Gaming Nintendoh NEED to drop prices to stay in the game

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Despite all the cries of fanboyism and hate, I have to agree that Nintendo has overpriced games on the eShop. I can buy the original carts for Game Boy cheaper. I don't care about 3D versions of NES games, because the 3D adds nothing, and playing an NES game on the 3DS isn't that fun because the screen is tiny compared to a television screen. I prefer using buttons to play games, but I have TONS of games on my iPhone, and I definitely agree that the screen is better, and the touch screen is much nicer than the 3DS' touch screen. Nintendo needs more competitive pricing, I would say, else they will get outdone by mobile gaming. Whether or not you like mobile gaming, you can't deny that it's giving Nintendo a run for their money. Also, the eShop is an ugly mess. At least I can navigate the App Store on my iPhone.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I think Nintendo should do doesn't really matter. Are they overpriced? That is a matter of opinion. Apparently they must be priced alright or Nintendo would lower them to test the selling rate. They must be selling just fine since they seem to be leaving the prices as marked. In other words Nintendo apparently is happy with the amount of revenue it is making from the E-shop or there would be changes. Someone must be buying them. I have bought some (Not many). I feel (still my opinion) the quality on most of the games should go up from what it is. A lot of the games are just crippled versions of the whole game like "Bejeweled twist" Not the same as the cartridge. There are a few others like this as well. I wouldn't mind paying the money for true quality games. .....Still my opinion.

qdog82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zen pinball on ios is free but you only get 1 table, and if you want more you have to pay 1.59 euro for a table . On 3ds you get 4 tables for 5 euros.
Lets golf 3 is also heavily based on in-app purchases. Lets have a look what the highest purchase is, a treasure chest full of cash for only 39,99 euro!!!

Lots of ios games recently changed to microtransactions, where you get the base barebone game for free.
So i rather stick to normal full games then that shit.

Reactions: 1 person

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP uses preatty bad examples to begin with. Zen pinball only comes with one table for free on iphone, you have to pay for the other ones at a 1-2$ each. The 3ds version comes with 4 tables and beyond that, is in 3d.

Lets Golf 3 is even worse. Its only free as long as you have credits. If you run out of those, you either have to a) buy more b) earn more or c) stop playing until they very slowly recharge.

Even beyond these bad examples, most free games on phones have ads. Do I want ads in 3ds games? Heck no.

While there are some examples worth pointing out ( Cut the rope, for example - 99 cents versus 5$) overall I think this isa woefully misguided thread.

Edit Itook a phone call during the middle of this post and qdog82 beat me to the punch I guess. Still a very valid point that few phone games are truly free.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's see what people find wrong with the iDon't (yes I went there :tpi:) and phone games in general to small games on gaming devices comparison.

Advertisements, selling games lower than the should be, some kinda phone games dlc ,quality of the games under the same names,part of a full game, bad clones
and maybe just few games that are remotely good (port of old games or make for the phone) are doubtfully cheap ($8-10) compare to what most people will
actually buy on a phone, if they are buying at all.

Can Nintendo e-shop games should be a little lower? Maybe.

I didn't really buy from online stores...

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
NintenDOH desperately need to drop their prices in the eShop.
1 new example is ZenPinball.
In the eShop its got a price of $7.50
I just got it in the iPad for FREE.
Its also available on any iDevice for free.

Same as Lets Golf 3
In the eShop its $9.00
On the iDevice its FREE

So the 3DS is 3D. The iPad is 10x bigger and better screen. Even the iPhone 4 is a better screen and its also bigger.

Would you like a tiny 3D version or a bigger easier to see version?
More details go into the bigger version.
ITS FREE on iDevices.

If thats not a huge reason why NintenDOH need to drop their prices then I dont have a clue how they do business and keep making money.

Go compare just about all the games in the eShop to the same game in the Apple App Store and you will see the 3DS eShop is about 10x more for a 10x less quality game.

I keep saying the 3DS will be killed and it'll be NintenDOH that pulls the trigger.

Quit your bitching, sell your 3DS and go buy another iOS device. Problem solved.

Reactions: 4 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually agree here.

And yes, as people have said the 3DS and Ipad/Ipod are different devices altogether
They arnt marketed as gaming devices, thier main marketing is enterainment,

and some would deem them as not gaming devices 'because they don't have buttons' *derp derp derp*
Yeah, Cause Mario is so much better when you just TAP and SLIDE to go everywhere.

but buttons and 3 dimensional view is not a valid reason for Nintendo to overcharge their customers on things that can be bought for buttons
Your not paying for buttons, your paying for the whole game, without extra purchases, buttons, and the fact that you dont have to have a iDevice to play it. But still some games are over priced.

on Ipad/Ipod or even PC (it has fucking buttons!).
I can get 50 different verisons of angry birds packed with tons more content and for free on a PC so that argument works both ways.

In fact they still charge a load just for DSi software/games...which (from the latter) look absolute wank.
Yeah! 5 bucks for a game that doesnt have HD , THATS WHAT MAKES THEM OVERPRICED RIGHT THERE.

This is the main reason I haven't bought a single thing through the Nintendo shop, sure some of the money goes to the creators of the software..but if they can get by getting 99p for it on other devices, then I'm sure there's something Nintendo can change, it's just arrogance greed really.
Yeah, Because charging 99 bucks just to put a free game on a online store isnt greed at all. All companies should follow Apples golden policies.

Another thing that I don't agree with is the very shallow review system - based on stars/gender/hardcore and beginner gamers...yeah thanks for that great insight.
Hey dumbass, If you make a family based system do you want to see what kind of people like the game or hear the 6 year old "gamer" tell you about how "This game sucks because its old"

Another thing people seem to forget is that thier are alot of great DSi/3DSware excusives. Its not JUST ports. Plus if you want to talk about people over charging cheep games then the whole app store is a bonfire for that level of flame. EVERYTHING on that store I could find a game atleast similar to it as either an indie game on a website or a flash game.

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually agree here.

And yes, as people have said the 3DS and Ipad/Ipod are different devices altogether and some would deem them as not gaming devices 'because they don't have buttons' *derp derp derp* but buttons and 3 dimensional view is not a valid reason for Nintendo to overcharge their customers on things that can be bought for buttons on Ipad/Ipod or even PC (it has fucking buttons!). In fact they still charge a load just for DSi software/games...which (from the latter) look absolute wank.

This is the main reason I haven't bought a single thing through the Nintendo shop, sure some of the money goes to the creators of the software..but if they can get by getting 99p for it on other devices, then I'm sure there's something Nintendo can change, it's just arrogance greed really. Another thing that I don't agree with is the very shallow review system - based on stars/gender/hardcore and beginner gamers...yeah thanks for that great insight.

The only thing I plan to buy is Colors! 3D when it's finally released, and possibly push and pull, after watching the Bitblock's great review.
Well excuuuuse us princess. Since you obviously missed what the person above you said, Nintendo doesn't not focus on downloadable games. Another is that if you have both, why the hell are you complaining?! If you can get it for free on your iDevice: get it on your iDevice instead complaining about how you have to pay for it on the 3ds but get it for free on you iDevice.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What the fuck is going on?!

APPLE yes I say APPLE

makes MUSIC PLAYERS. iPODS, that's what they meant for.

Nintendo makes games, GAMES.

You all say a Music player is better then a Nintendo. Shitty minigames you play twice are better then a game in the e-shop you pay €5 and play for about 10 hours... Sorry but everyone who thinks like this is just dumb.

Also touch screen controls... erm well you're blocking half of the screen with your fingers great idea so I cannot see half of what's meant to see! Hell that er what was it named Modern Combat or so? I got shot 3 times because I had to block the part where some guy was! >.>;;

Reactions: 2 people

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I actually agree here.

And yes, as people have said the 3DS and Ipad/Ipod are different devices altogether and some would deem them as not gaming devices 'because they don't have buttons' *derp derp derp* but buttons and 3 dimensional view is not a valid reason for Nintendo to overcharge their customers on things that can be bought for buttons on Ipad/Ipod or even PC (it has fucking buttons!). In fact they still charge a load just for DSi software/games...which (from the latter) look absolute wank.

This is the main reason I haven't bought a single thing through the Nintendo shop, sure some of the money goes to the creators of the software..but if they can get by getting 99p for it on other devices, then I'm sure there's something Nintendo can change, it's just arrogance greed really. Another thing that I don't agree with is the very shallow review system - based on stars/gender/hardcore and beginner gamers...yeah thanks for that great insight.

The only thing I plan to buy is Colors! 3D when it's finally released, and possibly push and pull, after watching the Bitblock's great review.
Greed and Overcharging? Sounds like Apple and the iDevices to me.

Reactions: 1 person

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I would suggest that Apple are UNDER CHARGING for games, however the prices are set by the creators rather than Apple. I have been a game for probably longer than a lot of you have even been alive, game prices on consoles have always been high, Nintendo are obviously making plenty of sales with their downloads, so why the hell should they drop their prices? If you were selling tones of items at a high price would you lower your price just because a couple of fanboys said that their fav system have similar games for a slightly cheaper price? I don't think you would.
Yes the button argument is a very valid one. YOU CAN NOT PLAY A PLATFORM GAME ON A I DEVICE WITH VIRTUAL BUTTONS, YOU CAN NOT HIT THE BUTTONS CORRECTLY AND YOUR THUMBS COVER THE SCREEN SO YOU CAN'T SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING 99% of games are designed to use buttons for controls, if you change real buttons for virtual screen covering buttons, you kill the game itself.

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$80 price cut wasn't enough?

Considering I've seen plenty of DS games go for $35 new, how is $40 new so bad? The games probably have higher production costs and such.

As per the "downloadable games", who cares? How much did you spend on a new iPad? How much did you spend on a new 3DS (even before the price cut)? Unless you're addicted to downloadable titles like crack cocaine, I couldn't see anyone spending more on a 3DS + downloadable titles than on an iPad + downloadable titles.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
I actually agree here.

And yes, as people have said the 3DS and Ipad/Ipod are different devices altogether
​They're not bought just for playing games on, but Apple still sell games on their devices and are trying to break into the industry with some pretty competative games and prices.

and some would deem them as not gaming devices 'because they don't have buttons' *derp derp derp*
Yeah, Cause Mario is so much better when you just TAP and SLIDE to go everywhere.
​Surely you'd realise that I'm not comparing Mario here? I'm comparing games such as 'Cut the Rope', 'Shantae', 'Plants V Zombies' - other's that are both available on the 3DS/Dsi and the Iphone/Ipad/Ipod...all the same, no difference apart from being used on different hardware. I'm not including the full prices, Nintendo only games into this point.

but buttons and 3 dimensional view is not a valid reason for Nintendo to overcharge their customers on things that can be bought for buttons
Your not paying for buttons, your paying for the whole game, without extra purchases, buttons, and the fact that you dont have to have a iDevice to play it. But still some games are over priced.
​What...so Apple don't sell full games? Go to Nintendo's 3DS/Dsi shop and see that games such as 'Brain Training', 'Art Academy' and 'Electroplankton' have all been split up..they're not full games? Yes they state they aren't - just bringing it up. You don't need an idevice to play some of these games..that's why i said you can play them on the PC, You can also play them on other, more affordable smart phones (which have better prices than Apple).

on Ipad/Ipod or even PC (it has fucking buttons!).
I can get 50 different verisons of angry birds packed with tons more content and for free on a PC so that argument works both ways.

In fact they still charge a load just for DSi software/games...which (from the latter) look absolute wank.
Yeah! 5 bucks for a game that doesnt have HD , THATS WHAT MAKES THEM OVERPRICED RIGHT THERE.
​Are you implying I am only interested in HD games and incredible graphics? Then you're wrong. I was actually meaning the gameplay - don't take the word 'look' literally...

This is the main reason I haven't bought a single thing through the Nintendo shop, sure some of the money goes to the creators of the software..but if they can get by getting 99p for it on other devices, then I'm sure there's something Nintendo can change, it's just arrogance greed really.
Yeah, Because charging 99 bucks just to put a free game on a online store isnt greed at all. All companies should follow Apples golden policies.
​I'm actually not an apple fan at all, this isn't about Apple being 'amazing' or boning over them thanks, it's just literally comparing 2 devices and their prices..not Steve Jobs 'brilliance' I couldn't give a flying fuck either way.

Another thing that I don't agree with is the very shallow review system - based on stars/gender/hardcore and beginner gamers...yeah thanks for that great insight.
Hey dumbass, If you make a family based system do you want to see what kind of people like the game or hear the 6 year old "gamer" tell you about how "This game sucks because its old"
​Fair point - obnoxiously made ¬_¬

Another thing people seem to forget is that thier are alot of great DSi/3DSware excusives. Its not JUST ports. Plus if you want to talk about people over charging cheep games then the whole app store is a bonfire for that level of flame. EVERYTHING on that store I could find a game atleast similar to it as either an indie game on a website or a flash game.
​Pretty much anyone can put anything up to download on the Apple store, for free, for 1million bucks, as long as they have the software to do it. So yeah, there is a lot of shit on there, I didn't say there wasn't. But I also think that's the reason for it's success. You can't deny that Nintendo think their the Ambrosia and can price what the hell they want, and this was mainly a personal (rather English and pessimistic) rant of how shit their shop is...and I still think it is!

Deleted member 282441

AKA ZeroTheSavior
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh.
PS3 & XBOX 360 game: 49.99
PSP Game: 14.99
3DS: 39.99
And then the Vita will come out and its games will be overpriced. Also, iPad games cost about as much as eshop games, so why complain?

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
​They're not bought just for playing games on, but Apple still sell games on their devices and are trying to break into the industry with some pretty competative games and prices.
Are you seriously calling games like Cut the Rope and Angry Birds competative?

​Surely you'd realise that I'm not comparing Mario here? I'm comparing games such as 'Cut the Rope', 'Shantae', 'Plants V Zombies' - other's that are both available on the 3DS/Dsi and the Iphone/Ipad/Ipod...all the same, no difference apart from being used on different hardware. I'm not including the full prices, Nintendo only games into this point.
Mario was an example to support the eariler made point that alot of games cant be properly enjoyed with vitual buttons or touch gestures. Otherwise im sure the DS wouldnt have had buttons either. And your taking what? 3 games out of 20-50 ipod ports?

​What...so Apple don't sell full games? Go to Nintendo's 3DS/Dsi shop and see that games such as 'Brain Training', 'Art Academy' and 'Electroplankton' have all been split up..they're not full games? Yes they state they aren't - just bringing it up. You don't need an idevice to play some of these games..that's why i said you can play them on the PC, You can also play them on other, more affordable smart phones (which have better prices than Apple).

Im not talking about full games, Im talking about the game thier selling being whole. Plus, Its one thing to take a game that was popular but has become so old its not on retail and split it into smaller more portable downloads, its another thing to sell someone a game and then make them pay extra to get the WHOLE game.

​Are you implying I am only interested in HD games and incredible graphics? Then you're wrong. I was actually meaning the gameplay - don't take the word 'look' literally...
You said look without any way of me telling different what am I supposed to asume you mean?

​I'm actually not an apple fan at all, this isn't about Apple being 'amazing' or boning over them thanks, it's just literally comparing 2 devices and their prices..not Steve Jobs 'brilliance' I couldn't give a flying fuck either way.

Then you should understand that one game was made for FULL GAMES, and one was made for little 5 minute games.

​Fair point - obnoxiously made ¬_¬

:P

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
lol @thisthread.

people whining about how this should need to lower price or that should need to be cheaper, they're probably just being cheapskates. give them an inch of compromise, and they'd probably take a yard or so.

if you want something and you can afford it, go buy it. if you don't wanna/can't pay for it, then don't. but stop nagging. it obviously doesn't matter how Nintendo prices their games, retail and digital. if people buy it, it's as good a price as any.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse