Nintendo wins in UK High Court case demanding that certain Switch piracy related sites be blocked

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 10, 2019.

1. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    As much as it sucks that fangames get taken down, It's important for companies like Nintendo to defend their IPs aggressively.

Otherwise thousands of clones of their content would pop up on the market.

Last edited by 8BitWonder, Sep 10, 2019
    MythicalData likes this.
  2. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I guess that's something...?

I'm sure people will use VPNs but it'll probably stop people who have no idea what they're doing.

Silent_Gunner and KlariNoX like this.
  3. Ferris1000

Ferris1000 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 10, 2017
    Germany
    If my provider starts to block any websites, i gonna cancel my contract immediately and stop paying them...I thought we are living in a free world...

DarthDub and IncredulousP like this.
  4. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    This is stupid, they're fighting against the wrong sites. Those sites may be selling a solution that enables piracy, but they're not distributing pirated code (well, besides that of Atmosphere).

And normally I'm one of those people that hates SX OS, but this is ridiculous. If Nintendo wants to go after somebody it should be after that dark umbrella site, or the hbg shop, but not Team Xecuter.

IncredulousP, DSSP and SpiffyJUNIOR like this.
  5. Worldblender

Worldblender Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2019
    United States
    Thankfully, this court order only affects SX OS, but I wonder if the same will happen to Atmosphere and all other open-source CFW. If that's the case, it will just be legally impossible for those in the UK to download any kind of Switch CFW. I live in the United States and not the United Kingdom, so I have less to worry about.

6. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Well, Team Xecuter are an easy target. They have obfuscated keys in their CFW (which is illegal), their XCI solution is also illegal and copyrighted by Nintendo, etc.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Don't worry, Atmosphere doesn't distribute copyrighted code and isn't a paid product. It won't be effected by this.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Before someone inevitably comes and says "YoU'rE BiAsEd". No I am not biased this is the truth and it is why they have been hit by the court ruling.

7. Worldblender

Worldblender Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2019
    United States
    I knew I made a good investment by sticking with open-source CFW. By being smart and not including non-free copyrighted code, that's where they shine. This is one of many cases where FOSS options reign supreme to the proprietary ones! :D

wicksand420 likes this.
  8. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Don't be so sure of that. Atmosphere is hosted on GitHub, obviously Nintendo isn't going to have much luck going against a site that's primary function is distributing open source code and enabling developers to cooperate. BUT, they did manage to get freeShop kicked off of GitHub, getting projects like Tinfoil, Atmosphere, and ReiNX shut down is definitely within the realm of possibility. But I highly doubt it will happen, Nintendo's time would be better served going after actual piracy sites.

Silent_Gunner and THYPLEX like this.
  9. DAZA

DAZA Shaun's Mum

Nov 5, 2002
    they are doing a lot to protect their company.. which is understandable considering if the switch flopped then nintendo would have been no more hardware wise.. or vanished

2 sides to the coin, depends on your outlook as to which story you read from the coin flip.. which are you?!

Heads: yay nintendo keep their IP longer to make more pokemon games lol

or

Tails: the old sailing ship of firmware warez keeps sailing enough to watch to good ship nintendo sink

10. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    fuck you Boris Johnson for blocking such websites. you made me cry.. :cry: *sips his tea* :cry:

THYPLEX likes this.
  11. Insane

Insane GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2018
    Germany
    I just wonder if the 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 will solve the block for someone

12. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    besides if they go after FOS cfw well they'll have hacktivist groups up their ass the day they do this i hope their network security is as strong as the AP mesures in the switch thats for sure

Last edited by chrisrlink, Sep 10, 2019
  13. morvoran

morvoran Trump supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    United States
    Drinking leftist tears...Yummy!
    Well, good thing VPN's exist. This can be easily bypassed.

What I'm worried about is that this will start with piracy websites and may eventually lead to gaming related websites that only discuss piracy topics being blocked. Hmm, do we know any sites that fit that description?

People may say this is a good thing (especially if they hate team-xecuter), but is this where it ends or just the beginning of a horrible trend of silencing innocent sites?

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  14. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Ha! "Homebrew"... You're not fooling anyone. It never ceases to amaze me that pirates pretend to have some form of moral high ground. I don't necessarily agree with the outcome, but the entitlement is ridiculous.

Last edited by Memoir, Sep 10, 2019
    nccom, Essasetic and KlariNoX like this.
  15. Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Ofc scumbags most dangle their penis over other people. ALL FORMS OF GOVERNMENT = EVIL

16. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You know, I'm not mad at all about this. If you advertise your device as enabling piracy of all the latest and greatest games, you're inevitably going to make a lot of people mad. I'm sure the investors and publishers were no happier about this than Nintendo, and that they were a big push for Nintendo taking action.

There is a good reason that even piracy-enabling tools in the homebrew scene are rarely outright stated as such, even when the people behind them are not against piracy, and in some cases are for it. It attracts unwanted attention. Those that do promote piracy enabling tools tend to do so with a bit more secrecy. And those that publicly promote piracy enabling tools inevitably end up like this, or worse. Xecuter got what was coming to them, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Imagine if the scene groups all hosted their own releases on their own websites, had banners everywhere promoting their website for downloading free games and applications, and bought ads promoting their website. There would be an extensive background check done on their hosting service, they wouldn't last long and most likely would end up with a huge fine and some jail time, like has happened multiple times in the past with piracy related websites.
    Of course hosting pirated content and advertising a way to play them isn't the same thing, but to the companies making the software, they are both equally bad.

Xecuter need to advertise their product somehow, but if you've seen the ads for DS flashcarts, I don't think any of them outright stated "play all the latest and greatest games for free", they were a bit more vague about it. People still found out about them and bought them in droves, so being this blatant isn't necessary to sell a product.

MagnesG, THYPLEX and Memoir like this.
  17. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Nintendo, good job but it isnt going to resolve your problem, silly.

THYPLEX likes this.
  18. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Due to a false or at least extremely questionable claim (that the binary [because you can't report just the releases, only the entire repo] contained a trademark violation due to the "Nintendo 3DS" boot animation, yet they never once complained against Project_CTR's makerom which is the tool which contains said animation and inserts it on demand), and of course the project just moved on less prudish (ie non-American) hosting :)

Yeah, and they have taken advantage (albeit under external pressure) of their technical freedom of providing you with a service they configure, not you - too bad there are no practical alternatives to accessing "the main internet", huh?

19. rg

rg GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    70% of people? Where did you get this figure from? Probably no more then 20% even understands the concept

20. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Except, what grounds would Nintendo have on shutting down Atmosphere? They certainly would have SOME ground shutting down Reinx due to the bundling of FS and ES patches. But if they were going to do it. It would've been done by now.