Nintendo wants to be an entertainment company instead of a gaming one

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by smileyhead, Oct 5, 2018.

1. smileyhead
    OP

smileyhead 56709

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    upload_2018-10-5_15-57-47.

Nintendo of America's president, Reggie Fils-Aimé, talked about Nintendo's past, present, and future on the annual GeekWire Summit in Seattle earlier this week. He also talked about how the company would like to be defined. Nintendo would like to be looked at as an entertainment company rather than a gaming one. The company has three areas of business: video games, mobile gaming, and theme parks and movies. Super Mario Run was used as an example as to how they want to deliver their IPs in the future.
    He also said that the slow mobile rollout and lack of ports is intentional:
    :arrow: Source • Nintendo Life

CallmeBerto and JiveTheTurkey like this.
  2. JiveTheTurkey

JiveTheTurkey GBAtemp Fan

Nov 6, 2017
    United States
    I'd love to visit a "Mushroom Kingdom" similar to that of 'Disneyland'. I think it's growing too much and their work spills over to more than just gamers. Nintendo has become iconic across the world so it's inevitable games aren't the only thing. I wonder if they will be as big as Disney.
    Also, I see this like Sony. They're in both entertainment and gaming. Win, Win?

Last edited by JiveTheTurkey, Oct 5, 2018
    Mazamin and Minox like this.
  3. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker 8 Bit Natsumi

Aug 6, 2018
    United States
    N/A
    if they take down disney no more frozen covers and that movie sucked plus after hearing that damn song after so many times i come to loathe that movie with a passion

4. smileyhead
    OP

smileyhead 56709

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    ...What?

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N and Seriel like this.
  5. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker 8 Bit Natsumi

Aug 6, 2018
    United States
    N/A
    If Nintendo take down Disney , that will be a day i will actually be happy about. No more mention of frozen as that movie pisses me of beyond belief.

the_randomizer likes this.
  6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Games are a form of entertainment, talk about being redundant.

7. JiveTheTurkey

Nov 6, 2017
    United States
    Without knowing, you started the frozen mention. :rofl2: Lol but yeah, I too think people should just let it go.

Tiger21820 and Seriel like this.
  8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Meh, Frozen sucks and is overrated.

Bladexdsl, yacepi15 and WiikeyHacker like this.
  9. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    If that means we get cartoons anime and movies again, I'm in.

As for taking down Disney, the only ones that can do that, is themselves at this point.

WiikeyHacker likes this.
  10. Kallus

Kallus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    United States
    Video games are a form of entertainment. So if you think they want to stop making games, you're dead wrong.

CallmeBerto and WiikeyHacker like this.
  11. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    So they want to be like Sony and make movie like Emoji Movie? Is that their idea of "entertainment"?

Bladexdsl likes this.
  12. smileyhead
    OP

smileyhead 56709

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Who said they want to stop making games?

13. Kallus

Kallus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    United States
    The title could imply this and you and everybody else knows how people will read the title and leave thinking that's how it is.

14. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Universal is opening a Nintendo land.

JiveTheTurkey likes this.
  15. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Virtual Console for mobile when?

Mr.Faq2015 likes this.
  16. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I think if they want to be seen as something other than a gaming company they will have to expand into new areas. Universal Studios has theme parks and even has games, but they're still seen as a movie production company, because that's 90% of their focus and everything else is just based on their movies.
    Mobile gaming is still gaming, and the "theme park" thing, so far is just a couple of rides at Universal Studios Japan, though I would like to see more of that. If those rides turn out to be popular then maybe we will see entire theme parks focused on just Nintendo, which sounds like lots of fun.
    And we have one confirmed movie. Which isn't actually made by Nintendo, so it doesn't even count. And considering the studio behind it, there's a high chance it will turn out to be mediocre.
    Mario himself isn't a terribly interesting character for a movie, as some people have pointed out, since there isn't really much lore about him, he almost never talks in the games, and the most important thing: could you really make an entire movie about stomping on Goombas and saving the princess? Or multiple movies? How would you make enough content to fill a feature length film? And if the movie isn't going to be about that, then what? It's just hard to imagine how they could make it work, especially considering it's going to be made by Illumination. Nintendo themselves could probably do a better job at it or even tie it into some new game, or create new lore through the games that can tie into later movies. But bottom line is Mario just isn't the best suited for movies.

In general it's still something I would like to see more of, I mean who doesn't want to see a live-action Zelda epic? It could become the next Lord of the Rings if done right. Or it could be mediocre as many video game movies tend to be. But it needs to happen, I need to see what could be. Some of their other IPs could make for good movies too, such as Kid Icarus.

Fun fact: There was an unofficial live action Zelda movie titled The Hero of Time, which, besides none of the characters looking like what they should and the complete lack of any special effects (obviously due to an almost nonexistant budget) is actually decent. Certainly much better than the Super Mario Bros. movie.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1808555/ - looks like it's easier to find online now than it was back when I scoured the Internet for it after it had been shut down by Nintendo, it's even on YouTube:

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Oct 5, 2018
  17. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Nintendo entertains me, through their games.

Glitchk0ud1001 likes this.
  18. Glitchk0ud1001

Glitchk0ud1001 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2016
    Mexico
    Somewhere with Princess Celestia
    two words "gaming company"

19. JiveTheTurkey

Nov 6, 2017
    United States
    Wow that's badass! Didn't know till now, although I'll probably be too schmuck to afford to go there. :rofl:

20. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Honestly, Kid Icarus needs a whole animated series, let alone a movie.

DinohScene likes this.