Flo_o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
getpubthumb

~ Music by Monomirror

Introduction:

With this brand new USB Loader GX theme, i want to bring back the classic Nintendo retro vibe. I missed that so much when i got my first Wii. I was looking forward to a complete new Nintendo, but it was plain white, contained a boring menu and i missed all the Nintendo trademarks, the beloved characters Nintendo is famous and loved for. So i started a small project in 2018 to create a fun, happy and clean retro USB Loader GX theme for the Wii, with the creativity of Nintendo in mind. The result, call it a 'NES classic mini' inspired retro theme.

I hope this theme will give you a nostalgic feeling, and that it will put a smile on your face after booting up your Wii.

- Flo

Things you need to know before installing:

• You will need a Wii that can run homebrew
  • To get the best result after installing this theme, also change/patch your internal Wii system menu theme to a dark variant, like the dark wii theme made by Slazor. The new dark channel 'settings' and 'start' buttons will fit the theme way better than the default white buttons. Use the MyMenuifyMOD made by Scooby74029 to patch your internal Wii system menu theme.
Installation:

- Unpack the .zip file to your desktop and drag the 'theme' folder to the following location on your SD card: apps\usbloader_gx
- Turn on your Wii and start USB Loader GX
- Go to 'settings' and then to 'theme menu'
- Open WiiRetro and install it
- After installation, go to 'settings'-->'gui settings' and disable the 'use system font' to activate the WiiRetro font. Without disabling the 'use system font', the WiiRetro font is not visible or too small.

Optional:

- If you want the original NES Classic Mini or SNES Classic Mini background music, drag and drop the music folder to the following location on your SD card: apps\usbloader_gx
- Go to 'settings' --> 'sound' --> 'backgroundmusic' --> 'change play path' and select the 'music' folder. Then you can select the NES Classic Menu Music.wav or SNES Classic Menu Music.wav, change the volume to 50 for the best result.

That's all!

Custom Channels:

• The theme comes with one custom made Wii Snes9x GX channel for the Super Nintendo emulator. My goal is to release more emulator channels in the future. These channels will fit the WiiRetro theme nicely and will also give you that nostalgic feeling.

Use Multi-Mod Manager to install custom channels. Don't know how? Use this guide.

Channel List:

#1 Super Nintendo

Snes9x GX (are you using Snes9x RX? Just rename the Snes9xRX apps folder to snes9xgx)

getpubthumb

- Path: sd\apps\snes9xgx\boot.dol
- Included with WiiRetro Theme

#2 Nintendo Entertainment System

FCE Ultra GX (are you using FCE Ultra RX? Just rename the FceuRX apps folder to fceugx)

getpubthumb

- Path: sd\apps\fceugx\boot.dol
- Download

#3 Sega Mega Drive

Genesis Plus GX

getpubthumb

- Path: sd\apps\genplusgx\boot.dol
- Download

#4 Game Boy

VBA GX

getpubthumb

- Path: sd\apps\vbagx\boot.dol
- Download

#5 Game Boy Advance

mGBA / Enhanced mGBA

getpubthumb

- Path mGBA: sd\apps\mgba\boot.dol
- Download

- Path Enhanced mGBA: sd\apps\emgba\boot.dol
- Download

#6 TurboGrafx-16

WiiMednafen

getpubthumb

- Path: sd\apps\wiimednafen\boot.dol
- Download

#7 Nintendo 64

Not64

getpubthumb

- Path: sd\apps\not64\boot.dol
- Download

To-Do list:

• Create a WiiRetro internal wii system menu theme, main target first is to change the channel screen elements and closing game screen elements. The buttons stay white after patching the internal system theme in a dark theme. I don't know how to do this, but if you can help me out? Just PM me :)
  • Create a WiiRetro theme for the homebrew menu.
I won't do a WiiFlow theme, but i can help if you want to do that.

