Misc Nintendo Wii U 1080p vs 480p output for Virtual Wii

threeboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Comparison of a Nintendo Wii U set to 1080p vs 480p to see what it does for the vWii (virtual Wii mode). It appears that if the system is set to 1080p the Wii U does some upsampling and sharpening. If the system is set to 480p it looks like it's left to the TV to do upsampling and in my case it doesn't filter it as harshly so the edges are less harsh.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
I agree. Previously on GBATemp:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/fixing-vwii-mode.573265/page-6#post-9758979

Hopefully this switcher gets added to Tiramisu:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-video-mode-changer.490721/page-2#post-9714309

Or the scaler in the Wii U gets fixed as the pure signal at 480p generates a much, much better image. There is a lot of technical info floating around on this so it should be possible to mod the cafe2wii properly as N themselves did before so its flashable and not risky either.

threeboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree. Previously on GBATemp:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/fixing-vwii-mode.573265/page-6#post-9758979

Hopefully this switcher gets added to Tiramisu:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-video-mode-changer.490721/page-2#post-9714309

Or the scaler in the Wii U gets fixed as the pure signal at 480p generates a much, much better image. There is a lot of technical info floating around on this so it should be possible to mod the cafe2wii properly as N themselves did before so its flashable and not risky either.
Very neat!

I did set my Wii U to 480p when playing Pikmin 2 & Mario Galaxy 2. Seemed less harsh but it was cumbersome to switch back and forth when playing Wii U games so if a switcher gets added that’d be awesome.

Norris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main reason I think Wii u is the best way to play Wii is because if the game supports classic controller you can play it on the gamepad very relaxing to just sit in bed playing mkw I've never been a graphics person myself

Reactions: TatsuHun

threeboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The main reason I think Wii u is the best way to play Wii is because if the game supports classic controller you can play it on the gamepad very relaxing to just sit in bed playing mkw I've never been a graphics person myself
Totally. And gamepad won’t have these weird upsampling issues.

Aserl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
soooooooooooo ive been playing in the worse resolution this whole time? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reactions: Exnor and Tarmfot

trogdon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is misleading, the 480p image has less visible aliasing because it has a loss of detail versus the 1080p image which scales more accurately. Just look at a checkerboard test pattern in 240p test suite via the homebrew launcher and you can see how blurry the pattern is in 480p mode.

Mario_hat_with_eyes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I do this? I can't find a definite answer. I am considering getting an mclassic to make it look better, but I want to see if there is any way to make it look even slightly better without spending $100.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Comparison of a Nintendo Wii U set to 1080p vs 480p to see what it does for the vWii (virtual Wii mode). It appears that if the system is set to 1080p the Wii U does some upsampling and sharpening. If the system is set to 480p it looks like it's left to the TV to do upsampling and in my case it doesn't filter it as harshly so the edges are less harsh.

Blurrier 480p. Less harsh with the jaggies, but hardly an "improvement".

This is misleading, the 480p image has less visible aliasing because it has a loss of detail versus the 1080p image which scales more accurately. Just look at a checkerboard test pattern in 240p test suite via the homebrew launcher and you can see how blurry the pattern is in 480p mode.
This is 100% correct.

Aserl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes exactly. i got a HDTV recently and after going some testing the 480p settings is less jaggier but blurry as hell. 1080p is jaggy, but is definitely a lot clearer. Switching between 1080 and 480 depending on what im playing on it is annoying so I'll just set it to 1080p and leave it be.

threeboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just wanted to show there is a difference - it really just comes down to personal preference (and also what your TV does to upscale 480p)

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason it's up to preference is because the source is 480P.
If you're looking for really nice render, play on emulator where the internal output resolution can be increased.
I would love to see a feat on WiiU though the hardware is limited.

Reactions: Aserl

threeboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Source 480p is true but as the video shows it can produce different results depending on the Wii U res settings.

Emulation is the best for a graphics bump for sure.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
All that video shows is the Wii Us upscaler vs the upscaler of @threeboy s TV.
So I guess you need to use a CRT (cause it's able to display 480p natively, without any upscaling) for best results.

trogdon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All that video shows is the Wii Us upscaler vs the upscaler of @threeboy s TV.
So I guess you need to use a CRT (cause it's able to display 480p natively, without any upscaling) for best results.

No, it’s showing a TV upscaling an improperly scaled 480p stretched to the full TV, versus a much more proper scale to 1080p by the Wii U, then scaled by the TV.

Most CRT’s do not do 480p, and even then the Wii U will look worse than the Wii running 480p because of the way the Wii U degrades 480p output.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1