Nintendo wins UK high court case to block piracy

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UK internet providers must block access to websites which enable Switch game piracy, Nintendo has successfully argued in court.

The injunction requires five major UK ISPs - Sky, BT, EE, Talktalk and Virgin Media - to "block, or at least impede access" to four websites which help distribute pirated Switch games, modified hardware, or provide information on how to mod consoles for piracy reasons.

Nintendo has already taken steps to close the loophole used to install custom firmware, though in its claim said it was aware of ongoing attempts to hack the console's current system software.

The UK high court upheld Nintendo's claims that the listed websites had infringed on Nintendo trademarks, specifically targeted consumers in the UK and that there was no legal defence for modification of Switch hardware to enable piracy.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-uk-high-court-case-to-block-piracy-websites

Reactions: alivebacon

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well thank god for vpn for you guys

also
and that there was no legal defence for modification of Switch hardware to enable piracy.
excuse me then never heard of homebrew nintendo?

or right you hate free games unless you pay for a dev license ya greasy ass lawyers sicken me

Last edited by chrisrlink,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats how china does it besides Brexit remember this won't affect the EU as a whole you could jump onto a russian vpn with ease russa doesn't give a shit bout piracy or so i heard

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Vpn, Private Torrents, Private google stashes, SSL encrypted usenet are some methods. Never used sites for years.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

VPN won't help anything if you can't access the site you want to.

Of course they do. VPN's spoof the IP/location to a different country that you live in. There are plenty of banned sites not accessible in the UK using default ISP IP addresses but work with a VPN.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking this meant the sites wouldn't exist anymore that's why I said a VPN wouldn't help, but I guess the sites could use VPNs is what you guys are saying.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is gbatemp UK hosted? Because it could be effected too under "or provide information on how to mod consoles for piracy reasons."

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
To be clear, they haven't targeted any specific pirate site.

They targeted Team Xecuters main site, their SX portal and two sites that are assumed to be fronts for their product.

(Granted, these still share content that cannot be legally shared so they technically fit the definition of a pirate site, but it's not a site that gives you free games.)

Reactions: tech3475

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be clear, they haven't targeted any specific pirate site.

They targeted Team Xecuters main site, their SX portal and two sites that are assumed to be fronts for their product.

(Granted, these still share content that cannot be legally shared so they technically fit the definition of a pirate site, but it's not a site that gives you free games.)

Source?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol