amazing! Better than most of Nintendo's own efforts, and I say that as a Metroid fan.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't really understand putting so much time and effort into making someone else's IP. Like damn...just make Matroid, a game following Séamus Aran, a chick in an irish suit that lets her turn into a cylinder that can lay plasma landmines

Based on your avatar I betcha still play their games. Which would mean you just find vague sad reasons to love Nintendo's games and pretend your poor ass is stealing their work for a justified reason lol. Big oof.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.