1. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--

Germany
    As often as you fall for such a scheme.

CallmeBerto and AlexMCS like this.
  2. supersonicwaffle

supersonicwaffle GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Not sure why you bring politics into it but let my try to explain how I see the issue because I don't think it's being argued rationally.

Let's assume these points as fact:
    • There's demand for retro games
    • There's demand for an enhanced retro gaming experience
    • Nintendo refuses to accommodate the demand for both retro games and an enhanced experience
    • Nintendo actively fights to make both inaccesible
    • In the past, Nintendo has sold a number of retro games but refused to provide a way to transfer bought retro games to newer platforms
    • On the switch specifically, Nintendo only offers a tiny fraction of retro games
    If you take these things into account it's not too hard to see where people are coming from. Consumers want these things. I'm willing to bet that a large portion would pay money for it. I wouldn't say it's greed because if it was they would offer what people want themselves. But it shouldn't surprise anyone that their actions are viewed negatively.

Last edited by supersonicwaffle, Nov 13, 2018
  3. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

United States
    Man, imagine if Sony and Microsoft did what Nintendo does.

4. CrashMidnick

CrashMidnick GBAtemp Regular

France
    That is why I prefer my Xbox for such things... we are not considered as a milking cow.

5. supersonicwaffle

Germany
    You mean the platform that initially wanted you to not be able to sell used games is not considering you as a cow to milk?

Seriously, stop behaving like a brainwashed person. EVERY business' goal is to make money, to some degree you will be considered a cow to every single one of them! Microsoft has already tested their boundaries and failed but they will try again for sure.

CallmeBerto and Memoir like this.
  6. CrashMidnick

CrashMidnick GBAtemp Regular

France
    No, I only mean that I can play my original xbox titles on new hardware, without buying them Again and again.

The second part of your comment is a non sense here. And do not be rude.

7. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--

Germany
    I think he was refering to the fact that the xbox one is backwards compatible with xbox 360 and OG Xbox titles.

But I guess they only did that to incentivize sales of the Xbox one because it pretty much got annihilated by the PS4. It's the only way XBox hardware sells at this point.

8. murdersbane

murdersbane Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Lotta people in here need their diapers changed...

Like seriously your throwing a pissy little fit over a company protecting it's assets.... You guys are trash omfg xD

CallmeBerto and VitaType like this.
  9. supersonicwaffle

Germany
    And you were able to play GB on GBC, GB and GBC on GBA, GBA on NDS, GCN on Wii, Wii on Wii U.
    Backwards compatibility is very different from providing commercial emulators and usually only covers very recent generations due to its similarity to current gen hardware. Nintendo has provided backwards compatibility where applicable, going from PowerPC to ARM architecture makes it kinda impossible for the switch though which is why they're porting games instead of providing backwards compatibility.

I wasn't trying to be rude but it's a valuable life lesson. Businesses are there to make money, their strategy may or may not involve customer satisfaction. Microsoft has shown that it's willing to compromise customer satisfaction in order to make more money.

Last edited by supersonicwaffle, Nov 13, 2018
  10. murdersbane

murdersbane Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Edit ~ can't find delete button plz remove

Last edited by murdersbane, Nov 13, 2018
  11. NoNAND

NoNAND Give me back my legions!

Albania
    Ow the edge

12. Taffy

Taffy jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr

United States
    "We are the Nintendo Legal Team! No fun allowed."

Booo! Hiss!

13. WonderBoom

WonderBoom Member
    Newcomer

Turkey
    And charge $100 per title for 1mb ancient games :))

wiewiec likes this.
  14. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    If they write their own emulator then it's unlikely they'll be able to make one that works with all games for that price, free emulators are heavily subsidised by peoples day jobs.

Similar arguments are made about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_(album) & movies like Star Wars.

From your point of view you may have an old VHS copy of Star Wars so it'll be fine to download the 4k version of it. From Disneys point of view, it's not fine. The law has to tread a fine line between the two points of view. What tends to happen is if you download it, then you are generally ok. If you sell it then you're not.

Last edited by smf, Nov 13, 2018
  15. Jackson Ferrell

Jackson Ferrell I don't like SJWs

Australia
    Hey @Chary could you put something on the OG post to clarify that there are different reasons for this and it's not all what it seems? A lot of people aren't understanding and going ballistic for no reason.

16. Maz7006

Maz7006 iSEXu

Nintendo has a track record of being harsh with this stuff. We had a GBAtemp member get it quite bad back in the day over a Mario Wii game that was leaked - just a random guy not a website and that was legal action enough for them.

I wouldn't say I'm surprised by this outcome but at the same time, I don't know how I feel about the harshness in this case. It's easy to claim no harm was done but to some corporate level, there must have been. Whether or not this 12 million number is even reasonable is the reasonable question to ask here - seems like something that can be appealed but damn, Nintendo wanting all that money; I guess :glare:.

17. El_Vallo

El_Vallo Newbie
    Newcomer

Brazil
    This just shows the future of sites which share nintendo roms.

Torrents are the future. The future is now.

18. |<roni&g

|<roni&g GBAtemp Fan

United States
    As many have said, Fuck Nintendo.

-porting old ass games to the switch like they’re new
    -charging for online play on their inferior system with a small library of multiplayer games (many only care for mario kart)
    -now this, fuck Nintendo, I hope they go out of business and mario games can be released on Xbox, mario is about the only thing we’d lose with Nintendo going bust

wiewiec likes this.
  19. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
    Now the fuck everyone for sure buy online for playing their NES shit....

20. supersonicwaffle

Germany
    It's a good argument, although personally I believe there's a big difference
    • Some were not only rereleases but remasters
    • The rereleases (i.e. same content on same medium) did add stuff that's interesting to collectors like artwork or bonus content (unreleased songs or commentary)
    • There's something to be said for the technical aspects of rereleasing on a different medium (VHS, Laserdisc, DVD)
    Virtual Console games are literally copy and paste except for the emulator which you port / develope once for an entire catalog AND are distributed digitally.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo, ordered, million