Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Dongle - Windows 7 issue

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by stonegolem, May 2, 2010.

May 2, 2010
  1. stonegolem
    OP

Newcomer stonegolem Advanced Member

Canada
    Hello,

I decided to ask help after reading every possible forum thread that I could find.

I request help from anyone who could manage to make operate "Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Dongle" under Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit.

1) I bought a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Dongle even I knew there is no Windows 7 drivers for it. (so, if I can't make it work, that is OK.)

2) I am using a laptop and I have a shared home network internet. I don't have access to the router. I am connected to the internet by using LAN cable. There is no option for wireless connection.

3) I have Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit. But in order to use Nintendo Wi-Fi Dongle, I have installed Microsoft Virtual PC (XP Mode)

4) I have successfully installed latest Nintendo Wi-Fi Dongle drivers under VIrtual XP mode.

5) My Wi-Fi Dongle seems to work because it's green light is blinking. I can also accept my DS's connection request.

6) When I try to "test connection". Signal strength goes all the way up and down periodically even my DS system is just near the wi-fi dongle. It looks like the connection is being cut by every 10 seconds. So, the "connection test" always fail.

7) I already tried "http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/390312". Everyone is suggesting this solution but it doesn't provide a solution for me. (it is also mentioned in that, it wont work on laptops with LAN Cable connection)

I will be happy if someone can show me a solution.

Thank you.

2. waffle1995

Member waffle1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
  3. stonegolem
    OP

Canada
    Thank you. I read your tutorial, thats is actually why I decided to write a request. I thought, there may be still people who might trying to make it work.

4. waffle1995

Member waffle1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    np Im happy to help!

5. stonegolem
    OP

Canada
    There should be a way to make it work...

I heard some people done that by using "vanilla drivers". I have no idea what is that.

6. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I also have the USB dongle and have tried to no avail to get it to work on a 64 bit of Windows 7. It works on the 32 bit version, though. The SoftAP tutorial didn't work for me. Though on the 32 bit version it didn't update.
    I ended up dual-booting Vista and 7.

7. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Try turning off the firewall.
    On my XP computer, it will do the exact same thing as you until I turn off the firewall.

8. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    What wireless card does your laptop have? If it's an Intel 5100 or 5300 or something similar, you may be able to turn your laptop itself into a SoftAP. This is how I connect to Nintendo WiFi. Go to Device Manager -> Network adapters in order to find out what wireless card your laptop uses.

9. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    OK, it's not the wireless card or overheating l or virtual XP mode and so on.......
    I got it to work on windows 7, but mind you only tested on the 32bit OS.
    First of all , you have to complete remove the drivers with the dongle connected and reboot, otherwise it's not gonna work.
    Then unplug the USB dongle ( before rebooting actually ).
    Get the latest Nintendo Wifi drivers ( i think it was revision 7, claimed to be compatible with Vista ).
    For best results , deactivate the firewall ( and maybe the antivirus ) and right click on the installation driver and select " run as administrator " or you can try to run it in compatibility mode for Vista service pack 1 ( I can't remember which one worked for me because at the time I also happened to try several times the unsuccessful installation ).
    When prompted, insert the USB dongle and let it finish the installation.
    At the end, the problem lies with the settings on windows 7 about internet sharing .
    So for me I had to make a small compromise:
    Everytime you want to use the USB dongle, restart your PC with the dongle already connected.
    I had exactly the same problem as you, but if I boot the computer and the dongle is connected it seems that it gets accepted and works in harmony with the firewall and the security center.
    Before you try everything I wrote so far, try experimenting just this:

-Shot down the PC.
    -Plug the USB dongle.
    -Boot your PC.

It works for me everytime. If it fails , try my tutorial.
    Like I said, the problem lies with windows 7 built in internet security and connection sharing.
    It might be possible to manually edit the settings and achieve a permanent fix, but so far the trick of rebooting worked like a charm for me.

10. stonegolem
    OP

Canada
    Pinguin7 --> I tried what you said. Very good approach, but it didn't work on my Virtual XP mode [​IMG]

DeMoN --> I also tried to make my wireless card into a soft AP. No luck so far. (mine is Dell Wireless 1505...)

Arm73 --> I have done that before, But just in case if I missed something, I tried running as Admin/XP compatible mode/Vista compatiple mode again, each time with a total uninstall and reboot. Mine is not working probably because of 64 Bit stuff. (I am still re-trying each option one more time to be exactly sure...) (It is also known that driver is not Vista 64 bit compatible. it only works on 32 bit Vista)

Thank you guys... but maybe I have to accept my fate. Maybe it doesn't work on Windows 7 64 Bit.
    Still, I will be happy to try any new ideas.

11. SirCB85

Member SirCB85 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
  12. Maplemage

Member Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Antarctica
    So your DS cant connect to the wifi usb dongle? okay the thing I do is Deny permission to connect then turn the computer off and on and try again without taking the wifi usb out or uninstall your wifi usb again then install it again, when prompted to reboot your computer do it and try, works always for me =D