Nintendo’s First-Ever Super Bowl Ad Features Nintendo Switch, The Legend of Zelda

For the first time ever, Nintendo will run an ad during the Super Bowl. The 30-second spot, which along with an extended 90-second version can be seen here:

Full Press Release said:
The ad also features a new song by Imagine Dragons called “Believer” that premiered worldwide Jan. 31.

The star of the ad, which is scheduled to run during the game’s fourth quarter on Feb. 5, is Nintendo Switch, which combines the power of a home console with the mobility of a hand-held video game system.

The star of the ad, which is scheduled to run during the game’s fourth quarter on Feb. 5, is Nintendo Switch, which combines the power of a home console with the mobility of a hand-held video game system. People can play on their TVs at home, then grab Nintendo Switch and continue playing seamlessly wherever they go.

The ad also shows off The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which breaks conventions to become the next defining moment in the classic franchise. It offers the most immersive world that Nintendo has ever created and sends players on an adventure they will never forget.

“The most anticipated video game system and video game of the year will be seen on the biggest stage of the year,” said Nicolas Chavez, Nintendo of America’s Vice President of Marketing. “Nintendo Switch will change how, when and where people play games. It’s only fitting that we’re changing how, when and where we advertise those games.”

The soundtrack to Nintendo’s ad, “Believer” by Imagine Dragons, is available now on iTunes, Apple Music, Google Play, Amazon mp3 and Spotify, and is part of an upcoming new album from the band. This is not the first collaboration between Nintendo and Imagine Dragons, whose members are longtime fans of the video game company and The Legend of Zelda franchise. At The Game Awards in 2014, the band closed the show by performing a medley of music from The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask with veteran Nintendo composer Koji Kondo.

The extended cut of the ad demonstrates the versatility of Nintendo Switch by showcasing the system in a variety of locations where home video games are not traditionally played, from a classroom to a kitchen to a laundromat. It also shows a number of upcoming single- and multiplayer games for the system, and how Nintendo Switch introduces fun new ways to play.

The names and launch timing of Nintendo Switch games featured in the extended cut include The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (March 3), 1-2-Switch (March 3), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April), ARMS (spring), Splatoon 2 (summer), Just Dance 2017 from Ubisoft (March 3) and Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers from Capcom (launch timing TBD). Nintendo Switch will be available at a suggested retail price of $299.99.

LZBOTW_TVC_9.jpg

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Inbox

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Huh, neat song, but I don't think they did that good a job with the commercial. It really looks like they're pushing the "wii" aspect of the Switch, with the motion/party games. I can't see that catering to the dudebro or older 30-somethings that watch the Super Bowl.

The Pokemon Super Bowl commercial they did last year, or was it for the Olympics? I forget. That one was pretty good. This one...doesn't really get me motivated to buy a Switch at all.

Reactions: darkseekerliu

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yeeeeeeah Chary basically hit the nail on the head for me. The vast majority of people watching the Superbowl don't really "coincide" with casual video game players.

But this is Nintendo, who apparently still thinks casual/party games are totally still relevant and didn't die out two years after the Wii released.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
they should use their money for something more important than this -.- damn super bowl commercials are so freaking expensive that I doubt that it is worth it !

// watched it now
not really good as well ... the only "good" thing they are showing is Zelda.
And wtf are those stupid "mini games" they show. At least the good old Street Fighter from the last century looks good :/

Last edited by Youkai,

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is the extended cut but the 30 second cut that is actually airing is just the loner dude playing Zelda. Seems depressing to me.

I think that is going to fall way short and create no buzz at all. Even the extended cut is not memorable and will not be talked about in Monday.

Seems like a real lost opportunity.

Last edited by thorasgar,

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeeeeeeah Chary basically hit the nail on the head for me. The vast majority of people watching the Superbowl don't really "coincide" with casual video game players.

But this is Nintendo, who apparently still thinks casual/party games are totally still relevant and didn't die out two years after the Wii released.
You would be very surprised by how many fans of nfl football are also gamers. I'm sure this is a brilliant marketing idea. Kids all the way up to senior citizens watch the super bowl.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is the extended cut but the 30 second cut that is actually airing is just the loner dude playing Zelda. Seems depressing to me.

I think that is going to fall way short and create no buzz at all. Even the extended cut is not memorable and will not be talked about in Monday.

Seems like a real lost opportunity.
I think that this could generate some interest, at the very least

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You would be very surprised by how many fans of nfl football are also gamers. I'm sure this is a brilliant marketing idea. Kids all the way up to senior citizens watch the super bowl.

Honestly it would probably have been better if they had thrown footage of FIFA 2K16 and that basketball game up there as well, if they're trying to connect with the sports crowd

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Even thought they have some silly things on the package (1 2 Shiat), I think they advertised it all very well :creep: ...I really liked the ad

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The super bowl is a family and friends event for a lot of people. family going to other family members houses and dragging their kids with them. I can imagine the kids being kinda grumpy because they would rather do anything, and i mean anything rather than hanging out with family. that is until all of a sudden they see a nintendo ad. they tell everyone "that's the game system I was telling you guys about. I can't wait to get one!". The adults see the change in the kids attitude so they pay attention to the short ad. Of course not everyone will be into it, but there is a reason those comercial spot cost so much. More people watch that game more than almost all other TV events throughout the year. Not everyone watching it are sports fans who don't game. My wife and I never really watch any sports, but we do watch the super bowl. Not only are you watching the two best teams of the year, but a lot of people, including us, also watch it for the funny commercials.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saw this on youtube not to long ago.
Looks bad ass and seems like they finally got something right for a change. Also notice that there isnt a ton of little kids and old people running around in it lol....
Market more towards teens and adults. Which is great.

I cant wait to see what else they release and when on comes on normal tv.

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly it would probably have been better if they had thrown footage of FIFA 2K16 and that basketball game up there as well, if they're trying to connect with the sports crowd[/QUOTE]

Not really. Not many American football fans like "soccer". Basketball maybe but not soccer.

Last edited by player594,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon never counts as anything. Jk. But seriously, I don't even remember it.

Oh, it was great, way better than this one (and I do like this one mind you), here is the Pokemon ad from last year, though this is the long cut, the Super Bowl version was a shorter 30 second cut:

Last edited by duffmmann,
Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"