Nintendo was smart to redesign the hinge on 3DSes

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Arnold Schwarzen, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Arnold Schwarzen
    OP

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It looks like Nintendo did something like image 2 and kudos to them. They should have done this back when they manufactured the Lites but at least our 3DS hinges ain't gonna fall apart any time soon. TBH I never had this hinge issue but the redesign should prevent anyone from easily getting it.

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Now get ready to get flamed by people saying "BAWWW IT'S LOOSE BAWWWWWWW"

3. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    My 3DS's hinge is perfect. I do hope it holds up well over time.

As for the DSLite's, I think it was more a plastic issue than design. I can only go on my own experience, but I went through FOUR white DSLite's under warranty, replaced every time for cracked hinges. Every time I went though this I asked for a different color, and every time NOA said they couldn't do that. They kept sending white ones, and they kept on breaking. Both of my kids got the later two-tone versions (black/crimson and black/cobalt) several years ago and neither of them has had a problem. And trust me, my kids are a lot harder on their DSLite's than I ever was with mine.

My final white DSLite held out longer than the previous three, but almost 1 full year after the warranty expired it too cracked, at the same spot as the others. I had no choice but to keep it and use it, and after another 6 months or so the whole plastic housing where the led lights are flaked and crumbled away. Now the hinge swings loose, with no 'detent' to hold it in place. My wife uses it to read novels using a japanese 'game' that lets you download old books. It's called Bungaku Zensyu. The broken hinge doesn't matter for something like that, but for any actual game, it's unplayable now.

4. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    I got a limited edition Mario Red DS Lite and it's going fine, but thats only a year and a bit old.

5. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    I got a limited edition golden triforce DSlite with a pre ordered phantoms hourglass (wish they had that again for spirit tracks :/) it lasted for a good 1 year and a half before I ran into any problems then it got broken L/R and my touch screen got dead pixels, but I didnt have any real issues with the hinge till about 2 and a half yyears, but hey, it still works and I use it as a back up system for when my lil niece comes down. [​IMG]

6. boktor666

Member boktor666 Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!

Netherlands
    I have my dsl for about 2/3 years or so? no issues at all, no hinge crack, no dead pix, and good functioning l/r buttys. But it does look like ninty did something similiar like your image. mabey they do follow tips from users?

7. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Ahem..
    BAWWW IT'S LOOSE BAWWWWWWW

Warning: Spoilers inside!

8. dimmidice

Member dimmidice GBAtemp Maniac

Belgium
    i dont know why but the hinge bothers me [​IMG] i have this illogical fear that it'l break. never had that with my ds

9. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    I tried to inculcate that to blockhead Tempers in every F thread about "loose" hinge.

Pip'