Nintendo wins legal case over ROM site, site owner ordered to pay $12 million in damages

nintendo logo.png

Earlier this summer, Nintendo filed a lawsuit against Jacob Mathias, otherwise known as the owner of LoveROMS and LoveRETRO, sites that notoriously hosted ROM files of retro Nintendo games. Immediately following the legal suit, both of the aforementioned domains were shut down to prevent further issue. Nintendo's legal action also had effects on other websites that had illegal content hosted on their servers, such as Emuparadise, which removed all download links shortly after the lawsuit was made public. Mathias and his wife, who were both charged on mass copyright infringement, plead guilty to the actions of trademark infringement and damages to Nintendo. They then entered settlement talks in order to find an agreeable amount of money to pay as reparations. Today, the final judgement for the case came in, showing that both Jacob Mathias and Nintendo had agreed for the former to pay $12,230,000 to the latter, over 12 million dollars.

yettobesignedorder.png

All copyrighted material owned by the couple must also be forfeited, and ownership of LoveROMs.com and LoveRETRO.co has been signed over to Nintendo of Japan.

:arrow: Source

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
How did they even come up with the 12 million? I mean, put together all of the AVAILABLE titles by Nintendo currently on WiiU/3DS/Switch and I HIGHLY doubt the sales are anywhere close to that. You can't sue for damages when you aren't even losing money from it, at least you shouldn't be able to... Either sell the darn games yourself already properly instead of only selling like 100 of the THOUSANDS you got or let people be!

And what do they even gain by ruining someone's life by getting them so deep in debt even their grandchildren won't be able to pay it off? They think they are gonna "scare" the million other ROM sites somehow?

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This news may lead to more rom sites closing down and making it harder for end user to find retro games. I believe its the boom of mini consoles & retro gaming that has lead to this. Like emuparadise was online for over 12 years before suddenly shutting down. But still these roms are nintendos or contents owners ip and they have all the rite in the eyes of the law.

Reactions: Bill_bill

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This news may lead to more rom sites closing down and making it harder for end user to find retro games. I believe its the boom of mini consoles & retro gaming that has lead to this. Like emuparadise was online for over 12 years before suddenly shutting down. But still these roms are nintendos or contents owners ip and they have all the rite in the eyes of the law.
Torrents

Reactions: Nightwish and Ty_

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Torrents die if not seeded for a long time. NZB is the way to go no matter how old the file is you can always grab it depending of your retention. On the subject of buying older games. They are now classed as antiques and prices have gone up. how can average gamer play these older games when they are no longer made, expensive in physical form. Did the judge think about that. Take little samson on nes or snatcher on sega cd they are expensive in physical form.

Last edited by proffk,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is Nintendo protecting their properties?!?1?!
Unforgivable!!!

It's not so much that as it is their stupid-ass refusal to put more games on a digital storefront, locking games or simply never allowing people to buy them. No wonder people pirate. I can't
stand it when people act like Nintendo is a victim, when they have lost very little, if any revenue from old games being pirated.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think with a debt like that, don't even effing bother.
Unless you're a super ultra billionare, there's no way you'll ever be able to pay it.
Sooo... *shrug*
Fuck ya Nintendo, I hope ya go under soon

Reactions: Subtle Demise

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Why can't Ninty just do what Sony did with PSx games on PSP? Basically have almost every single game available for you to just buy! The 3DS for example already has the software to run VC games regardless of what they are (proven by how you can literally inject any game you want into it), so why couldn't they just offer it on the eshop normally instead of HEAVILY limiting what games one can get? And if they did this along with simply making the pricing decent instead of 5€ for a 30 year old game, they'd actually make a TON more money compared to just going after ROM sites...

omegasoul6

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not so much that as it is their stupid-ass refusal to put more games on a digital storefront, locking games or simply never allowing people to buy them. No wonder people pirate. I can't
stand it when people act like Nintendo is a victim, when they have lost very little, if any revenue from old games being pirated.

I get that and all, Nintendo definitely needs to figure out a better way of distributing their retro games. But regardless it's still not Jacob Mathias & LoveROMS/LoveRETRO's property to distribute, he should've known Nintendo would've came after him from the very beginning.
A company has an obligation to protect their copyrighted/trademarked content, it sucks for the guy, but I can't be bothered to feel bad for him when he should've already known the consequences.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that and all, Nintendo definitely needs to figure out a better way of distributing their retro games. But regardless it's still not Jacob Mathias & LoveROMS/LoveRETRO's property to distribute, he should've known Nintendo would've came after him from the very beginning.
A company has an obligation to protect their copyrighted/trademarked content, it sucks for the guy, but I can't be bothered to feel bad for him when he should've already known the consequences.

And how the actual hell do they expect him to pay the lawsuit? No one has twelve million dollars, and ruining someone's life financially over old games Nintendo won't distribute isn't going to fix a damn thing. I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad for Nintendo at all.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
"Being on Ninty side."
I can't take you seriously then.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Reactions: Ty_ and omegasoul6

omegasoul6

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And how the actual hell do they expect him to pay the lawsuit? No one has twelve million dollars, and ruining someone's life financially over old games Nintendo won't distribute isn't going to fix a damn thing. I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad for Nintendo at all.

Again, he should've thought about that before he distributed another company's property, it's common sense.
I don't feel bad for either party to be honest.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I think the Switch will be the last console I buy from them. Nintendo you lost a customer. Thanks for not playing your games in the future.
Becareful my friend, they may put a case on you for not buying their shit and damage their business.
People get sued for anything those days.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, he should've thought about that before he distributed another company's property, it's common sense.
I don't feel bad for either party to be honest.

Even so, he could have at least used a fake ID or gave more anonymity using a VPN, proxy, etc, if he's gonna do it at all. ROMs could be argued as a means of preserving games otherwise unavailable.

They can take that 12 million and stuff it up where the sun don't shine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended