Nintendo will be launching a new version of the original Switch model, with improved battery life

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    nintendo is releasing this for one reason only : to stop hax and the so called better battery is the lure :P

Xzi likes this.
  2. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    The only revision we need is the drift on the joy cons!

3. JoanMunn

JoanMunn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    UK
    So cool :)

4. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Maybe it is for you but not for me. I hardly play more than 3 hours. I usually stopped at least 2 hours for Switch. So I can play again in few hours later or next day and I never used it for outside at all. Inside the house only. So I am fine. Don't care about this one. I am waiting for Pro next year if they ever release it because of PS5 and newer XBOX competitive.

5. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    The purple orange is okay, the blue and neon green/yellow looks disgusting.

6. pohaxsf

pohaxsf GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2019
    Greece
    agree

7. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    In portable mode, battery life was always going to be a problem.

It's not a new hardware bump, but the improved battery is a step in the right direction. Still hoping a new hack (or three) gets found.

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    don't count on it that's why they are releasing this. all previous exploits including SX will be patched. it has absolutely nothing to do with a BETTER battery that's the bait :P

9. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    "Bait"... Or maybe there's more consumers out there that use their hardware for its intended purpose than those like you? I know, hard to imagine.

Dartz150 likes this.
  10. MAXLEMPIRA

MAXLEMPIRA Legends are Made from True Stories...

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    The battery looks like a standard cell with two hot wires (red), two grounds (black) and a sense wire, even if the connector is different it should be easy to adapt, it doesn't look like a "smart" battery on first glance. If it is a "smart" battery though, you could adapt it by swapping the BMS boards, which sounds like some potentially explosive fun for aspiring modders.

View attachment 173353 [/QUOTE]
    well... I hope we can swap some day the batteries to our OSwitch Models

11. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Hardly, when the starting point was 20 bloody nm.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The opposite is true due to the diminishing returns principle, but you're not wrong - we should wait for teardowns before making definitive conclusions.

Memoir likes this.
  13. LapCheong

LapCheong GBAtemp Regular

Mar 6, 2019
    Australia
    Don't know whether is it obvious or not. But this release is meant for new switch owner

banjo2 likes this.
  14. Powerful

Powerful GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2016
    United States
    Seems like an awful long name, a better thing to call it would be a revisioned switch. Either way there’s no limit with the word pro on a console. All it means is an enhanced version of the original. Guess what the new switch is? Bingo. Sure this could be another thing Nintendo wanted to release and they’ll be an even better switch, but either way this is a better version.

15. theasker

theasker GBAtemp Fan

Jun 10, 2009
    United States
    Will we be able to "hack" this new switch? Is it possible to install and use SX OS or Atmosphere?

16. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    We have every reason to believe the new Switch systems will not be exploitable using current methods, so no.

17. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I think something will eventually come out, there was an exploit being saved for a new model that that's the one ktempkin leaked?

18. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Perhaps, but there's nothing in the pipeline, and considering that Nintendo's security is extremely good, it will probably be years (if ever) before the newer Switch systems are hacked. One should operate as though they will never be hacked in order to not be disappointed. Unpatched systems are highly recommended.

The only exploit I'm aware of that was being saved for newer models was Deja Vu. It's currently compatible with 4.1.0 on all systems, and it will probably be made to be compatible with everything up to 7.X. However, newer models likely won't work with Deja Vu.

Kate disclosed fusee gulee (the RCM exploit), which only affects unpatched Switch systems.

Ericthegreat likes this.
  19. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Nintendo's official website literally lists the battery size as being identical for both: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/tech-specs/

4310mAh

Last edited by PityOnU, Jul 19, 2019
  20. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I quite like the Purple/Orange Joycons there.
    Other than that? Meh.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted