Gaming Nintendo Will Continue to Support 3DS in 2018

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source: http://ign.com/articles/2017/04/28/nintendo-will-continue-to-support-3ds-in-2018

For those who doesn't want to click the site:
Nintendo will continue to announce games for the Nintendo 2DS/New 2DS XL/New 3DS XL line of handheld systems according to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime.

“We will certainly be announcing new titles for the 3DS platform, and we’ll do that continuously,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “Some things that will be announced at E3. There will be some that we announce after E3. For us, E3 is an important event but it’s not the one defining moment,” he said. “Obviously with Nintendo Direct, we’ve created means to speak directly to our consumer base. We want to provide news and information when we believe it’s most relevant.”

Asking for further clarification if this support would extend into 2018, Fils-Aime confirmed that is indeed the case.

IGN also asked Fils-Aime whether Nintendo would continue to add new games to the company’s Nintendo Selects line, a special lineup of games the company sells at a lower cost than new software, as part of the company’s strategy for the recently New 2DS XL included.

“In terms of Nintendo Selects, we think the line is very strong right now,” Fils-Aime said. “We need to evaluate for new potential additions, but we’ve got nothing to announce right now.”

Nintendo currently offers 13 games part of its special Nintendo Selects line on 3DS, including Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon, Animal Crossing Welcome amiibo, and the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D.

Finally, IGN asked Fils-Aime whether Nintendo had any plans to introduce more classic games to its current Virtual Console offerings on 2DS/New 2DS XL/New 3DS XL.

“We know that there is tremendous interest in this overall area. We're blessed with having a tremendous legacy of content that we've launched across our various platforms,” Fils-Aime said. “We've got nothing to announce right now in terms of Virtual Console offerings, whether it's on 3DS or Switch, but we know there's a tremendous amount of interest in this area.”

This was just a copy-pasre thing. I take no credit for this. Thank you.

Last edited by LuxerWap,

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS's life may live longer than the DS, but probably not GameBoy. Nintendo handhelds have always outlived the console counterparts. GBC, GBA, and Virtual Boy are exceptions.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be the best portable but I don't like two screens. One screen is better. Glad that it is continue for now into 6 years. Nintendo usually moved on to the next one after 5 years life span. But not now.. Nice!

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's awesome! It's really good to see the 3DS system having more time of life,since it's one of my favorite handhelds. (and one of the best imo)

Pakhitew-Island

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
It might be the best portable but I don't like two screens. One screen is better. Glad that it is continue for now into 6 years. Nintendo usually moved on to the next one after 5 years life span. But not now.. Nice!
I personally prefer two screens as it means the main screen can have less clutter, and the game can have less menus

Pakhitew-Island

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
My guess is they stop supporting it when they make a new handheld, which will likely be a Switch Mini or a regular Switch with a price drop

Pakhitew-Island

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
As small as the Switch is, I doubt there will be a Mini version of it.
Mini just being a name of course. I mean a Switch that is designed to play Switch games but be cheaper to cost closer to a handheld in price. It'd probably ditch the doc and be fully handheld too

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ironically, they discontinued repairs for the original 3DS model. So much for supporting that!

In all seriousness, it's really nice that they are. They've got Miitopia, Hey! Pikmin, Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga DX (if the rumors are true), and a few others. And I'm sure they've got a few more along the line.

I'd expect to see new Mario game (Galaxy 2 was later in the Wii's cycle) along with a new Pokemon (same thing with Black 2 and White 2) and, while I doubt it'll happen, I'd really like to see a new Mario Kart game reusing MK7's engine.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ironically, they discontinued repairs for the original 3DS model. So much for supporting that!

In all seriousness, it's really nice that they are. They've got Miitopia, Hey! Pikmin, Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga DX (if the rumors are true), and a few others. And I'm sure they've got a few more along the line.

I'd expect to see new Mario game (Galaxy 2 was later in the Wii's cycle) along with a new Pokemon (same thing with Black 2 and White 2) and, while I doubt it'll happen, I'd really like to see a new Mario Kart game reusing MK7's engine.
i could see the next sequel 3rd game on pokemon sun/moon having 2 versions one for 3ds and one for the switch, im this is what will happen.

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I would like to see them do more remakes in 3d. The sega line is decent, but the nes line sucks hard. I mean cmon why didn't they make the original Zelda in 3d of all games lol. Plus imagine SNES or even gameboy color games in 3d.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I lucked out when I was at GS exchanging my broken ps4 for a replacement at opening time 10am. Nintendo Rep was in and since only one employee was on duty he had to talk to him in front of me and my brother. Supposely S&M are the last main pokemon titles for the 3ds and no major first party titles are going to released this year for the 3ds aside from the rabbits and mario title. The switch is getting a main pokemon rpg title in the graphic style of the GC games. But not for for another year. S/M titles are considered internally as midway generation. They were created solely to reboot the anime and to keep fans busy while they wait for the true next main pokemon title. Gyms will be returning. Pokemon Silver, Gold and Crystal will launch for both the switch and new 2/3ds VCs around the same time.

First two paper mario's being remade currently using the color splash engine, but may turn into a whole new title, only about 5% each completed. Mario and Lugui Saga DX is under consideration to be released for both the switch and new 2/3ds. Game is 3D-less and doesn't use the bottom screen. Snes classic isn't currently being worked on. Nes classic bundle possibly being released for the switch for 49.95 as digital retail only. would Contain the same classics as the new classic mini. Limited time deal only and would be discontinued after a few months. Then each title would be sold separately for TBD price. Redeemable code for the bundle sold exclusively through gamestop, if they decided to make the bundle pack. Game code named, the Winds of Change being developed for the switch using unreal 4. Fire Emblem Warriors to have HHLs dlc. Adds Link, female Link, Zelda and the other characters created exclusively for HHL to the games main mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hope you've had a good morning.