Nintendo will be launching a new version of the original Switch model, with improved battery life

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 17, 2019.

1. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I'm not against hardware refreshes. What I'm saying is that I'm really not sure where the "Pro" moniker came from, and why it has stuck around. PS4 Pro, Switch Pro, Macbook Pro... None of these things really target the professional market. Come up with a better naming scheme.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To be fair, the Mac Book Pro does target "prosumers", Apple just sucks at making laptops that aren't ass. As for the consoles, I think they're targeting "hip pro gamers", AKA people who will pay a "promium" for extra FPS or better texture quality and aren't really "pros". I don't have a problem with it, but perhaps "Plus" would be more appropriate since they do the same job as the standard versions "and then some", so it better conveys what you get.

3. KoalaBoy

KoalaBoy GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2017
    Brazil
    Brasília
    damn dude i actually liked the joy cons T.T

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Read my edit ;)

5. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    They are probably just gonna use the 16nm tegra x1. The new designed one will use less power and run cooler. should be good for overclocking.

6. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    How much battery drain is the fan? That could move much slower for a 16nm chip.

7. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    An enhanced version of the original model

8. ChristopherPicharki

ChristopherPicharki Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2019
    Brazil
    Nintendo is always the same...

9. DrkBeam

DrkBeam GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2016
    Spain
    I expect this model could be overclocked at higher speed than the original, but since it's Nintendo we are only going to have an improved battery life, I still have a slimmer of hope because of the new profiles added in handheld mode.

10. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Nah, the rumors include more horsepower, not just longer battery life. This also has no surname, it's just going to be called "Switch." And it if you've got a "Switch Lite," it follows that there will be a "Switch Heavy" in some sense. Or a "New Switch XL" if we're sticking with 3DS naming conventions. It's my hope that we might get a thicker system with thicker, more ergonomic/durable joycons.

Last edited by Xzi, Jul 18, 2019
  11. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    here idk
    same

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Bigger, thicker and heavier? I'm pretty sure that goes against all conventional wisdom in terms of mobile hardware. I like the way you think, but I don't think Nintendo does. :P

13. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    We'll see. I think Nintendo just likes giving customers as many options as possible, that's why we got the 3DS XL in the first place even though it goes against that same conventional wisdom. Now that they've got the portable market all to themselves, it makes even more sense to branch out in order to attract as many buyers as possible. $200 for the smaller "budget" model, $300 for the medium "standard" model, $400 for the large "luxury" model.

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Let me put it this way... The Switch already verges on being too large to be portable. I can't imagine them XL-ising a console that's already pretty XL. I would like a higher-specced one though, and one with a higher resolution screen - 720p is a joke.

Henx and Silent_Gunner like this.
  15. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Not when it comes to adult hands. iPads and other tablets are at least 2-3x the size of Switch, but I still see plenty of people carrying those around with them. Not even mentioning laptops which are way bigger than most human laps.

Well, it doesn't have to be wider or taller. They could make it a bit thicker while simultaneously making it more comfortable for adult hands, and it wouldn't necessarily need to be a lot heavier. I'd also prefer to see higher graphics presets in portable mode rather than a resolution increase, 720p is the best you're gonna get anywhere near Switch's price point. If we're talking full length, full-featured games and not fixed-camera smartphone crap, anyway.

16. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Hori's already bringing the XL joycons. Just get rid of the bezels like every phone this year and you got your XL system there.

Xzi likes this.
  17. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah, but it'd be nice to have some official Nintendo joycons in a similar style, so that no features are sacrificed. Plus there's the matter of providing a bit more power and enough space to help disperse the resulting heat. I'm talking maybe a half inch thicker at most. Definitely lose the bezel, though.

18. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Do said Joy-Cons have batteries built in? Or is it the same deal as with their half-assed, "here's a Joy-con that depends on your Switch's battery to be functional! Have fun!" kind of deal like they did with their singular Joy-con?

Really wish there was a better d-pad solution for the Switch other than BASSTOP's shells....

19. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    With official ones there would be bullt-in batteries, yeah. If they were thicker, they'd make for a better independent controller when combined too.

Last edited by Xzi, Jul 18, 2019
  20. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i doubt going from 20nm to 16nm using the same 4000mha batery increases power effeciency in 83% lol