Nintendo will be launching a new version of the original Switch model, with improved battery life

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 17, 2019.

1. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    But that is the Switch Lite and not the revised regular Switch. Which, the Switch Lite does not have much of a battery life improvement at all and the little improvement there is is likely just due to a smaller screen.

I agree with them though. Using a slightly more efficient SoC is not likely to increase battery life that much. Maybe Nintendo have switched over to using an OLED screen for better efficiency. An OLED screen would be much nicer to look at as well, though the IPS screen is also nice. I doubt it, but it sure would be nice.

I can't see them increasing the size of the battery by a whole lot in the normal Switch. There's not much room in there as it is. They could definitely cram the components on the board tighter together (just look at how crammed the components inside tablets and smartphones are, it's insane) and with a more efficient CPU they might not need that big aluminum shield and that might give them enough room to cram 20-30% more battery in there. Still doesn't quite account for that huge bump in battery life though. But that combined with an OLED screen would explain it.

2. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I'm not sure you actually looked at that page at all... It includes the old and new models of the regular Switch. Listed at 4310mAh. The battery on the Switch Lite is listed at 3570mAh.

3. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Purple is so vibrant. Almost too bright. :o

4. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    nin.
    I'm not seeing that at all. It does list the battery life for both models, but that's the only mention of the new model on there. All the rest of the page is for the old model.

5. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    They break out and separately list the old (HAC-001) and new (HAC-001(-01)) models in all of the fields where they differ. Which is runtime. All of the rest of the fields are shared by both. Including battery.

As such, you can be forgiven for not noticing the page included specs for the new model.

Last edited by PityOnU, Jul 19, 2019
  6. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That's just an assumption. The way I see it that's just the only piece of the specifications they're willing to reveal at this time. There are obviously other differences, or the battery life wouldn't be improved.

7. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    And either way, Nintendo's not calling it the Switch Pro, so that's not what it is.

You can call it what you like

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It has a bigger battery capacity, I don't see what the big deal is for them doing a refresh. Then again, I always keep the Switch docked, so *shrug*.

9. Torina

Torina GBAtemp Regular

Aug 26, 2018
    France
    Looool...The battery improvement deal, sure, sounds good.

What I see here is RCM fixing, nothing else of importance.:unsure:

I love your avatar :)

10. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's got to be more than that. No way they could fit an 80% bigger battery in there.
    Better battery life is a pretty big deal considering how shit it is currently. And I expect them to fix some of the known issues like the JoyCon connectivity if they are making a refresh anyway. If only it was hackable...

11. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    No, the opposite is not true, it would be if the nm reduction was more drastic but not 4nm. We're talking power draw/heat here.

Interested to see teardowns this month to see if this is actually the case, if it is, something else in addition to Mariko is accounting for this almost doubled battery life. More power efficient RAM?

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Lower heat means less fan spin up. As far as RAM is concerned, they may have doubled the capacity per chip to lower the power draw. There's really not much they can cut down, and the difference is quite sizeable. As for your previous comment, take note that on the PS4 side a shrink from 28nm in the OG to 16nm in the Slim lowered the power consumption from +/- 130-140W to 80-90W peak. Admittedly a much larger shrink, but you have to consider the fact that the PS4 has lots of mechanical parts like the disc drive and the conventional HDD which could not be taken out of the equation. Not saying that you're wrong, just that we won't be sure what changes were made until we see them. The RAM theory is very plausible, now that you mention it.

THYPLEX likes this.
  13. THYPLEX

THYPLEX GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 20, 2017
    Italy
    Rome
    It doesn't look so conveniant

14. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i mean zelda got an 83% batery life improvement so something is very diferent imo, any chance they switched the screen to be lower power comsuption too? i mean they had to do alot of changes the nm, the ram and maybe some other stuff too.

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's possible, but hard when it comes to LCD's, they're already very power efficient. My guess is that the screen is the same, but we'll see.

16. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Not really, the Switch has a fairly flat curve from my experiences with the device, with the exception of the likes of BoTW and Splatoon 2, and maybe some of the Bethesda games which I haven't had a chance to try on the device.

Foxi4 likes this.
  17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Good point, Nintendo started off with a low TDP SoC that they additionally underclocked. That makes me wonder what *is* different about it, it'll be an interesting release for sure. I'm beginning to think that perhaps their estimation of battery life may be too optimistic.

18. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Also this, I hadn't even considered that. The chip is considerably downclocked. Very strange. Guess we'll have more answers by September.

19. Teletron1

Teletron1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    is it true that the revision will also now support Bluetooth headsets natively?

20. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    This is entirely a software issue and has nothing to do with a hardware revision. If the new revision supports it, then old revisions will support it as well, unless Nintendo does something stupid with regards to licensing.