1. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    Despite all the cries of fanboyism and hate, I have to agree that Nintendo has overpriced games on the eShop. I can buy the original carts for Game Boy cheaper. I don't care about 3D versions of NES games, because the 3D adds nothing, and playing an NES game on the 3DS isn't that fun because the screen is tiny compared to a television screen. I prefer using buttons to play games, but I have TONS of games on my iPhone, and I definitely agree that the screen is better, and the touch screen is much nicer than the 3DS' touch screen. Nintendo needs more competitive pricing, I would say, else they will get outdone by mobile gaming. Whether or not you like mobile gaming, you can't deny that it's giving Nintendo a run for their money. Also, the eShop is an ugly mess. At least I can navigate the App Store on my iPhone.

2. Jan1tor

Jan1tor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What I think Nintendo should do doesn't really matter. Are they overpriced? That is a matter of opinion. Apparently they must be priced alright or Nintendo would lower them to test the selling rate. They must be selling just fine since they seem to be leaving the prices as marked. In other words Nintendo apparently is happy with the amount of revenue it is making from the E-shop or there would be changes. Someone must be buying them. I have bought some (Not many). I feel (still my opinion) the quality on most of the games should go up from what it is. A lot of the games are just crippled versions of the whole game like "Bejeweled twist" Not the same as the cartridge. There are a few others like this as well. I wouldn't mind paying the money for true quality games. .....Still my opinion.

3. qdog82

qdog82 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Zen pinball on ios is free but you only get 1 table, and if you want more you have to pay 1.59 euro for a table . On 3ds you get 4 tables for 5 euros.
    Lets golf 3 is also heavily based on in-app purchases. Lets have a look what the highest purchase is, a treasure chest full of cash for only 39,99 euro!!!

Lots of ios games recently changed to microtransactions, where you get the base barebone game for free.
    So i rather stick to normal full games then that shit.

1 person likes this.
  4. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    OP uses preatty bad examples to begin with. Zen pinball only comes with one table for free on iphone, you have to pay for the other ones at a 1-2$ each. The 3ds version comes with 4 tables and beyond that, is in 3d.

Lets Golf 3 is even worse. Its only free as long as you have credits. If you run out of those, you either have to a) buy more b) earn more or c) stop playing until they very slowly recharge.

Even beyond these bad examples, most free games on phones have ads. Do I want ads in 3ds games? Heck no.

While there are some examples worth pointing out ( Cut the rope, for example - 99 cents versus 5$) overall I think this isa woefully misguided thread.

Edit Itook a phone call during the middle of this post and qdog82 beat me to the punch I guess. Still a very valid point that few phone games are truly free.

5. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Let's see what people find wrong with the iDon't (yes I went there :tpi:) and phone games in general to small games on gaming devices comparison.

Advertisements, selling games lower than the should be, some kinda phone games dlc ,quality of the games under the same names,part of a full game, bad clones
    and maybe just few games that are remotely good (port of old games or make for the phone) are doubtfully cheap ($8-10) compare to what most people will
    actually buy on a phone, if they are buying at all.

Can Nintendo e-shop games should be a little lower? Maybe.

I didn't really buy from online stores...

6. Ethanx94

Ethanx94 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The 3DS store really could use some more free games, or at least demos/trial versions.

1 person likes this.
  7. 431unknown

431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Quit your bitching, sell your 3DS and go buy another iOS device. Problem solved.

4 people like this.
  8. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States

9. gameandmatch

gameandmatch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well excuuuuse us princess. Since you obviously missed what the person above you said, Nintendo doesn't not focus on downloadable games. Another is that if you have both, why the hell are you complaining?! If you can get it for free on your iDevice: get it on your iDevice instead complaining about how you have to pay for it on the 3ds but get it for free on you iDevice.

10. Langin

Langin HI! ^O^

Netherlands
    What the fuck is going on?!

APPLE yes I say APPLE

makes MUSIC PLAYERS. iPODS, that's what they meant for.

Nintendo makes games, GAMES.

You all say a Music player is better then a Nintendo. Shitty minigames you play twice are better then a game in the e-shop you pay €5 and play for about 10 hours... Sorry but everyone who thinks like this is just dumb.

Also touch screen controls... erm well you're blocking half of the screen with your fingers great idea so I cannot see half of what's meant to see! Hell that er what was it named Modern Combat or so? I got shot 3 times because I had to block the part where some guy was! >.>;;

2 people like this.
  11. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

Greed and Overcharging? Sounds like Apple and the iDevices to me.

1 person likes this.
  12. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

I would suggest that Apple are UNDER CHARGING for games, however the prices are set by the creators rather than Apple. I have been a game for probably longer than a lot of you have even been alive, game prices on consoles have always been high, Nintendo are obviously making plenty of sales with their downloads, so why the hell should they drop their prices? If you were selling tones of items at a high price would you lower your price just because a couple of fanboys said that their fav system have similar games for a slightly cheaper price? I don't think you would.
    Yes the button argument is a very valid one. YOU CAN NOT PLAY A PLATFORM GAME ON A I DEVICE WITH VIRTUAL BUTTONS, YOU CAN NOT HIT THE BUTTONS CORRECTLY AND YOUR THUMBS COVER THE SCREEN SO YOU CAN'T SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING 99% of games are designed to use buttons for controls, if you change real buttons for virtual screen covering buttons, you kill the game itself.

2 people like this.
  13. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    +1 to spinal cord. I have all the emulators on my phone, but its hard to play anything besides a simple game like tertris. Fzero is a nightmare.

14. Singularity_UK

Newcomer

I think Nintendo's going about it the wrong way by offering 'app' games on their service; they obviously can't compete.

15. Spidey_BR

Spidey_BR GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Who said that Ninty is making plenty of money on downloadable games? I doubt that, HARD.

16. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    $80 price cut wasn't enough?

Considering I've seen plenty of DS games go for $35 new, how is $40 new so bad? The games probably have higher production costs and such.

As per the "downloadable games", who cares? How much did you spend on a new iPad? How much did you spend on a new 3DS (even before the price cut)? Unless you're addicted to downloadable titles like crack cocaine, I couldn't see anyone spending more on a 3DS + downloadable titles than on an iPad + downloadable titles.

17. boombox

boombox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

18. Mariosegafreak

Mariosegafreak AKA ZeroTheSavior

United States
    Meh.
    PS3 & XBOX 360 game: 49.99
    PSP Game: 14.99
    3DS: 39.99
    And then the Vita will come out and its games will be overpriced. Also, iPad games cost about as much as eshop games, so why complain?

19. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States

20. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

lol @thisthread.

people whining about how this should need to lower price or that should need to be cheaper, they're probably just being cheapskates. give them an inch of compromise, and they'd probably take a yard or so.

if you want something and you can afford it, go buy it. if you don't wanna/can't pay for it, then don't. but stop nagging. it obviously doesn't matter how Nintendo prices their games, retail and digital. if people buy it, it's as good a price as any.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendoh, prices,