With this brand new USB Loader GX theme, i want to bring back the classic Nintendo retro vibe. I missed that so much when i got my first Wii. I was looking forward to a complete new Nintendo, but it was plain white, contained a boring menu and i missed all the Nintendo trademarks, the beloved characters Nintendo is famous and loved for. So i started a small project in 2018 to create a fun, happy and clean retro USB Loader GX theme for the Wii, with the creativity of Nintendo in mind. The result, call it a 'NES classic mini' inspired retro theme.
I hope this theme will give you a nostalgic feeling, and that it will put a smile on your face after booting up your Wii.
Things you need to know before installing:
- You will need a Wii that can run homebrew
- You will need USB Loader GX: https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/
- To get the best result after installing this theme, also change/patch your internal Wii system menu theme to a dark variant, like the dark wii theme made by Slazor. The new dark channel 'settings' and 'start' buttons will fit the theme way better than the default white buttons. Use the MyMenuifyMOD made by Scooby74029 to patch your internal Wii system menu theme.
- Unpack the .zip file to your desktop and drag the 'theme' folder to the following location on your SD card: apps\usbloader_gx
- Turn on your Wii and start USB Loader GX
- Go to 'settings' and then to 'theme menu'
- Open WiiRetro and install it
- After installation, go to 'settings'-->'gui settings' and disable the 'use system font' to activate the WiiRetro font. Without disabling the 'use system font', the WiiRetro font is not visible or too small.
- If you want the original NES Classic Mini or SNES Classic Mini background music, drag and drop the music folder to the following location on your SD card: apps\usbloader_gx
- Go to 'settings' --> 'sound' --> 'backgroundmusic' --> 'change play path' and select the 'music' folder. Then you can select the NES Classic Menu Music.wav or SNES Classic Menu Music.wav, change the volume to 50 for the best result.
- The theme comes with one custom made Wii Snes9x GX channel for the Super Nintendo emulator. My goal is to release more emulator channels in the future. These channels will fit the WiiRetro theme nicely and will also give you that nostalgic feeling.
Use Multi-Mod Manager to install custom channels. Don't know how? Use this guide.
#1 Super Nintendo
Snes9x GX (are you using Snes9x RX? Just rename the Snes9xRX apps folder to snes9xgx)
- Path: sd\apps\snes9xgx\boot.dol
- Included with WiiRetro Theme
#2 Nintendo Entertainment System
FCE Ultra GX (are you using FCE Ultra RX? Just rename the FceuRX apps folder to fceugx)
- Path: sd\apps\fceugx\boot.dol
#3 Sega Mega Drive
Genesis Plus GX
- Path: sd\apps\genplusgx\boot.dol
#4 Game Boy
- Path: sd\apps\vbagx\boot.dol
#5 Game Boy Advance
mGBA / Enhanced mGBA
- Path mGBA: sd\apps\mgba\boot.dol
- Path Enhanced mGBA: sd\apps\emgba\boot.dol
- Path: sd\apps\wiimednafen\boot.dol
#7 Nintendo 64
- Path: sd\apps\not64\boot.dol
- Create a WiiRetro internal wii system menu theme, main target first is to change the channel screen elements and closing game screen elements. The buttons stay white after patching the internal system theme in a dark theme. I don't know how to do this, but if you can help me out? Just PM me
- Create a WiiRetro theme for the homebrew menu.
- If you want to use my theme for other projects, please keep in mind that i have put in a lot of work realizing this theme, so say thanks and give me some credits
- CREDITS -
soupkiff [For designing the awesome Box Boy cursor and all the support, thanks again my friend!]
Spiffy360 [For creating USB Loader GX Theme Creator]
Leathl [For creating CustomizeMii]
Mastershoes [For his awesome retro channels, used on of his legendary channels as a base]
MapleStoryPSN [For his lossless NES/SNES Classic Mini menu music rips!]
retropie.org.uk/forum/ Multiple Users [Used a few elements from several Pie themes, do you see your own stuff? Just let me know! I will add you to this list]
Larsenv [It all started with one of his themes, Material Dark, his theme inspired me to do one of my own!]
spriters-resource.com Multiple Users [For all those awesome game sprites!, do you see your own stuff? Just let me know! I will add you to this list]
ExXtReMe from deviantart.com [Used his Nintendo Wii Cover Template for some boxart wii icons]
Darrell Flood [Font: Space Crusader]
~ See any bugs? Just let me know and i will look into it, suggestions are always welcome!
...::: Download :::...
Last edited by Flo_o,