Nintendo, You Have a Very Serious Problem.

Do you approve of Nintendo's direction as of late?

• Total voters

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
amiibo-new-3ds-xl.JPG

Holy smokes, what's this, a wild article that hasn't been seen in a long time! I am back in the action again, hopefully for a while right now, and might as well take advantage of this situation to incessantly rant and ramble write about the things that I've been coming up with. Having purchased some new Nintendo hardware as of late, things have definitely caught my eye that have not made my experiences with Nintendo pleasant.

[prebreak]Continue reading[/prebreak]

Recently I've been going on a Nintendo related spree and buying a Wii U and a New Nintendo 3DS, and I'm kind of unsure what I really feel lately, because there's been some very questionable decisions that they've decided to pull with their business decisions as of late. I'm talking, of course, about the many blunders they have made in the Amiibo, the fact that only North America has been held back from a regular model of the New Nintendo 3DS, their clunky infrastructure, and the limited edition idea that's had everyone in an absolute uproar.

468px-Amiibo_logo.jpg
Starting with Amiibo, who would have guessed that these little figurines (which I must say are entirely charming...) would be such a hot ticket item? The figures themselves, which are compatible with certain Nintendo titles as in-game content and characters, in a way, have been seeing massive shortages, with stocks of "limited edition" Amiibo selling out within minutes of orders being placed. The fact that some of these items are limited to certain stores makes it even more irksome as it's been creating a sense of artificial demand which leads to people scalping the items at absolutely insane prices, such as a Golden Mario Amiibo selling for a 670% markup on eBay. Looking at that article from Ars Technica, even Amiibos with defects out the factory are selling for absurd prices. Try a Peach Amiibo that sold for $25,000 It's shocking, and it's even more desolate in the North American region because the stock is extremely limited to begin with, which may have to do with the fact that the US ports had been on strike, which caused a severe reduction in the number of units that were able to be moved. Other gamers from the other corners of the globe have been reveling in the fact that the Amiibos are widely available. Nintendo seems to have this idea of "limited edition" firmly planted in their heads, and it's not doing any favors for them.

Back towards the end of last year, the New Nintendo 3DS was announced as a successor to the Nintendo 3DS XL, which came out in two models - a smaller sized Nintendo 3DS which had the ability to swap faceplates, and had a nostalgic set of buttons that were colored in the scheme of the old Super Nintendo, and a larger Nintendo 3DS XL. This decision was well received by the gaming community, except when it came over to America, where Nintendo decided to make our decision for us by offering us a charger-less console in the XL size only. Their feedback?

"We think New Nintendo 3DS XL makes the most sense for our market...The core audience... we weren't going to win with them on that decision. But we had to think about expanding the user base, we had to be able to market it and make it easy to pick up for consumers.

It's ridiculous. I get the fact that smaller models may have not sold extremely well, but the fact is that Nintendo is doing nothing but creating a sense of isolationism from its gaming audience, and losing its core gamers that have chosen to stick with them for decades. I do, however, think that the New Nintendo 3DS is a step in the right direction, and should have been the first console in the 3DS line to be released, because it did a lot of things right and corrected a lot of the wrongs that plagued its predecessors. It's a kick in the shins at this point considering that everyone in the world has access to both sizes, except the US, and when limited edition consoles come out for the US it goes even worse.

9add-d0xBtUDT-PxZ-zW8MBkGL2gYoIM.jpg

With the idea of limited edition, we'd expect a fair opportunity to be able to be able to pick them up. Right? Nintendo launched a limited edition Majora's Mask New Nintendo 3DS XL, which looks surprisingly dandy when held in person. That console sold out everywhere, in minutes. Considering the fact that at times these stocks of the item were listed at obscene times like 3AM in Pacific Time, that's a bit much. I knew people that had to set all kinds of crazy alerts on their phones notifying them that new stock was available. I personally went out and tried to order the Majora's Mask console at a local game shop, to be told that the person in front of me walked out with the last preorder. Backlash was terrifying to behold as people couldn't get a hold of the console, having to look at eBay as scalpers took the console and sold it in an attempt to earn extra cash. The console sells for an average of $400, double the original price of the standard models. Finding it in stores is next to impossible, if not impossible, and while I get the idea of a limited edition console, the implementation that stores used to sell the item, allowing scalpers to obtain many units, failed abysmally. The execution was awful, and even though Nintendo acknowledged the issue being related to the Western docking port strikes, it's still a low blow. It just seems like everything with Nintendo lately is just clunky lately, including their online infrastructure transfer.

Just how clunky is Nintendo's process? Anything and everything with their online feels extremely dated, with friend codes, a shoddy camera that takes pictures in HD 0.3 MP photos, and limited voice chat. In an era where console games are tied to an account, going back to Nintendo with their console-tied data is like going back to Radio Shack to purchase old parts (no offense to those who still use the store, but in my area the place is subject to all kinds of scorn...) The main point here is looking at their Nintendo 3DS system transfer protocol, which involves a series of sixteen relatively confusingly worded steps that, if messed up, would cause data loss. It's frankly bizarre and out of place. I linked a video below.

The process in general, once you get past all of the vague portions, is actually quite easy to pull off. It really is not difficult, but it's slightly confusing and could be easily changed. The process itself, depending on which method you use to transfer, could take an obscene amount of time as well, which makes it even sadder that the games are not account based. Looking at something like the Playstation Vita, all I had to do was enter my account name and I had full access to my library and could pick up where I left off, just like that. Not to mention, that with the Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo changed things up in a bizarre way by forcing users to adapt to a micro SD card... which, in addition, is located underneath the back faceplate, which requires a screwdriver to remove. It's tedious, and pointless, considering that every iteration that has used the memory card has had a small side slot that could be opened at will. Given that Nintendo is a very kid-friendly ecosystem, their moves on the New Nintendo 3DS baffled me.​
So, seriously Nintendo, I ask what are you doing? The decisions you're making are alienating your gamers. Nintendo really needs to modernize and get their head out of the gutter, because while I see a lot of potential with their games and hardware, the number of eyebrow raising decisions from the headquarters in Japan leaves me a bit hesitant to want to invest in Nintendo's future endeavors, even though I probably will because I have a tendency to gravitate towards their stuff anyway. Sunken cost analogy, yep. The stock on things like Amiibo, New Nintendo 3DS console, and the ever elusive Gamecube Adapter are not good. They're not entirely bad either, as they have a fantastic service related industry and some very stellar customer service stuff that they do, but a lot of the issues I have that I report to customer service shouldn't even be needed to be done over the phone in this day and age. I'm not a huge fan of the limited edition vice grip that they're pulling, and I'm certainly not a fan of the idea that something that should be easily accessible, like Amiibo, get sold out instantly. So yes, lend me your thoughts and let me know what you guys think. Are you a fan of the new "direction" that Nintendo seems to be taking?​

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll put in a word about that at the end, but there's a lot of other things I could ramble about without making this a thesis statement. :(

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a child of the 00's who had to say I have a deep love for Nintendo yet a resistance.

When I got my GameCube I loved it to death for its games although I wanted things it didn't have like kingdom hearts,ratchet and clank, and what not yet it didn't really bug me

During the Wii era I matured and the Wii had a few good games I'd play alot however I matured to where the ps3s offerings were attractive and I got a ps3 in addition an love it.

Now I'm older and I love the wiiu and it has so many games I love (more than the Wii ) as the ps4 didn't have much I was into at first but seeing lbp3, kh3,and the assians creed games are making me want a ps4 or I may even go the pc route.

Ultimatly I love Nintendo and thier current games are still high quality but I'm getting to the point where I have certain wants the wiiu can't fulfill (and the ps4 can't fulfill my needs Nintendo fills). So that is how I feel but in buissness Nintendo is blowing which upsets me and I want them to turn around so I will have them for my kids.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Considering the fact that at times these stocks of the item were listed at obscene times like 3AM in Pacific Time, that's a bit much....

Not to bust your bubble but it was first open to preorder right after the Nintendo Direct that ended up 11 AM EST then Best Buy opened Preorders that night at 6:25 PM. Frys opened preorders at 2:45 PM.... So no matter what time you work you had a chance to get it. I actually was able to grab two of them.... and I work two jobs lol

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the fact that at times these stocks of the item were listed at obscene times like 3AM in Pacific Time, that's a bit much....

Not to bust your bubble but it was first open to preorder right after the Nintendo Direct that ended up 11 AM EST then Best Buy opened Preorders that night at 6:25 PM. Frys opened preorders at 2:45 PM.... So no matter what time you work you had a chance to get it. I actually was able to grab two of them.... and I work two jobs lol

Oh, I was referring to some of those restocking sessions as well. Them 6AM alerts to get up and start spamming were definitely not fun... :(

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about the decision to not sell the N3DS LL in America, but all the limited edition shenanigans does have me a bit peeved. It's not even real scarcity, just artificially created by them. And yeah, Nintendo is way behind the curve in the power behind their consoles, but that's always been the case. More irksome is the fact that yeah, they are also way behind in online services. Which again, has always been the case for Nintendo, but it glares more as a flaw for them as time moves on and more mobile devices than ever outclass their efforts.

You certainly hit the nail on the head with Nintendo being a kid-friendly ecosystem, but only when it protects them from having to answer tough questions about their business and marketing decisions. Ask any of these questions to them directly and you'll get a thinly veiled-over version of, "well, these systems and games aren't really meant for you*, anyway." I can't say it isn't a smart facade, being that children require no accountability.

*You referring to any person who actually does a little research about what they're buying and its uses/value.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Amiibos. Who cares? They're not important. They're just collectibles with very limited use in the actual games, nothing worth getting upset about. If collectors are willing to pay a lot of money for them, then let them.

You admit that the shortages have to do with the strike, which is not really something Nintendo could have done much about. I don't see the problem here.

The only things in your post I actually agree with is their online infrastructure being subpar, and the fact that they didn't release the n3DS in US. However I strongly agree on those points.

As proven by the introduction of NNIDs they are actually doing something to improve their online system. It just isn't enough. It's too late to do anything to fix the 3DS online infrastructure at this point, but I really hope their next console will get it right. What they could have done on the 3DS is use NNIDs for registering friends instead of friend codes. It wouldn't even need games to be updated to support it, it'd simply mask the friend code behind the NNID. I had hoped they would do this originally when they added NNID support on the 3DS, to make it work like it does on the Wii U, but sadly that didn't happen.

I am sure they will listen to their customers and release the n3DS in US, if not for the customers then at least for monetary gain. It's clear to everyone except Nintendo that it's a mistake; maybe they had other reasons they haven't mentioned, but I'm sure in time they will realise the mistake too, angry consumers are bound to make that happen.

Reactions: Kippykip

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who loves Nintendo. Nintendo of America is out of touch with the consumers.

Majora's Mask 3D New XL, tried adding it to the cart. Nope, was sold out. MM3D New XL isn't worth getting.

New 3DS (Smaller model), It's slightly smaller than the XL. Which is something I can hold better. Friend told me to wait, which I did and I regret. Plus I would be able to carry the smaller model with me than a XL.

Gamecube Adapter, I shot myself in the foot of not pre-ordering. I thought to myself "Oh, I'll get it on release day". lolnope. I just happened to get mine at Best Buy the one day. But I seen people walking out with 5 or 6 of them.

Gold Mario Amiibo, wasn't gonna bother with it as it would be sold out within seconds due to scalpers.

Something not mentioned: DKC Trilogy. Why was it removed on the Wii Shop. No one knows. Now that they are on the WiiU VC. I don't know. I always found the wii emulation of snes better than the wiiu vc snes emulation.

Most important, unified account system.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ITT Ryu finally grows up and realizes Nin10doh is actually bad ;O;O;O;

*Sees post, goes back to playing Wii U* ;O; :creep:
Though I agree that Nintendo of America doesn't know its own ass from a hole in the ground. They can't handle releases worth shite. As much as I like Nintendo games, as a company, at least in NA, they've been doing a piss poor job marketing the Wii U.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamecube Adapter, I shot myself in the foot of not pre-ordering. I thought to myself "Oh, I'll get it on release day". lolnope. I just happened to get mine at Best Buy the one day. But I seen people walking out with 5 or 6 of them.

You can't even complain about this one anymore though. :)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nothing of importance to add just yet except for the fact that Amiibo CAN be imported. I've used my German Lucario on my NA Sm4sh/WiiU
But it costs more than it should or it's missing the packaging, there's always something to nitpick about unless you just want the figure to use on the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16