nintendo usb wifi vs wifimax

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by bitking, Jul 1, 2007.

?

What's the best?

1. Nintendo USB wifi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. WIFIMax

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Or Nothing...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jul 1, 2007

nintendo usb wifi vs wifimax by bitking at 3:57 PM (1,186 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. bitking
    OP

Newcomer bitking Newbie

Belgium
    Whats the best, the official nintende USB wifi or the WifiMAX?

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    neither, a router is much more stable than both of them.

3. marth989

Member marth989 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i have the official Nintendo usb wifi adapter and use it flawlessly with both

my ds and wii, simultaneously, i once had 2 ds and a wii hooked up to it

with no problems [​IMG]

4. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Seeing how I own both...

The WiFiMAX thing actually BSOD'ed my system a number of times. And the best part? Even with the "up to date" drivers which were crashing my system, I still could not use it for a long time without it killing me. The drivers are not signed for XP, it looks like. Otherwise, it worked okay, but it was confusing as hell. The manual isn't very in-depth about how to use the...ah, whatever program it was called to set up the connection.

As for the official Nintendo dealie, I think it works a lot better, seeing how it's designed for use with the Wii and DS. Both systems will automatically look for the connection when you select the options internally, and you can see what systems are connected to the dongle with the program included. It has only frozen my computer twice, after pulling it out. I'm not sure why, but it just happens that way somehow.

5. EarthBound

Member EarthBound a/s/l?

United States
    I use wifi-max since launch.

It says limited connection,but i can go outside,in the basement,anywhere.In it will have a 3 bar's..

works for me

6. halthewalker

Newcomer halthewalker Newbie

United Kingdom
    had the wifimax to start with but it kept giving me tons of grief. Barely seeing it, I had to configure the damn thing everytime I used it.

Got the nintendo one and it just kind of plays itself. It's great. Would recommend highly over the wifimax.

7. Reduxed

Member Reduxed GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i got the Nintendo Wifi, much better and easy to handle

8. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    Heh, a router would not be the best way to go. Who wants their wireless network on a WEP encryption scheme. Damn you Nintendo.

9. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    The best setup would be a heavily encrypted system with a router WPA-PSK, or whatever, and then the closest PC to you would have the official Nintendo USB Wifi dongle. A hacker would have to make their connection appear as a Wii or DS for it to be able to connect through that adapter, even as it is set to WEP.

Third party products, with a handful of rare exceptions, are usually crap. I mean think about it. The first party stuff was designed by the people that came up with the system. Why would you buy a third party controller or memory card? It'd be cheaper. And how is it cheaper? It uses a different setup/chips, whatever, to keep that cost point lower. And usually that means a piss poor product that will break in a fraction of the time the original one would have. So yeah, you saved money, but if you had to buy three third party controllers, one after the other after they keep dying on you, you would have been better off just getting the authentic one the first time around. Nevermind the fact in respect to controllers that they never feel right. ::ahem::

Carry on.

10. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
    a router..

11. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I use my routers wifi for the wii. Its a very stable connection. For my DS I use the nintendo usb wifi dongle. As my router tends to drop the connection every so often with the DS. With the dongle I have no problems.

12. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
    what router do you have? ^^ cause i use my router for both.. and its fine