Nintendo will be launching a new version of the original Switch model, with improved battery life

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    That's a nice excuse to continue charging full MSRP. ;O;

But meh. That's nice I guess for people who don't already have a Switch, but nothing super special for anyone else.

2. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    no it doesn't drift but you can hardly call it an analog stick. I love the Vita and use it tons more as a handheld than i do with the switch but the vita stick is more like a round disk thingy that moves instead of being a real stick. It doesn't even have the stick portion in you know analag stick, it's just a moving round disk thingy

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Let's have a looksie...
    s-l300 (2). rbsku1275.
    See the similarities? This is not an accident, I bet. :P To be fair, they could change the resin in the carbon race to a slightly harder one, but experience is telling me that the wear and tear on those sticks is more a matter of how the user uses them, as well as the angle at which they're held more than anything else. I thought what the OP meant was a failure of the plastic itself, which they can't do much about besides changing the material completely, they can tweak some things regarding drift, which is an electrical issue. I personally never had a problem with my joycons, and I have a Day 1 model, although admittedly I use it very light duty.

banjo2 likes this.
  4. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    i have 3 pairs of joycons and all 3 left joycons have drift on the sticks rip

5. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Made trade in my current switch and upgrade. I bet I can get around $225 for the one I have and get the new one for essentially $75

6. CoupureElectrique

CoupureElectrique Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2018
    Canada
    Gonna keep waiting for something more worthwhile

7. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Not surprised someone who thinks the blue/red and purple/orange combos are ugly also can't count :P

????? Can people do a bit of reading/research before posting please? Not only is the packaging different, they have been completely transparent about the serial differences the new units are getting, something I've not seen many companies do before...

Last edited by Waygeek, Jul 17, 2019
  8. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Actually I'm not sure I put it past Nintendo to allow devs to use higher docked clocks. The battery life advertisement suggests they won't have that option for handheld mode, probably to keep the experience consistent between lite and standard, but they could add like a "docked new" profile that they don't bother telling the public about. Or perhaps they only start advertising the feature once the stock of OG switches is gone and games start supporting it. Maybe that is what the Samurai Showdown devs were referring to. Grasping at straws here but hope dies eternal...

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Jul 17, 2019
  9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    bah call me when the real switch pro is out

10. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    I'll continue waiting for the mains-only/battery-free, screenless, dockless, joycon-less, "home console" variant that comes with a pro controller, with overclocked performance for the same price (if not less than the price) of the Switch Light.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I would have thought that they would have shouted that from the rooftops, though this is Nintendo and their cagey nature about tech specs is probably second only to them wanting to do the family friendly thing or miss the point of the let's play set.

I would probably sooner go with they found someone willing to sell them higher rated batteries* for a price they can deal with -- for as much as a giant bastard as the Switch thing is (step 11 for those unfamiliar https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+Switch+Battery+Replacement/112995 ) to only get 16Wh is a bit low when compared to contemporary stuff seen in phones.

*whether better designs/chemistry or just not binning them lower is a different matter.

On the other hand I don't know what to read into the talk of battery life and game runtimes. For other companies it would mean something but here I am not sure.

12. Treeko

Treeko GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2012
    I don't understand why people need a pro model? If anything Nintendo should focus on next generation of their console than work on a pro model of the switch, we saw how the Pro/X worked out for Sony/Microsoft both consoles didn't even sell half the original/slim models numbers, could a pro switch happen? Sure Nintendo isn't alien to that idea but they have never upgraded their home console hardware, to me these look like probably the last hardware upgrade for the switch for a while, besides even if Nintendo were to make a switch pro it'd be overlooked by next gen PS5/Xbox, Nintendo don't wanna compete with that and rightly so, no matter how much Nintendo upgrade the hardware and actually split their playerbase which would be very negative for Nintendo especially third party wise it will not come close to the specs of the next gen boxes, making a pro model would be essentially a waste for Nintendo.

Only way I see a Pro model being real is if it were home console only, which means they wouldn't have to care about handheld and heat dissipation which holds the current models back significantly compared to what the tegra X1 can achieve, I wouldn't expect anything huge like 1080p gaming in handheld or significantly increased performance in handheld mode either, Nintendo are probably saving those things for the next gen console.

Last edited by Treeko, Jul 17, 2019
  13. nWo

nWo The Game Master

Oct 20, 2016
    Mexico
    The new joycons are more durable? Or are exactly what we know, in a new color?

14. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    I freking Knew It...sort of! Improved battery life! That's MASSIVE!

15. Frankbel

Frankbel GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2004
    Italy
    Messina
    This news is quite disappointing.

16. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    They might run more reliably with overclocking, if they use less power they probably run cooler.

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Nah, die shrinks are done on the down low, just look at the PS4 Slim and the Xbox One S. It's the same die, it's just that AMD changed the process node, so they necessarily had to adjust. From what I've heard the new Tegras were shrunk, so there's a good chance that longer battery life is a byproduct of that. They're probably getting rid of the old model in the budget Switch Lite which suspiciously has very similar battery life to the original, and effectively only runs a smidge longer because it doesn't have to trickle charge the joycon cells. I guess we'll see, but that's my guess - both possibilities are equally likely.

18. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    Sick, I can experience Joycon Drift with brand new colors and longer battery life now.

19. WiiHomebrew+Snes

WiiHomebrew+Snes GBAtemp Fan

May 4, 2016
    United States
    I need double neon orange, reminds me of the spice Gamecube/GBA stuff lol

20. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    If this is the Switch Pro then it's a disappointment I'm glad that I'm buying the Switch Lite.

toto621 likes this.