IMPORTANT:

• If you want to use my theme for other projects, please keep in mind that i have put in a lot of work realizing this theme, so say thanks and give me some credits :)

- CREDITS -

soupkiff [For designing the awesome Box Boy cursor and all the support, thanks again my friend!]
Spiffy360 [For creating USB Loader GX Theme Creator]
Leathl [For creating CustomizeMii]
Mastershoes [For his awesome retro channels, used on of his legendary channels as a base]
MapleStoryPSN [For his lossless NES/SNES Classic Mini menu music rips!]
retropie.org.uk/forum/ Multiple Users [Used a few elements from several Pie themes, do you see your own stuff? Just let me know! I will add you to this list]
Larsenv [It all started with one of his themes, Material Dark, his theme inspired me to do one of my own!]
spriters-resource.com Multiple Users [For all those awesome game sprites!, do you see your own stuff? Just let me know! I will add you to this list]
ExXtReMe from deviantart.com [Used his Nintendo Wii Cover Template for some boxart wii icons]
Darrell Flood [Font: Space Crusader]

~ See any bugs? Just let me know and i will look into it, suggestions are always welcome! :)

...::: Download :::...

Last edited by Flo_o,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I like it but I feel the title is a bit misleading as it sounds like it's a tribute to wii when it actually is a tribute to NES. Looks great though!

Reactions: Flo_o

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great work on the theme Flo. Ill be using it to replace Darkened "but ill keep it around also". I love the Snes9x GX channel, great game choices for the grid. I am going to use your Snes9x GX channel layout as the FCE Ultra GX emulator layout with some editing. Can't wait for your official NES channel, Beautiful job on this project Flo. Thanks for your time and effort, cheers to you.:grog:

Last edited by RunningSnakes,

Flo_o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I like it but I feel the title is a bit misleading as it sounds like it's a tribute to wii when it actually is a tribute to NES. Looks great though!
Sorry Zense, i understand your confusion. Let's say that my purpose was a tribute to the Wii, but with the amount of NES details, it could be a tribute to the NES also (or maybe just only), maybe it was better to just title the thread as Nintendo Wii USB Loader GX Retro Theme, but i will save that for a next time when i refresh this thread, in the mean time, enjoy the theme! :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Great work on the theme Flo. Ill be using it to replace Darkened "but ill keep it around also". I love the Snes9x GX channel, great game choices for the grid. I am going to use your Snes9x GX channel layout as the FCE Ultra GX emulator layout with some editing. Can't wait for your official NES channel, Beautiful job on this project Flo. Thanks for your time and effort, cheers to you.:grog:

You're welcome RunningSnakes, great to hear that you like the theme! I will release the NES channel soon :) Thanks again for your patience and your support!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Awesome! Thanks man!!
Thanks codyjo!

JustinIsHere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Flo_o been following your project since the start of this year and I have to say that I absolutely love this theme you created. 100% worth the wait. Looking forward to your future projects.

Flo_o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@Flo_o been following your project since the start of this year and I have to say that I absolutely love this theme you created. 100% worth the wait. Looking forward to your future projects.
Hi Justin, thank you so much! Awesome to hear that you like the theme, i've put in a lot of eastereggs also, some throwbacks to classic NES games (check if you can find them all;), got a lot of new ideas so keep an eye on this thread, thanks again for your support :yaywii:

Flo_o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You ever going to re-upload this? Been waiting over a month now.
Be patient Griffballchamp & BenBb, lot of stuff is going on lately and i will do my best to get it ready again. Also, i discovered a few little bugs in version 1.0 that i want to be fixed. Just give me some more time, i am a perfectionist so i hate to upload something that is not perfect.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
This theme looks cool! I'm glad the material dark theme inspired you (it started with someone else making that theme for the Homebrew Channel)

Once you get the link back up, I think I'll install it. I don't play games that much so I don't use USB Loader GX that much, but this should give it a fresh coat of paint.

Flo_o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This theme looks cool! I'm glad the material dark theme inspired you (it started with someone else making that theme for the Homebrew Channel)

Once you get the link back up, I think I'll install it. I don't play games that much so I don't use USB Loader GX that much, but this should give it a fresh coat of paint.
Hi Larsenv, awesome to see your comment here, your theme was indeed a big inspiration for me :) I put in lots of hours to get everything clean and retro so let me know if you like the theme and channels when it's ready again, i hope you will game more after installing it ;)

jstphil

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, the theme is back online again, i have fixed a lot of small details and flaws, the SnesGX channel is also updated, and i have also added a fresh new FCE Ultra GX channel :yaywii:

changed version number to v2.0

enjoy!

Thank you! Will try it out when I'm back from vacation :yaywii::)

Griffballchamp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: laz305

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?