Nintendo unveils Mario Odyssey & Breath of the Wild Labo VR compatibility

vr-kit-software-compat-trailer.jpg

With Nintendo's new Labo kit drawing closer, Nintendo has unveiled some interesting new content. Today, it was announced that Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild are to receive updates making them compatible with their new VR accessory. The update to Super Mario Odyssey lets you play three new 'mini-missions' in VR, whilst the Zelda update seemingly allows you to play the whole game using the goggles. These updates will arrive on the 25th of April, two weeks after the release of the Labo VR kit.

:arrow: Source

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait until they make a Majora's mask VR headset for BOTW :toot: but big N went right for its main audiences with Mario and Zelda so I would think this has to be a somewhat decent experience

i'm hoping this is more like a 3d depth experience like the 3ds

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Watch, Nintendo will come in with their little cardboard budget VR kit and provide the kind of gameplay we've all been longing for since the early 90's. Maybe not, but it would be funny if Nintendo schooled the expensive alternatives out there and showed everyone, once again, how it's done.

80 bucks is not cardboard budget. That's the price of ten good used Wii game disks. With 30 bucks or a bit more you can get the Switch game Sonic Mania Plus.

80 bucks is the price of two or three Switch games (okay maybe used, but whatever).

Google Cardboard is cheap, this is not.

Last edited by raxadian,
Reactions: Bladexdsl

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
80 bucks is not cardboard budget. That's the price of ten good used Wii game disks. Or four old PS4 game disks. With 30 bucks or a bit more you can get the Switch game Sonic Mania
Plus.

80 bucks is the price of two or three Switch games (okay maybe used, but whatever).

you can get it for 40

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
you can get it for 40

Yes, the starter version, that I guess does have a single mini game. Considering the targer audience parents will either be forced to eventually adapt a Google cardboard or build a second basic set, kids plus cardboard equals destruction.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I thought Mario Kart would be first to get a VR update...mainly because it can display 2 images without frame drops in 2 player mode.

I'm very surprised Zelda BOTW is getting this although i'm not sure if it will be fun to play this 200 hour game in VR.

Very hyped about Labo VR for sure, the software looks really fun this time!

Daisy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought Mario Kart would be first to get a VR update...mainly because it can display 2 images without frame drops in 2 player mode.

I'm very surprised Zelda BOTW is getting this although i'm not sure if it will be fun to play this 200 hour game in VR.

Very hyped about Labo VR for sure, the software looks really fun this time!

200 hour..? That's a bit much, I have 150 and get bored playing it within minutes now.

chandlercomicman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada

With Nintendo's new Labo kit drawing closer, Nintendo has unveiled some interesting new content. Today, it was announced that Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild are to receive updates making them compatible with their new VR accessory. The update to Super Mario Odyssey lets you play three new 'mini-missions' in VR, whilst the Zelda update seemingly allows you to play the whole game using the goggles. These updates will arrive on the 25th of April, two weeks after the release of the Labo VR kit.

:arrow: Source
IMG_20190405_122027.jpg

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
It's a novelty feature there as a sort-of fun gimmick for the Labo VR kit. Once again, Labo is targeted at small children, and it's not a serious move into VR by any means. The research on what good VR necessitates has been done, and the body of work is growing. We know that a high resolution and high frame-rate is paramount. Nintendo themselves have said that they've explored VR technology and aren't ready to jump into it yet, and I would concur, as it's still in its infancy and is awaiting mass adoption. You have to remember that Nintendo was actually first on the scene with VR with the ill-fated Virtual Boy, and have a body of research already amassed into stereoscopics thanks to the 3DS. The Switch's capabilities are good enough for the kind of lite VR you see on smartphones (Google Cardboard, GearVR), and not a serious VR product, and I'm sure Nintendo is keenly aware of that.

As such, Labo VR is just for fun, as another clever addition to the Labo lineup. It's unfortunate to see so many here looking through the lens of whether or not this interests them personally, as none of us here are the target audience. Of course it's not gonna be appealing to teens or adults without children.

The Breath of the Wild VR intrigues me, because it's likely just gonna be adding stereoscopic 3D to the base game. It will in all likelihood be 30fps, which is very much not ideal for VR. It can be done, a drop in visuals, and two offset cameras that are only having to render half the pixels, it would be less of a burden to run than it might seem. I can't imagine it would be very comfortable to play, motion sickness being a HUGE limiting factor to more involved VR experiences on any platform. But I'm content seeing it as a fun little gimmick for the heck of it.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this doesn't sell VR, nothing will. At least they are on full experiences...but I dunno, low FPS and low res VR.....I mean, I could barely VR on an Moto G6 Play....I dunno about the switch.
"if this doesn;t sell VR nothing will"
metroid prime trilogy and MP 4 VR

but we need a real headset with a strap not cardboard

seem like this might be the selling point of the switch pro

and BOTW will not be that great unless it is 1st person VR

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's a novelty feature there as a sort-of fun gimmick for the Labo VR kit. Once again, Labo is targeted at small children, and it's not a serious move into VR by any means. The research on what good VR necessitates has been done, and the body of work is growing. We know that a high resolution and high frame-rate is paramount. Nintendo themselves have said that they've explored VR technology and aren't ready to jump into it yet, and I would concur, as it's still in its infancy and is awaiting mass adoption. You have to remember that Nintendo was actually first on the scene with VR with the ill-fated Virtual Boy, and have a body of research already amassed into stereoscopics thanks to the 3DS. The Switch's capabilities are good enough for the kind of lite VR you see on smartphones (Google Cardboard, GearVR), and not a serious VR product, and I'm sure Nintendo is keenly aware of that.

As such, Labo VR is just for fun, as another clever addition to the Labo lineup. It's unfortunate to see so many here looking through the lens of whether or not this interests them personally, as none of us here are the target audience. Of course it's not gonna be appealing to teens or adults without children.

The Breath of the Wild VR intrigues me, because it's likely just gonna be adding stereoscopic 3D to the base game. It will in all likelihood be 30fps, which is very much not ideal for VR. It can be done, a drop in visuals, and two offset cameras that are only having to render half the pixels, it would be less of a burden to run than it might seem. I can't imagine it would be very comfortable to play, motion sickness being a HUGE limiting factor to more involved VR experiences on any platform. But I'm content seeing it as a fun little gimmick for the heck of it.
Nintendo's main business is hardware
they give us this labo shit to get you interested
you try and and want to see the full experience so they sell you the switch pro that is more geared toward VR but still not perfect they may even make a bundle with a proper headset included maybe even box it with MP trilogy VR or a Dl code

i can see them doing this , after the 2 new switch units announced this year the smaller more portable model and the pro drop they will probably make yet another model with even better VR maybe in time for the MP4 launch in 2048 , and do another bundle , switch pro VR plus new headset and MP4 included

just remember how many HW revisions they had of the DS and 3DS
they make their money from HW revisions ,they will string us along selling us new hardware with minor improvements like 3ds to N3ds , but probably with a little more differences between units

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i'll reserve judgement, i tried BOTW with my PSVR and it was cool and playable.
real supported VR may actually add some vr quality of life features, even if it is just nintendo's version of google cardboard

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
80 bucks is not cardboard budget. That's the price of ten good used Wii game disks. With 30 bucks or a bit more you can get the Switch game Sonic Mania Plus.

All right, maybe if you are living off school lunch money...

Anyhow, I was comparing to the Oculus VR, which this is much cheaper than for sure.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So how the fuck are you gonna play those minigames. Laying down with a vr headset balancing on top of your head because of no headband or pointing your head towards a table in a downward position ? Seeing it has the motion controllers attached to it, it'll probably have head motion but how the hell would you do this without a headband. Holding your hand against your face or literally scraping your face all over a table with your head pointed down.

Last edited by kumikochan,
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's main business is hardware
they give us this labo shit to get you interested
you try and and want to see the full experience so they sell you the switch pro that is more geared toward VR but still not perfect they may even make a bundle with a proper headset included maybe even box it with MP trilogy VR or a Dl code

i can see them doing this , after the 2 new switch units announced this year the smaller more portable model and the pro drop they will probably make yet another model with even better VR maybe in time for the MP4 launch in 2048 , and do another bundle , switch pro VR plus new headset and MP4 included

just remember how many HW revisions they had of the DS and 3DS
they make their money from HW revisions ,they will string us along selling us new hardware with minor improvements like 3ds to N3ds , but probably with a little more differences between units
They also rely heavily on software sales. They sell many systems at a loss in order to make up that loss via software sales.

But intriguing thought! Didn't really consider that they may attempt a move into VR with the upcoming "Switch Pro."

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how would that even work? I doubt theres going to be a first person mode, so what the heck would even be the point of vr support exactly?

what the heck even is that? That looks completely pointless. also, since when is "No eye focus adjustment" a plus? It claims that the "Headset Lens is set to a perfect distance between your eyesight and the Console" except I guess they forgot that nobody has "perfect" focal point and adjustment is basically always helpful. I just don't remember when it because a selling point that there ISNT a feature.
EDIT: Yeah, completely pointless. It's a magnifying glass and a tube with a switch mount. Literally completely useless. It's wouldn't even make a decent replacement for the labo cardboard not having a strap.

Last edited by samcambolt270,
Reactions: Solitario

Solitario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
how would that even work? I doubt theres going to be a first person mode, so what the heck would even be the point of vr support exactly?

what the heck even is that? That looks completely pointless. also, since when is "No eye focus adjustment" a plus? It claims that the "Headset Lens is set to a perfect distance between your eyesight and the Console" except I guess they forgot that nobody has "perfect" focal point and adjustment is basically always helpful. I just don't remember when it because a selling point that there ISNT a feature.
EDIT: Yeah, completely pointless. It's a magnifying glass and a tube with a switch mount. Literally completely useless. It's wouldn't even make a decent replacement for the labo cardboard not having a strap.

wait one chinese to make a cheap with focal adjustment, if zelda is of first person ^^

Last edited by Solitario,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr