OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
upload_2018-10-5_15-57-47.png

Nintendo of America's president, Reggie Fils-Aimé, talked about Nintendo's past, present, and future on the annual GeekWire Summit in Seattle earlier this week. He also talked about how the company would like to be defined. Nintendo would like to be looked at as an entertainment company rather than a gaming one. The company has three areas of business: video games, mobile gaming, and theme parks and movies. Super Mario Run was used as an example as to how they want to deliver their IPs in the future.
Reggie Fils-Aimé said:
That’s our vision for mobile: to deliver our intellectual property in compelling ways to consumers who may not have experienced those properties before. A belief that they’ll come back, maybe buy a Mario T-shirt, eat that Mario cereal, or buy a Switch, because of affiliation and affection they have with that IP.

He also said that the slow mobile rollout and lack of ports is intentional:
Reggie Fils-Aimé said:
Home system games, if transplanted to a mobile device, wouldn’t transfer as well. We needed to work through monetization... as we’re driven to make money. And we needed to work through how to be effective on platforms and marketplaces that we ourselves don’t own. That took time.

:arrow: Source • Nintendo Life

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to visit a "Mushroom Kingdom" similar to that of 'Disneyland'. I think it's growing too much and their work spills over to more than just gamers. Nintendo has become iconic across the world so it's inevitable games aren't the only thing. I wonder if they will be as big as Disney.
Also, I see this like Sony. They're in both entertainment and gaming. Win, Win?

Last edited by JiveTheTurkey,
Reactions: Mazamin and Minox

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
if they take down disney no more frozen covers and that movie sucked plus after hearing that damn song after so many times i come to loathe that movie with a passion
...What?

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to visit a "Mushroom Kingdom" similar to that of 'Disneyland'. I think it's growing too much and their work spills over to more than just gamers. Nintendo has become iconic across the world so it's inevitable games aren't the only thing. I wonder if they will be as big as Disney.
Also, I see this like Sony. They're in both entertainment and gaming. Win, Win?
Universal is opening a Nintendo land.

Reactions: JiveTheTurkey

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think if they want to be seen as something other than a gaming company they will have to expand into new areas. Universal Studios has theme parks and even has games, but they're still seen as a movie production company, because that's 90% of their focus and everything else is just based on their movies.
Mobile gaming is still gaming, and the "theme park" thing, so far is just a couple of rides at Universal Studios Japan, though I would like to see more of that. If those rides turn out to be popular then maybe we will see entire theme parks focused on just Nintendo, which sounds like lots of fun.
And we have one confirmed movie. Which isn't actually made by Nintendo, so it doesn't even count. And considering the studio behind it, there's a high chance it will turn out to be mediocre.
Mario himself isn't a terribly interesting character for a movie, as some people have pointed out, since there isn't really much lore about him, he almost never talks in the games, and the most important thing: could you really make an entire movie about stomping on Goombas and saving the princess? Or multiple movies? How would you make enough content to fill a feature length film? And if the movie isn't going to be about that, then what? It's just hard to imagine how they could make it work, especially considering it's going to be made by Illumination. Nintendo themselves could probably do a better job at it or even tie it into some new game, or create new lore through the games that can tie into later movies. But bottom line is Mario just isn't the best suited for movies.

In general it's still something I would like to see more of, I mean who doesn't want to see a live-action Zelda epic? It could become the next Lord of the Rings if done right. Or it could be mediocre as many video game movies tend to be. But it needs to happen, I need to see what could be. Some of their other IPs could make for good movies too, such as Kid Icarus.

Fun fact: There was an unofficial live action Zelda movie titled The Hero of Time, which, besides none of the characters looking like what they should and the complete lack of any special effects (obviously due to an almost nonexistant budget) is actually decent. Certainly much better than the Super Mario Bros. movie.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1808555/ - looks like it's easier to find online now than it was back when I scoured the Internet for it after it had been shut down by Nintendo, it's even on YouTube:

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and idk if something will happen to my ps3 if i connect it to wifi with hen activated
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient