Nintendo WiFi Connector hackable?

Discussion in 'Wii - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by GeekyGuy, Aug 28, 2009.

Aug 28, 2009
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    This may be a very naive question, but I just want to be certain, since the USB connector from Nintendo does broadcast some type of WiFi signal and seems to use WEP security. Is it possible for people to hack it in some like they would through a wireless router? [​IMG]

2. kLiNiKaL

Member kLiNiKaL Dr. Greenthumb

Jamaica
    if you was to login to your hotmail or something and some busted your WEP key and was running something like wireshark, ssldump and abit of arp poising then maybe just maybe they could sniff your data..

but could they hack into the actual wii?? i dont think tho..if there was a wifi exploit to run code on the wii i think we would of exploited it by now.

3. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Think of a phone. Just because there's a phone outlet on your wall, it doesn't mean someone can call you and you can answer it.

Does the wii have wifi, yes. Does that mean the wii is sitting around waiting to answer the phone anytime someone attempts to call it? no. Even if it was, it'd say "hello" and the hacker would say "robble robble robble" and the Wii would hang up.

4. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    No, I'm not really concerned if it's possible to access content within the Wii. My concern is access to the PC the USB dongle is connected to, as well as simply being able to piggyback on my Internet connection. Is it possible?

5. chrisf

Banned chrisf Banned

United States
    if your wii can get on the internet with it then in theory someone could find a way to use your internet conenction off of it. but its not gonna happen