1. kitanii

OP kitanii Member
    Newcomer

Haven't been in the Wii U scene since around 2017 when I sold my first one, but scoring a new one only yesterday at a thrift store I got an urge to play my Gamecube favourites natively, but with the pros of image quality via the Wii U instead of hardware mods/adapters on an actual GC.

A lot has happened during these years and I'm trying to compile information about Nintendont that's still relevant and true on the Wii U.
    Be it the installation process, do's and don'ts, storage recommendations etc. I will ask a series of questions and based on answers and personal usage with those in mind I'll update this thread to make it more of a guide.

1. Installation
    1.1 - Do you actually need WUPHax to install the homebrew launcher and channel in the vWii mode to use Nintendont?
    1.2 - I know there are forwarders for Nintendont that allow you to boot directly into Nintendont from the Wii U menu, but can you do this w/o having to even bother using vWii at all?

2. Storage - still any dangers of simultaneously using a Wii U formatted USB drive with a FAT32 formatted USB drive while running Nintendont?
    2.1 - I've read that using a USB drive formatted for Wii U titles at the same time as a FAT32 USB drive on which you have your GC iso files can corrupt one or the other (perhaps both?)
    Is this still true and at what point do you need to unplug your Wii U drive if so?

2.2 - If you use a forwarder to the Nintendont app from the Wii U menu, but want to play your isos do you have to install the forwarder on your nand and then unplug the Wii U drive if you have one?

2.3 - Can you place/install GC and or Wii iso files on a Wii U formatted drive and have them visible for Nintendont?

3. Differences in image quality/performance etc. between installation methods - VC injects, iso files etc.

3.1 - Are there any differences in these regards between installing a GC game as a VC title compared to running it manually by first loading Nintendont?
    3.2 - Since VC injects are installed like any Wii U title I assume these can be installed on both nand or a Wii U formatted USB drive without any dangers?

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I'll try to answer.

1-1. you need nintendont on the sd card.
    1-2. you can access nintendont via a forwarder without ever having to go to the virtual wii. that's how I have mine setup.

2-1. no dangers really. if you use an hdd (I use sd card), use ustealth to hide the fat32 formatted drive. that's how I have mine setup to play wii games on the vwii.

2-2. no, you don't. use ustealth.

2-3. I think you can inject nintendont with cube games and have them on the wii u formatted drive. I have all isos on an sd card, and I have no issues.

3-1. afaik, no. gamepad support for either.

3-2. probably, yes. I'd suggest installing the nintendont forwarder. you can only install 300 titles on the wii u. well, technically 292 I believe as official apps count towards that limit.

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. kitanii

OP kitanii Member
    Newcomer

Thanks a bunch for answering so quickly!

In response to:
    1.1 - But the forwarder for Nintendont can be installed on both USB and nand? If you don't use ustealth you have to install the forwarder on nand?
    2.1 - You mean you hide the Wii U drive with ustealth? But are there any dangers if you don't hide the Wii U drive?

4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    you hide the virtual wii drive. no dangers, just remember to unstealth it when you reconnect it to your computer.

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. kitanii

OP kitanii Member
    Newcomer

Sorry it's a bit confusing to me.
    To clarify; The vWii drive is the same drive as the one you use for your Wii U games?

6. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    no, different drives. the wii u will force a format of the entire drive.

MrCokeacola likes this.
  7. kitanii

OP kitanii Member
    Newcomer

So when you say "vWii drive" you mean the regular FAT32 formatted USB drive you use for your wii/gc isos?

8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
  9. Nomado

Nomado Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Madagascar
    3.1. Using Teconmoon's WiiVC Injector. Gamecube games can be played using Gamepad. I am not certain whether that supports playing Backups from exHDD. But certainly I know that playing GC backup from SD card works.
    I have setup WiiU forwarder for USB Loader GX and been using that to load Gamecube backups and USB Loader GX supports my Wii U Pro controller. So I don't need Wii Remote. When I want to play on my gamepad, I have VC Inject of USB Loader GX on my WiiU that supports gamepad.

10. kitanii

OP kitanii Member
    Newcomer

Thanks for all answers so far!
    One thing I've found out by trying is that if you install a Nintendont forwarder to your nand memory it won't see your GC isos from a USB drive. Only from the SD card.

Running Nintendont manually by going into vWii mode first and then launching Nintendont via the vWii hbl it sees the isos from both SD and USB.

Tried making a VC inject title of a GC game using Teconmoon and it installs just fine on the nand memory, but after launching it I'm stuck on a black screen that hard freezes my Wii U forcing me to actually unplug the power. Holding the power button down on the console for even 30 seconds doesn't help. Any tips?

EDIT:
    Of course I made sure to run Haxchi before trying to launch my VC inject GC game.

EDIT 2:
    OK. GC injected games from the Wii U menu had me stuck on either a black screen or with Nintendont in the background trying to virtualize a memory card forcing me to pull the plug.
    The issue is the latest version of Nintendont. 6.489 crashes when you use GC injected titles while having a USB connected controller like the Wii U GC adapter and an official GC gamepad. Unplug the USB controller and 6.489 should boot GC injects. Or you do what I did; Install 6.486 and you can keep your USB controllers connected. Unfortunately this version doesn't have the LAN emulation called BBA from what I understand. However 6.489 works with USB controllers connected if you don't use GC injects and instead use a Nintendont forwarder or run it via vWii and run your isos from there. Took a lot of trial and error to rule this one out. Hope it helps!

Last edited by kitanii, Sep 12, 2020
  11. Tmpe0

Tmpe0 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    By any chance would you know the reasoning behind the black screen issue with VC injects? I injected nintendont on my Wii U home screen and I get a black screen everytime; maybe once or twice out of 10 times I launch it itll work, though

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - information, Nintendont, practices