Nintendo Wii Tribute USB Loader GX Theme / WiiRetro

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Flo_o, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Flo_o
    OP

Flo_o GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2017
    [​IMG]

~ Music by Monomirror

Introduction:

it all started with the need for some retro feeling, the same i had when i was little. I can remember it fontly, my first time playing Super Mario Brothers 2 on my brand new nintendo entertainment system, a system that has everything, and mostly, simplicity. Just the basics, gaming without interuption and using your imagination to fill in the gaps. With this brand new USB Loader GX theme, i want to bring back that old day retro feeling. I missed that so much when i got my first Wii, i was looking forward to a complete new nintendo world, but it was all white, dense, and i missed all the nintendo trademarks, the beloved characters nintendo is famous and loved for. So i started a project in 2018 to create a fun, happy and clean theme for the Wii, with the creativity of nintendo in mind. The result, call it a NES Classic / retro theme.

I hope this theme will give you a nostalgic feeling, and that it will put a smile on your face when you turn on your Wii.

- Flo

Things you need to know before installing:

• Keep in mind that this theme will change the Wii elements when using USB Loader GX as your main system menu, but there are some elements that will not change. The first two elements are the 'settings' and 'start' buttons on the channel screen, the second one is the screen you will see when closing a Wii game or Wiiware game. Both screens are internal wii menu screens that can only be changed by editing the internal system wii theme, it's on my to-do list but for now it remains unchanged.
    • To get the best result after installing this theme, also change/patch your internal Wii system menu to a dark variant, like the dark wii theme made by Slazor. The new dark channel 'settings' and 'start' buttons will fit the theme way better than the default white buttons. Use the MyMenuifyMOD made by Scooby74029.
    Installation:

- Unpack the .zip file to your desktop and drag the 'theme' folder to the following location on your SD card: apps\usbloader_gx
    - Turn on your Wii and start USB Loader GX
    - Go to 'settings' and then to 'theme menu'
    - Open WiiRetro and install it
    - After installation, go to 'settings'-->'gui settings' and disable the 'use system font' to activate the WiiRetro font. Without disabling the 'use system font', the WiiRetro font is not visible or too small.

Optional:

- If you want the original NES Classic or SNES Classic background music, drag and drop the music folder to the following location on your SD card: apps\usbloader_gx
    - Go to 'settings'-->'sound'-->'backgroundmusic'-->'change play path' and select the 'music' folder. Then you can select the NES Classic Menu Music.wav or SNES Classic Menu Music.wav, change the volume to 50.

That's all!

Custom Channels:

• The theme comes with one custom made Wii Snes9x GX channel, my goal is to release more emulator channels in the future. These channels will fit the WiiRetro theme nicely and will also give you that nostalgic feeling.

Use Multi-Mod Manager to install custom channels. Don't know how? Use this guide.

Channel List:

#1 Snes9x GX (are you using Snes9x RX? Just rename the Snes9xRX folder to snes9xgx)
    - Path: sd\apps\snes9xgx\boot.dol
    - Included with WiiRetro

#2 FCE Ultra GX (are you using FCE Ultra RX? Just rename the FceuRX folder to fceugx)
    - Path: sd\apps\fceugx\boot.dol
    - Download

Genesis Plus GX
    - Path: sd\apps\genplusgx\boot.dol
    - Download

To-Do list:

• Create a WiiRetro internal wii system menu theme, main target first is to change the channel screen elements and closing game screen elements, i don't know how to do this, but if you can help me out? Just PM me :)
    • Create a WiiRetro theme for the homebrew menu.
    I won't do a WiiFlow theme, but i can help if you want to do that.

Wishlist:

• A custom made USB Loader GX version with a intergrated WiiRetro theme, it's beyond my capabilities but it would be really awesome!

IMPORTANT:

• If you want to use my theme for other projects, please keep in mind that i have put in a lot of work realizing this theme, so say thanks and give me some credits :)

- CREDITS -

soupkiff [For designing the awesome Box Boy cursor and all the support, thanks again my friend!]
    Spiffy360 [For creating USB Loader GX Theme Creator]
    Leathl [For creating CustomizeMii]
    Mastershoes [For his awesome retro channels, used on of his legendary channels as a base]
    MapleStoryPSN [For his lossless NES/SNES Classic Mini menu music rips!]
    retropie.org.uk/forum/ Multiple Users [Used a few elements from several Pie themes, do you see your own stuff? Just let me know! I will add you to this list]
    Larsenv [It all started with one of his themes, Material Dark, this theme inspired me to do one of my own!]
    spriters-resource.com Multiple Users [For all those awesome game sprites!, do you see your own stuff? Just let me know! I will add you to this list]
    ExXtReMe from deviantart.com [Used his Nintendo Wii Cover Template for some boxart wii icons]
    Darrell Flood [Font: Space Crusader]

~ See any bugs? Just let me know and i will look into it, suggestions are always welcome! :)

Download

Last edited by Flo_o, Sep 30, 2019
  2. Flo_o
    OP

Flo_o GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2017
    It's up! Enjoy!

RunningSnakes likes this.
  3. RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2018
    United States
    Awesome. I will be installing shortly.

4. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    I like it but I feel the title is a bit misleading as it sounds like it's a tribute to wii when it actually is a tribute to NES. Looks great though!

Flo_o likes this.
  5. RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2018
    United States
    Great work on the theme Flo. Ill be using it to replace Darkened "but ill keep it around also". I love the Snes9x GX channel, great game choices for the grid. I am going to use your Snes9x GX channel layout as the FCE Ultra GX emulator layout with some editing. Can't wait for your official NES channel, Beautiful job on this project Flo. Thanks for your time and effort, cheers to you.:grog:

Last edited by RunningSnakes, Apr 1, 2019
    Flo_o likes this.
  6. codyjo

codyjo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    Canada
    Awesome! Thanks man!!

7. Flo_o
    OP

Flo_o GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2017
    Sorry Zense, i understand your confusion. Let's say that my purpose was a tribute to the Wii, but with the amount of NES details, it could be a tribute to the NES also (or maybe just only), maybe it was better to just title the thread as Nintendo Wii USB Loader GX Retro Theme, but i will save that for a next time when i refresh this thread, in the mean time, enjoy the theme! :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You're welcome RunningSnakes, great to hear that you like the theme! I will release the NES channel soon :) Thanks again for your patience and your support!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thanks codyjo!

RunningSnakes, codyjo and Zense like this.
  8. JustinIsHere

JustinIsHere Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2019
    United States
    @Flo_o been following your project since the start of this year and I have to say that I absolutely love this theme you created. 100% worth the wait. Looking forward to your future projects.

Flo_o likes this.
  9. Flo_o
    OP

Flo_o GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2017
    Hi Justin, thank you so much! Awesome to hear that you like the theme, i've put in a lot of eastereggs also, some throwbacks to classic NES games (check if you can find them all;), got a lot of new ideas so keep an eye on this thread, thanks again for your support :yaywii:

10. WiiErik

WiiErik Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2019
    Netherlands
    The download link is not working anymore :cry:

11. Flo_o
    OP

Flo_o GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2017
    I see that i have accidentally remove the project folder, will upload it soon, including the new FCEUGX channel

jstphil and BenBb like this.
  12. Griffballchamp

Griffballchamp GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2018
    United States

You ever going to re-upload this? Been waiting over a month now.

jstphil and BenBb like this.
  13. BenBb

BenBb Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2019
    Canada
    Yes ! PLEASE! I’m impatient to install it soon as possible! LOOK SO NICE !!

14. Flo_o
    OP

Flo_o GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2017
    Be patient Griffballchamp & BenBb, lot of stuff is going on lately and i will do my best to get it ready again. Also, i discovered a few little bugs in version 1.0 that i want to be fixed. Just give me some more time, i am a perfectionist so i hate to upload something that is not perfect.

15. Larsenv

Larsenv Dr. Wii, Ph.D

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    DFW
    This theme looks cool! I'm glad the material dark theme inspired you (it started with someone else making that theme for the Homebrew Channel)

Once you get the link back up, I think I'll install it. I don't play games that much so I don't use USB Loader GX that much, but this should give it a fresh coat of paint.

Flo_o likes this.
  16. Flo_o
    OP

Flo_o GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2017
    Hi Larsenv, awesome to see your comment here, your theme was indeed a big inspiration for me :) I put in lots of hours to get everything clean and retro so let me know if you like the theme and channels when it's ready again, i hope you will game more after installing it ;)

17. jstphil

jstphil Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2019
    United States
    Awesome :lol: @Flo_o

Looking forward to your new release!:toot:

Flo_o likes this.
  18. Flo_o
    OP

Flo_o GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2017
    Hi all, the theme is back online again, i have fixed a lot of small details and flaws, the SnesGX channel is also updated, and i have also added a fresh new FCE Ultra GX channel :yaywii:

changed version number to v2.0

enjoy!

Last edited by Flo_o, Aug 25, 2019
  19. jstphil

jstphil Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2019
    United States
    Thank you! Will try it out when I'm back from vacation :yaywii::)

20. Griffballchamp

Griffballchamp GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2018
    United States
    Why not upload this to gbatemp server so other people can see/find it ????

https://gbatemp.net/download/categories/other-files.166/

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted