Nintendo wins legal case over ROM site, site owner ordered to pay $12 million in damages

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    I hope he doesn't have kids cause Christmas is officially dead

CallmeBerto and brickmii82 like this.
  2. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    damn no wonder nobody's dumping let's go (well i shouldn't say that 100%) whats next ban on vpn's and cryptography in the USA if thatt comes to be I'm rallying a war against my own country this shit will not stand with me ANY LONGER

3. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    Ask to chapo guzman, lord of cartels from mexico city baby!! He made billions, and his last name is not gates!!

4. Gunz4Hire

Gunz4Hire Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    makes me not feel bad that i literally only pirate nintendo games

Kippykip likes this.
  5. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    don't feel bad they asking for it. so is EA and Activision

6. Jackson Ferrell

Jackson Ferrell Naked Banana

GBAtemp Patron
    Jackson Ferrell is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 28, 2015
    Australia
    You guys really don't get the point. He made money off of those ROMs, and it's Nintendo's Intellectual Property, they can charge what they like. You being angry at Nintendo has no justification. That's exactly what you get when you get caught pirating stuff. Don't expect it to be a walk in the park. And on top of that, both parties settled on that amount, meaning there's a reason for that being charged enough. Don't be so shallow and go off immediately without looking at everything.

7. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    Wow. The ignorance is strong in this thread. Where could Ninty claim such an amount? Where can you buy those games? Let's just take 5 seconds to google 1 headline...

"The NES Classic is so popular it outsold the PS4, Xbox One, and Switch in June"

Each and every one of you idiots crying on this thread know it's illegal. The site owner knew it was illegal. Probably had the same "It won't happen to me" attitude that each and every one of you has. But go you... be a rebel...

Last edited by urherenow, Nov 13, 2018
  8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Wow, the NES classic, huh? That has, what 30 games, out of about 670 ever released in NA alone? What a selection! Sorry, but collecting and paying inflated prices to collect games is just BS, would be better to get more first party games legally through the eShop, but oh no, Nintendo had to be pantywaists about that too. There's so much potential, they could make so much money from this, but again, they're gonna just sit on asses doing nothing but trickle three games per month. Whoop dee doo.

30 games out of 670 is only about 4% out of the entire library. Please.

invaderyoyo, DarthDub and Raylight like this.
  9. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    And this is why I pirate most of my Nintendo games :evil:

10. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    no one is necessarily being ignorant here and while yes it was illegal it does make one question the hardship of what that family has to pay if that rev they got was miniscule to what they gonna pay to Ninty even if it is their own fault. Also not having a way to legally buy these old games from the actual devs to support them is an argument of its own

Last edited by Raylight, Nov 13, 2018
  11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    tbh this guy had that kinda money I doubt he would still be running a rom site, nintendo and this guy know they are never going to get anywhere near 12 million, they will just drain any savings and properties he might happen to have and he will file bankruptcy and start over, which sure will still be absolutely devistating to the site owner but hopefully they can move on with their life and not be too badly hurt in the process

these huge settlements are just for the press to buzz around because the reality of "guy looses his $7000 in savings" doesn't exactly draw in the crowds, nintendo probably spent 10 times that on lawyers and litigation

Last edited by gamesquest1, Nov 13, 2018
    Raylight likes this.
  12. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    well fuck. But if he gonna oper crowdfund to save his ass, I'll back him up

13. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot A Nintendo DSi-madman (and yet he doesn’t code)

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Nintendo just owns everything they see now.

14. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    Piracy websites don't give a fuck about game preservation and surely they don't care about you either. It's maximum profit with minimum effort. Profit for what, anyway? Hosting a bunch of roms? Torrents exist.

Had these sites ever cared about "preservation", they would have an adfree website with a link for donations, or maybe just a tiny shady banner ad. You can make several thousand dollars a month with this kind of websites even if you're the billionth one on the black market. But I advise against it, for the only reason that other piracy website owners will DDoS the shit out of your little website or even try figure out who you are and harm you.

barronwaffles likes this.
  15. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Yeah, I also doubt they are anywhere close to that. They're probably much, much higher

16. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Do you think Nintendo cares about preservation then? They sure as hell don't, just look at how much the NES Online and VC selection suck ass. If they did, they'd actually put forth effort, but they won't. To me, it sounds like it's better for ROM sites to die off than to count on Nintendo doing the same.

17. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    If you care so much about game preservation you can torrent out your romsets. Just remember that's illegal.

18. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    damn.. screw nintendo.
    i loved emuparadise :C

19. ieatpixels

ieatpixels GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2008
    Complete bogus.
    Practically ruin the guy's life because he allowed some 10 year olds to play unobtainable games from 20 years ago on their computer.
    It's not like Nintendo would be 12 million dollars richer if it weren't for the site.

When this happens it makes me want to refrain from purchasing any Classic Mini consoles, Virtual Console titles, or retro compilation games because it's these re-releases that are causing these take downs to happen.

cvskid likes this.
  20. Frankbel

Frankbel GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2004
    Italy
    Messina
    I used to be a Nintendo strong supporter, but bs like this in years has made changing my mind. Now I don't care about them too much. They don't even produce the great games as they did in the past. There are a few exceptions, just not enough.