Nintendont/Gamecube ISOs Crash When Located On USB Drive

FabFresh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't seen this specific issue and would love clarification. I can play my GameCube games fine through Nintendont directly or USB Loader GX from the SD, but when trying through my USB drive games will crash when loading throughout the game. So to clarify I can find the games on the USB, and start and get into the game, but the game will undoubtedly crash at some point, typically when heavy loading occurs. The game will skip and then a generic Error Code will pop up telling me to restart my Gamecube.

I have modded my wii from scratch multiple times, through two different exploits but no matter what I do, the same issue persists. I have a black Wii but it has all needed ports. I have tried a friend's drive and a friend tried my drive on his modded Wii, and it specifically seems to be my system trying to play the ISO from USB. I've put the Nintendont application on both the SD and USB (and changed needed pathways), used both nkit.iso and converted full sized iso files.

Feeling defeated nothing works and I haven't seen this specific issue, r/WiiHacks has not been helpful. Thanks for anyone taking the time to read this.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dimly recall something about GC games with audio streaming from the disk originally and it being difficult to get that working? Are you using compressed GC images? Like try the normal ISO?

Back on the audio subject if you haven't already tried, try playing a game that doesn't feature streaming audio.

Another thought occurs to me, is your external USB device in good working condition? Like try testing it on a PC with a large file transfer and see if it dips in transfer speeds after long periods of time.

Also try cleaning the port on the Wii? Could be dirty and transfer speeds randomly just fall too low?

I am mostly out of ideas at this point... (I will think of 20 other things to try when I lay down and try to sleep)

FabFresh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the reply. I have tried both the normal 1.4gb sized iso and compressed ones, and the drive is in good condition, formatted to FAT32 with 32kb clusters as recommended. And I had the drive partitioned so that I could play Wii games and Wii games never had the same crashing or error code.

So its iso Gamecube games on the USB drive, while wfbs Wii games run just fine, I know the drive is properly formatted. I am looking into buying a high-capacity SD card but I would rather avoid that as my 1TB drive should be enough for the amount of games/applications I want.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
probably have a slow hdd or the hdd is not getting enough power to keep up with demands on time.

if your hdd only has one usb which is both data and power try getting an y cable, nintendont asks for alot of stuff very fast and if the informations isnt sent on time it crashes.

Reactions: jeannotte

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Make sure you're running the latest version of Nintendont as well as GX (from @blackbox 's signature). Awhile ago I was having issues with launching GC games via GX (it was just starting nintendont instead of launching the game via nintendont), turns out it was because I was running a very old version of Nintendont and it was resolved when I copied over an updated version.

edit: since games are loading fine via USB when launched directly from Nintendont, I don't think this is a power issue as someone else suggested above

You could post a syscheck if you like, but if games are loading fine via Nintendont, then you probably already have IOS58 which should be the only prerequisite for this feature.

edit2: also make sure your GX settings are configured to use Nintendont instead of other GC loaders, and that the path to Nintendont is accurate

Last edited by XFlak,
Reactions: jeannotte

FabFresh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Make sure you're running the latest version of Nintendont as well as GX (from @blackbox 's signature). Awhile ago I was having issues with launching GC games via GX (it was just starting nintendont instead of launching the game via nintendont), turns out it was because I was running a very old version of Nintendont and it was resolved when I copied over an updated version.

edit: since games are loading fine via USB when launched directly from Nintendont, I don't think this is a power issue as someone else suggested above

You could post a syscheck if you like, but if games are loading fine via Nintendont, then you probably already have IOS58 which should be the only prerequisite for this feature.

edit2: also make sure your GX settings are configured to use Nintendont instead of other GC loaders, and that the path to Nintendont is accurate
Thanks for the response. I have the newest versions of Nintendont (build in September 2021) and USB Loader GX. I have downloaded syscheck after restarting from scratch, I used the letterbomb exploit this time following the modmii guide (which was excellent). That guide told me to create a /games folder in my SD after i provided my console info so maybe its specific to my model of Black Wii.

I have checked all pathways, and I have tried Nintendont application on both the USB and the SD, both work fine but it always comes down to my system playing nkit.iso or .iso games from the USB drive. My buddy was able to use my drive and play the same games on his softmodded white wii (day 1 console) just fine. And when I used his drive that was working just fine for him, my games keep crashing in game, while loading. Feeling defeated.

Last edited by FabFresh,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: +1