1. 12,194

Front-page
    romuniverse-1200x675.jpg

Two years ago, Nintendo began a court battle against the warez-hosting website RomUniverse, suing its owner, Mathew Storman for damages. Storman defended himself on his own, without a lawyer, and attempted to dismiss the charges by claiming that he himself did not upload any ROMs to RomUniverse, therefore he was innocent. Now the verdict is in, with both Nintendo's lawyers and the presiding judge disagreeing, finding that Storman was responsible for the distribution of the illegal and infringing games on his site. Nintendo sought $15 million dollars in damages and legal fees, however, the US District Court Judge found this to be too harsh, instead fining Storman $35,000 per illegal ROM hosted on RomUniverse.

This added up to be $1.7 million. On top of that, Storman was hit with a charge of $400,000 in statutory damages, making the total amount a whopping $2.1 million. Nintendo also sought permanent injunction, though the Judge denied this, stating that Nintendo couldn't prove it had been irreparably damaged by the existence of RomUniverse, and that the company was not at risk, given the fact that the site has been permanently taken down.

:arrow: Source: Courtesy of TorrentFreak

Ariff Tsukasa, Henx, XAIXER and 17 others like this.
  2. Discussion (135 replies)

3. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Get rekt pirate scum

Looks like he'll be Storman off to prison

(for real tho what a moron...not even getting a lawyer lmfao)

CoolMe, Patxinco, Mrperson0 and 16 others like this.
  4. DKB

DKB S̵̜͎̺̔̊l̷̠̈́͗̾̏͠e̴̲͇͐e̸̹̬̔p̵̧̙̺̦̾̉.̶͚̇̎̄

United States
    "and attempted to dismiss the charges by claiming that he himself did not upload any ROMs to RomUniverse." idk if people of his..intelligence should be on the streets.

5. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    It's even better, because in his original testimony, he did admit to uploading ROMs...whoops.

6. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Good luck collecting on that Nintendo, dude's probably broke as a joke and gonna declare bankruptcy now.

pustal, DarkFlare69, air2004 and 13 others like this.
  7. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp's Favorite Hat Kid

Brazil
    This is the one Nintendo ROMS related lawsuit that i'd say is justified. This site was charging for unlimited downloads, aka basically selling the roms.

CoolMe, Henx, JadeKitsune and 34 others like this.
  8. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Nintendo is gonna find out what the RIAA found out when suing people into oblivion. They'll just declare bankruptcy.

DarkCoffe64, raging_chaos and Nomi20 like this.
  9. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

United States
    What a fun game of whack-a-mole.

I know of multiple sites that have Nintendo stuff up, wonder when they will get clobbered too.

HarvHouHacker likes this.
  10. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    35k per rom... He only hosted 49 roms?

11. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    Sweet, 3 more romsites are gonna pop up. :D I've had best of luck using that "mania" site. Hope they're not next.

12. MaxToTheMax

MaxToTheMax Officially Ranked 3796th.

United States
  13. CompSciOrBust

CompSciOrBust E tier homebrew dev

United Kingdom
    Legally I guess N is in the right but from a preservationist perspective Nintendo can get fucked. Games are an important part of our culture, they're works of art, and it should be ensured that future generations have some means to play them. It is unrealistic to expect the kids of today, future game developers who should be drawing from the past for inspiration to have the hardware and technical skills to dump a copy of a game that went out of production decades before they were born. Websites like this need to exist for the future of the gaming industry.

Nintendo used a scene dump of Mario Bros for the Wii's virtual console for god sake, even their own developers rely on these resources. But nah fuck em, they're distributing data that's prohibitively expensive to obtain today so sue them in to the ground.

Last edited by CompSciOrBust, Jun 1, 2021
    CoolMe, Henx, GaiusSavarin and 10 others like this.
  14. Crazynoob458

Crazynoob458 That Riolu

Australia
    i lost brain cells reading both comments and the news article
    the storman really has no common sence

Agusto101, smallissue and Ishzark like this.
  15. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    Well I mean... They haven't gone after archive dot org, which hosts rompacks as preservation. But they're also not primarily a "rom site" either.

Last edited by Jayro, Jun 1, 2021
    CompSciOrBust likes this.
  16. CompSciOrBust

United Kingdom
    That's a good point, I'm not sure why. Maybe they think they'd lose if they tried to sue Archive.org. They wouldn't even need to sue though, if they tell them that something they're hosting is illegal they'll happily take it down.

Jayro likes this.
  17. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Cubi: Am cute for Pride

Antarctica
    I wonder how they are expecting to collect on this because I highly doubt that he has this money and that he will even be able to get this money.

Agusto101 and Xzi like this.
  18. CompSciOrBust

United Kingdom
    Knowing someone else who N has sued for a stupid amount of money they'll likely arrange regular payments that have to be made until the total is met (given the amount he'll probably be paying it back for the rest of his life)

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  19. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States
    I wonder if the clock were rolled back, if any of that would be spent on Epstein Island? Or would it go for more safety nets to catch the suicidal workers at their plants in China. Granted, I would be way off base and it's all just going to records, bubble gum, and so called sex change operations for Me-A-Moto.

20. TheXpertXD

TheXpertXD Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Not tryna to justify the site or anything, but what damage did Nintendo really suffer tho? It's not like they're trying to sell the games themselves, from my perspective they lost $35,000 each on games they aren't actually making money on anymore.

21. ihaveawindows

ihaveawindows Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Indonesia
    Oh, the sacrifices I make for the good of this realm...
    -Frederick (FE13)

I don't know about you, but here in Indonesia, there is no governing authority to stop the flow of pirated games and movies but piracy itself is illegal, and by such, on online shopping sites in Indonesia, you can find PS2 discs for Rp. 7000,- (around 0.5¢). That's why Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are reluctant to give development permits to Indonesian game companies such as Agate Studios Inc.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I also agree on this, I mean, you're just posting them, not modifying them or anything...
    I don't get Nintendo...

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - RomUniverse, Nintendo, million